Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:52 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,975 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering about Canadian border towns like Sumas, Birch Bay, Blaine. As a gay person I'd prefer to live in a country not run by hate mongers and war mongers so I'd like to get Canadian citizenship but in the meantime living over the border while I work on my options seems like a strategy. I'm wondering about the commute to Vancouver, CA and how much of a hassle is the border crossing. Which towns have a better quality of life (low crime, low pollution, outdoor activities, social activities)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 10:38 PM

922 posts, read 1,908,432 times
crossing the border will become easy if you have a passport and no criminal record. as for being upset with the US, relax, as soon as hillary becomes president things will be just fine.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:40 PM

454 posts, read 905,551 times
Not sure what country your wanting to avoid being in, but Sumas and Blaine are small town areas that have claim to fame as boarder towns, not much else.
Some areas around there are pretty conservative, so not sure you would find it to your liking.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:08 PM

2 posts, read 48,262 times
Default Canadian border towns

Geos, Sumas is a small town on the border approximately a 45 minute drive on the freeway to Vancouver B.C.Mainly farming in the area in the shadow of Mt.Baker, many Canadians have RV lots in the vicinity. It is somewhat sleepy and laid back, very picturesque,the folks we have met there are friendly towards all.Crossing the border here is a breeze, mainly because the vast majority of Vancouverites cross at Blaine, a busy place. Sumas is much quieter and one usually avoids long waits crossing here.There is not much work in Sumas if you were looking to live and work there.Mainly small stores and gas stations.
Outside of gays living in San Francisco, gays in Vancouver probably are quite close to them in numbers in the census poles. Not positive how many, but there is a huge number of gays living and enjoying the life here. You would definitely feel at home in the city, it is extremely cosmopolitan, lived in and close by all my life, #16th original member of Greenpeace where it all started, when I joined so many years ago, I at that time like everyone else had no idea were it would go) people don't hold hatred towards others like some cities seem to have a tendancy and are known to do. Gay folks as mentioned are readily accepted I believe although I am straight, I do believe this to be the norm, the feeling is to each thier own, you have the right to be what you want and most here live by this belief. There are a very few I've met that don't, the usual idiots you find anywhere, only less so here. You would feel comfortable for sure. People seem to treat others with respect. The general concensus in Canada is that Vancouver is very laid back in its attitude to others wanting to relocate.You will be amazed how easy it is to become involved in your surroundings and make good friends easily. Lots of great groups to join if that's your wish.The climate in Vancouver is mild year round being on the ocean. Snow is something that rarely happens and when it does, people usually panic with no snow tires and so on. It never lasts long, but we do get our fair share of rain in winter, something like Seattle, 180 miles south.
I'm not certain if you would be looking to work or be going to college etc, but jobs at present are very plentiful. Everyone is looking for staff it seems. Vancouver is one of the fastest growing cities in North America and the building boom just keeps getting stronger. No gun totting allowed in Canada which makes for much lower crime problems as opposed to other large urban settings stateside. Drive bys are what people do when looking for real estate here, not the firing of weapons out car windows! Get caught with a handgun here and its goodbye for a long long time. I could go on for hours about one of the most beautiful cities on the planet which it has been voted several years in a row by Conde Nast, a world renowned travel outfit. If you want more info, or I can help in some way, don't hesitate to give me a shout off line. You will not regret making a change such as this in your life and I doubt once here, you will ever look back. And no, we don't speak French here, English is the language of choice along with a large population of asian speaking Orientals and East Indian dialects. Good people and a great melting pot of diversity makes Vancouver one fine place to call home.
Take care
Tom

Old 11-03-2006, 05:25 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,975 times
Thanks for the great info on Van, CA & border towns. Sounds like my cup of tea. The only negative I've heard is possible drug related crime since pot is one of the largest industries in the area.

Personally, I'm hoping for Obama.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:11 PM
amo

5 posts, read 66,534 times
Default Me Too

I think he would make a great President also.

Canada is a great country, but just as dangerous as any other. I have lived way up north and now on a little bit of US soil, attached to Canada, over west of Blaine. Do most of our shopping, dining, entertainment in Vancouver and suburbs rather than making the drive south to the mainland.

Love it...Love both contries...wouldn't move.

But please...human nature prevails no matter where you live.

There may not be drive bys in Vancouver...but hit and runs are common in the Vancouver area...very common. I have heard that many Canadians prefer their illegal handguns to no guns at all. There are breakin's and kidnapping's... evil of all kinds...just like in the US of A.

Socialized Medicine is not what it used to be, if you are thinking of immigration. My Canadian bil died at 47, last year, because the system kept delaying appointments and tests and surgery.

Survival of the fittest in Canada...survival of those with good health insurance in the US.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:12 AM

642 posts, read 2,551,606 times
I am looking at Birch Bay a place to consider as far as being in a good location and within driving distance. In particular Birch Bay Village.
I am Curious about crime in the Blain & Bellingam area though. Is most of the crime do to pot being legal in Canada? That doesnt sound like it would be a harsh crime area but I could be wrong.

Can you get a job in Canada?

Im going in a couple weeks to check out living in Bellingham or Birch Bay is there any place you would recommend looking at?

Bellingham would make it over an hour drive from what mapquest said. I have noticed mapquest is off on drive times is this an accurate time for driving to Vancouver?

Thanks for the help!

Old 03-30-2007, 11:34 AM

177 posts, read 847,483 times
During "rush hour" (7:00 am - 10:00 am), it'll take you well over an hour to get to downtown vancouver after you make it across the peace arch or truck crossing borders. 'Forget about the time it would take to get back into the States, especially during the summer, on Friday nights, around any holidays, The traffic has gotten really bad over the years - and is only going to get worse. My recommendation is if you want to live in the States and work in Vancouver, check out Point Roberts (which is right next to Tswassen, BC). It's really spendy to live there - and there's not much there - but it is US soil and will cut your commute time down a bit.

eileen

Old 03-31-2007, 01:30 AM

642 posts, read 2,551,606 times
Isnt Birch Bay so close to the border and Vancouver? Does it take the driving time down a lot to be north of bellingham and not deal with Bellingham traffic as well?

Old 03-31-2007, 05:06 PM

177 posts, read 847,483 times
Birch Bay is four exits from the border - but that's not the point. The point is Vancouver isn't *just* over the border - it's 25 miles from the border.

I used to live in White Rock, BC (which is right over the border) and it would take me an hour to get to downtown Vancouver outside of rush hour. During rush hour, it could take as much as 2 hours 15 minutes. (You have to remember that once through Richmond, Hwy 9 turns into a "stop and go"street.) Add that onto the commute from the States plus the border crossing time and you'll see it's really not feasible nor economical (gas in BC was 1.10/litre when I was up there two days ago). As I said earlier, Point Roberts is a choice. It's expensive - but given the amount of time/fuel you'll go through just trying to get from "wherever close to the border "mainland US" to Vancouver and back, it might be worth it. Besides, Point Roberts is a really lovely place (not that Birch Bay isn't) - where Blaine, Lynden, etc. are, ummm, well, not very sophisticated.

eileen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington