Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 01:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
We're from So. Cal and we're first driving up to Redding to visit my brother for a couple of days, then we'll start our road trip from there, cutting across the 299 to the coast, then traveling up the Oregon coast with 2 overnight stays.
From there we'll be driving the Olympic Loop from Quinault to Forks and ending up either in Port Angeles or Port Townsend. Then we'll ferry to Whidbey Island and drive over Deception Pass... (last minute decision when someone suggested it and I saw some pics!)
From there not sure yet, but we'll make our way to Seattle for two full days there, then down the 5 to Portland, (want to see that waterfall!) maybe Crater Lake if we get lucky then back down to my brothers for an overnight before heading home.
What waterfall?!?!? We're pretty much on the same path through Oregon to Deception Pass. I'm not sure what we're doing after that either. So far, I have plans to stay on the San Juan Islands, but I might take some of the advice others have given and do something completely different. I scheduled the hotel for near the airport in San Fran. I will need to schedule the hotel for the last weekend in Seattle just to make sure I have a place. Everything in between is up in the air as I slowly make reservations it will all come together.

Quote:
Noticed you're going to Yosemite... hopefully, you'll be there during the week rather than the weekend, it can get pretty crowded, but most schools wont be out yet so it wont be in full swing.
I changed our itinerary so we're arriving in Yosemite after memorial day weekend. I was planning to do Carmel and Big Sur first, but I'm having trouble finding somewhere worthy to stay. There are rooms, but I'm hoping to find the right rooms. I' m not having any problems finding awesome places on the weekdays though. It will all work out.

I need more information on Oregon. People are telling me that I need to spend more days at our destinations in CA and WA. I'm wondering if we should just take an entire day and drive through Oregon along the coast, or if it's truly worth stopping overnight. My husband and I are capable of driving all day long. If doing one long drive for one day helps make the other days feel less stressful, that might be the solution to my scheduling problem. I understand that the Oregon Coast is the most beautiful of the West Coast with the exception of Big Sur. So I don't know. Gotta think about it.

Quote:
If you can't get a place (although you're bringing a tent so hopefully you'll be fine) in the park there are places outside the park you can stay at. We did this twice and it was great! Spent a very full day in primarily the valley area and rented bikes for a few hours. (I'm trying to remember if we called and reserved the bikes)
So much fun!
Yes! Biking! I'm so glad you mentioned that. I'll definitely want to rent bikes!

Quote:
Have a wonderful trip! Hope we both get lucky with the weather, although I'm fine with fog and drizzle.
Maybe we'll get some peeks of sun or partly cloudy days!
Being from Pittsburgh, I'll be totally fine with partly cloudy days. Even cloudy days as long as it's not a downpour. I understand the rain in that region is more like a mist. That won't feel like rain to us. I do hope there's nice sunny weather for your sake. Being from southern California, you're used to sunshine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 03:00 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
About Oregon, I am driving from Seattle to San Diego in June using I-5 just after Portland and US-101 in Oregon. My first overnight stay will be in Crescent City, CA, but I have been to Portland and Seaside/Cannon Beach many times. Driving through Oregon on the coastal highway is doable in 1 day if you only stop at viewpoints and for lunch and gas.

http://goo.gl/maps/ksyhq

Last edited by Botev1912; 05-15-2013 at 03:09 AM..

Old 05-15-2013, 09:12 AM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What waterfall?!?!? We're pretty much on the same path through Oregon to Deception Pass. I'm not sure what we're doing after that either. So far, I have plans to stay on the San Juan Islands, but I might take some of the advice others have given and do something completely different. I scheduled the hotel for near the airport in San Fran. I will need to schedule the hotel for the last weekend in Seattle just to make sure I have a place. Everything in between is up in the air as I slowly make reservations it will all come together.

I changed our itinerary so we're arriving in Yosemite after memorial day weekend. I was planning to do Carmel and Big Sur first, but I'm having trouble finding somewhere worthy to stay. There are rooms, but I'm hoping to find the right rooms. I' m not having any problems finding awesome places on the weekdays though. It will all work out.

I need more information on Oregon. People are telling me that I need to spend more days at our destinations in CA and WA. I'm wondering if we should just take an entire day and drive through Oregon along the coast, or if it's truly worth stopping overnight. My husband and I are capable of driving all day long. If doing one long drive for one day helps make the other days feel less stressful, that might be the solution to my scheduling problem. I understand that the Oregon Coast is the most beautiful of the West Coast with the exception of Big Sur. So I don't know. Gotta think about it.

Yes! Biking! I'm so glad you mentioned that. I'll definitely want to rent bikes!

Being from Pittsburgh, I'll be totally fine with partly cloudy days. Even cloudy days as long as it's not a downpour. I understand the rain in that region is more like a mist. That won't feel like rain to us. I do hope there's nice sunny weather for your sake. Being from southern California, you're used to sunshine!
This one! And it's only 30 minutes outside of Portland!
Multnomah Falls is a Must | Oregon

Big Sur is another place where you can stay the night at one end, have a day to drive through enjoying some of the lookouts and short hikes (make sure to go on the path that gives you a good view of the pretty waterfall that spills onto the beach) have lunch, on the way and then stay somewhere on the other end.

I can relate to the "whilrwind" style of road trips. I like to explore even if I only get tastes. The one thing I did learn though is if there's a place we really want to see and want a full day there, it will mean a 2 night stay. Whether in the same motel, or as I've mentioned on either side of a place.
For instance, if we get into Seattle in the evening, we can enjoy dinner and some evening activity, spend a full itinerary the following day, spend a second night and take off in the morning to the next destination.
Otherwise, we don't mind driving, (we have a great sound system for our 300 plus movie soundtrack collection! LOL) and if it's a scenic drive, that's an activity in itself.

Thanks for the good weather wishes... I'm a displaced native Californian! I get cranky when it gets over 75 and the sun is beating down on me! LOL! Must be my Finnish genes, and I also married a Brit, so I developed a taste for drizzle when I was over in England a bit.

OBTW, I have a suggestion for the California Coast, (a really fun hike that takes just a couple of hours) but I'll look for your California thread this afternoon after I get back from work.
Thanks for these threads, I'm getting a lot of good ideas myself!

Cheers!

Old 05-15-2013, 09:32 AM

492 posts, read 1,041,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What waterfall?!?!?
I need more information on Oregon.
Likely it's Multnomah Falls, a tall popular waterfall on the Oregon side of the Columbia River Gorge, east of Portland. There's a parking lot below it, a short walk to it.

To each their own as always, but I wouldn't recommend the North Cascades highway through Chelan, Leavenworth and Cle Elem. It is pretty, some parts excellent, but it's also much driving for the benefit. I'd take three days for such a trip, the better to see the highlights.

You say you're thinking of skipping the San Juan islands. They're nice all right but you wouldn't be missing much, given what else you're seeing. Not much difference between seeing the sound from land poking out of it, versus seeing it from the mainland. And yes you'd save some ferry trips that can get tedious.

You say you're thinking of driving straight through OR. Oh no! I've road tripped a few weeks there; there's so much to see. If you do too much coastline your trip may have too much of a good thing. Looking at the map it's a tough call for a recommendation. If I was going between Redwood NP and Mt. Rainier, without much time, I'd head up the coast to Newport and then over to I-5 and up from there with a side trip to the gorge (a must see) and Multnomah Falls, or, if I had an extra day, head up the coast to Florence, then over to Bend, stay the night there, from there to Hood River, stay the night there, it's a picturesque town. The next day you're leaving through the gorge and past Multnomah Falls. If you're interested in more about this latter route let me know and I'll list some highlights. You would not be disappointed!

Most everyone's said Mt. Rainier is a must see. I checked the Paradise snow depth; it's currently 10 feet! Yes it would still be cool to see by mid-June, but it's much more awesome in August. If you think you'd return on another trip you might consider replacing Rainier with St. Helens, saving plenty of boring driving too.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:39 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,465 times
Multnomah Falls! I posted a pic on the Oregon forum. I came here to start my own thread and got caught up in yours! Lot's of useful info, but will start my own, also.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
About Oregon, I am driving from Seattle to San Diego in June using I-5 just after Portland and US-101 in Oregon. My first overnight stay will be in Crescent City, CA, but I have been to Portland and Seaside/Cannon Beach many times. Driving through Oregon on the coastal highway is doable in 1 day if you only stop at viewpoints and for lunch and gas.

Seattle, WA to Crescent City, CA - Google Maps
It's good to know it's doable depending on how everything pans out when I'm making reservations.

Quote:
This one! And it's only 30 minutes outside of Portland!
Multnomah Falls is a Must | Oregon
Big Sur is another place where you can stay the night at one end, have a day to drive through enjoying some of the lookouts and short hikes (make sure to go on the path that gives you a good view of the pretty waterfall that spills onto the beach) have lunch, on the way and then stay somewhere on the other end.
It's gorgeous! I eliminated Portland early on to make room for everything else. I've always wanted to see Portland though! People compare it to Pittsburgh. We'll see how it pans out when I start making my reservations.

Quote:
I can relate to the "whilrwind" style of road trips. I like to explore even if I only get tastes. The one thing I did learn though is if there's a place we really want to see and want a full day there, it will mean a 2 night stay. Whether in the same motel, or as I've mentioned on either side of a place.
For instance, if we get into Seattle in the evening, we can enjoy dinner and some evening activity, spend a full itinerary the following day, spend a second night and take off in the morning to the next destination.
Otherwise, we don't mind driving, (we have a great sound system for our 300 plus movie soundtrack collection! LOL) and if it's a scenic drive, that's an activity in itself.
I wish I didn't have to make reservations. I'd much rather wing it and let the trip unfold as we go along. But everyone is acting like hotels are hard to find so I guess I need to commit to an itinerary.

Quote:
Thanks for the good weather wishes... I'm a displaced native Californian! I get cranky when it gets over 75 and the sun is beating down on me! LOL! Must be my Finnish genes, and I also married a Brit, so I developed a taste for drizzle when I was over in England a bit.
I do not do hot, humid, and sunny well at all. Rain is my favorite type of weather. I love rain. I know it's weird, but I do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
You say you're thinking of skipping the San Juan islands. They're nice all right but you wouldn't be missing much, given what else you're seeing. Not much difference between seeing the sound from land poking out of it, versus seeing it from the mainland. And yes you'd save some ferry trips that can get tedious.
I'll admit my main attraction to the San Juan Islands is wanting to do a whale watching tour.

Quote:
You say you're thinking of driving straight through OR. Oh no! I've road tripped a few weeks there; there's so much to see. If you do too much coastline your trip may have too much of a good thing. Looking at the map it's a tough call for a recommendation. If I was going between Redwood NP and Mt. Rainier, without much time, I'd head up the coast to Newport and then over to I-5 and up from there with a side trip to the gorge (a must see) and Multnomah Falls, or, if I had an extra day, head up the coast to Florence, then over to Bend, stay the night there, from there to Hood River, stay the night there, it's a picturesque town. The next day you're leaving through the gorge and past Multnomah Falls. If you're interested in more about this latter route let me know and I'll list some highlights. You would not be disappointed!
This sounds like a nice compromise that might turn out even better than the original plan. I'll definitely let you know. It will probably be later in the week or this weekend since this is later in the trip. I'm scheduling the first days in CA today and tomorrow.

Quote:
Most everyone's said Mt. Rainier is a must see. I checked the Paradise snow depth; it's currently 10 feet! Yes it would still be cool to see by mid-June, but it's much more awesome in August. If you think you'd return on another trip you might consider replacing Rainier with St. Helens, saving plenty of boring driving too.
That's a good point. My husband wanted to see both but I cut out St. Helens. I can easily cut out Rainier instead. He's happy as long as he sees one of them. I remember spending a week in the Adirondacks, driving endlessly to Whiteface. It was stunning and beautiful but more appropriate if we had relocated our campsite there instead of just going to see it. We had a dog and an elementary school child with us though so we stayed at the same campground all week. That didn't stop our Labrador from having an encounter with a bear in the middle of the night. I thought the tent was going to fall over. The dog was inside the tent, the bear was on the other side. Everyone survived but it was very frightening.

Every time I go camping, I have a bear encounter. Once was when I was returning from the bathrooms in the middle of the night to discover a bear between me and our campsite in WV. I started calling out to my husband. Everyone in other campsites woke up. My husband slept through my plight. LOL I've never been where there are grizzlies and it's freaking me out that there are grizzlies in the Pacific Northwest.

That's a whole different ballgame and a whole different set of rules. Curl up in a ball and remain as quiet as possible during an attack?!?!?!?! Stay quiet during an attack!!!! How would that even be possible?!?! It would hurt too much to be quiet! If I have a grizzly encounter, I know it's not going to turn out good. I asked hubby, "How will I know the difference between a black bear and a grizzly?" (Since the rules are different.) He responds, "You'll know when you see it. Trust me." LOL

Look at me rambling. See what comes to my mind when I think of visiting a mountain!!!!

Old 05-15-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
Multnomah Falls! I posted a pic on the Oregon forum. I came here to start my own thread and got caught up in yours! Lot's of useful info, but will start my own, also.
I'll have to keep my eye out for your thread. I'm sure it will have lots of useful info too.

I've really appreciated all of your help over the past few days.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:13 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,465 times
Hopes re: motel reservations. Sometimes I go ahead and make "just in case" reservations at Motel 6 or Super 8. You can cancel without payment I think 24 hours, less at Motel 6. Then, as you go, you can cancel the rooms when you find other lodging or change your itinerary. I always feel more comfortable knowing that I have a place in the vicinity....just in case.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:10 PM

192 posts, read 423,843 times
Just wanted to say welcome from a fellow Pittsburgher! There are quite a few of us out here Looks like you have a nice trip planned and the weather here in my opinion is way better than in the burgh so you will be fine no matter what. I am excited to see what you think of it all after being here, it is quite different than my beloved Pittsburgh! Have a safe trip!

Old 05-15-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
Hopes re: motel reservations. Sometimes I go ahead and make "just in case" reservations at Motel 6 or Super 8. You can cancel without payment I think 24 hours, less at Motel 6. Then, as you go, you can cancel the rooms when you find other lodging or change your itinerary. I always feel more comfortable knowing that I have a place in the vicinity....just in case.
Thanks for the tip! That's a great idea for trying to get a last minute deal on a great place. I'll keep it in mind if I can't find exactly what I want.

I've got the first half of the trip figured out and reserved. When I learned that Tahoe was dirt cheap, I splurged for Yosemite Lodge at the Falls. I've reserved the following: 1 night near the airport, 2 nights Big Sur, 2 nights Yosemite, 2 nights Tahoe, and 1 night wine country. Now I'm focusing 100% on Oregon and Washington!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaJ412 View Post
Just wanted to say welcome from a fellow Pittsburgher! There are quite a few of us out here Looks like you have a nice trip planned and the weather here in my opinion is way better than in the burgh so you will be fine no matter what. I am excited to see what you think of it all after being here, it is quite different than my beloved Pittsburgh! Have a safe trip!
Thank you! How exciting! How long have you been in there?

I've heard many great things about Seattle, along with some social aspects that aren't quite for outgoing Pittsburghers. Since everyone is polite in Seattle, the Seattle Freeze shouldn't really impact me as a visitor. It would probably drive me crazy as a transplant. It can't be denied that it's an absolutely beautiful region. So many awesome places nearby. It's perfect for nature lovers.

I'm glad to hear a Pittsburgher will like even the worst of Seattle's weather. I believe it too!

I'll definitely following up in all of my threads with a trip report and PICTURES afterwards!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington