Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 06:25 PM

158 posts, read 450,474 times

Advertisements

I understand that in order to become eligible, one must pass a written exam, two orals, and the CPAT. What I do not know, however, are the following:

1) Do you just take the exams and go from there?

2) Are there any prep courses for the written, oral, and CPAT?

3) Is the WSP Fire Academy where you go if you get hired?

4) Once you pass the tests and are considered 'eligible', you may apply anywhere, yes?

5) Are medical waivers given if the individual can perform their required duties? (I'm not handicapped; just that my vision in one eye does not meet the requirements.)

6) Are certain applicants given precedence over others? If so, which ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 12:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
YES to MOST of the above... Many depts have their OWN testing requirements, and NO you are not eligible for hire if you JUST pass exam.

Many get their training / certs as volunteers for 20+ yrs.
5) Waiver MAY be impossible - definitely pursue this question with certifying agency.
6) Applicants with HUGE precedence will be Vets, with minority status. They will get perks to their score that you cannot match if not one of them, AND they have hiring preference. (as do other minority classes)

VERY difficult to make it into a Fire Dept without being of a minority class that is under represented. If yo are a white male... save years of anquish... consider a different career.

Age and experience?

This is another avenue On Call: Student firefighters protect their campus - Our Story
Whoops, WSU closed that option (but other communities / schools still have it)...WSU News Center - WSU will obtain services from city

Tho I would go for this program... Excellent program and dept, and LOTS of rescue skill training.

Town of Vail * Resident Program
Fire Department Jobs and Careers | FD Careers
https://www.firecareers.com/subscrib...8daf7ddcac1c3b

Many get their training via military, and airport fire Depts (a lonely job...)

Old 05-27-2013, 08:56 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
First, you start by working out and running to get into shape to pass the physical part.

Then you find a job opening and apply. Take the written, take the physical, pass the interview, go on the waiting list.

I seriously doubt that anyone with any sort of non-correctable vision problem can get hired. I don't remember ever seeing a fireman with glasses.

Preference, yes, probably military veterans and definitely people with previous experience. There might possibly be a language preference in areas where less than common languages are spoken by the majority.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:48 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
#6. As the others said, veterans get preference.

I have a nephew in the Marines for this very reason.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:22 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,214,793 times
I'm not sure about here in WA, but in CO I know that veterans dont get any special preference and that the most qualified are hired. Also, get involved as a volunteer especially if on a larger department with paid and volys. That will get you skill and experience as well as connect you with people for jobs. Most FF's in CO seem to come with voly experience. Another route is to get on a wildfire crew for a seaso or two as that is becoming an important part of firefighting in most districts. Again, not sure how that compares here.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:30 AM

Hmm. So... Volunteer (which is, I think, 25 hours minimum per month). Can hours be chosen?

See, I work a full-time job and support my wife and kid. So, there is that. But I want to be able to do what it takes.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:46 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,028,196 times
As StealthRabbit has said, it may be difficult to get waiver for vision as my friends who are retired firefighters have told me that if you can't meet the minimum vision requirements, it may be a detriment for adequate job performance. If you feel that you can demonstrate adequate vision to perform the duties, chances are that you are meeting the minimum requirements anyway.

Most, if not all, municipal fire departments in the state are in LEOFF (the DRS --Department of Retirement Systems-- retirement plans for police and fire) and I believe that all firefighters have to meet the LEOFF MMHS (Law Enforcement Officers' and Fire Fighters - Minimum Medical and Health Standards). It sounds as if you are familiar with MMHS as you seemed to imply that you already know the vision requirements. If not, here is the actual vision requirement "law" pertaining to LEOFF: click here

Here is the MMHS in it's entirety which you've probably already looked through but just in case you haven't: click here ...it will be toward the bottom of the page.

Again, I'm not a firefighter but know several retired LEOFF firefighters so others may have to correct any faulty information I post here.

And to again refer to SteathRabbit's post, I would not disagree with his assessment that most fire departments emphasize hiring veterans, and under-represented demographic groups, specifically women, ethnic minorities, etc. but I dispute his assertion discouraging any white male from applying. That, in my opinion, is not good advice. If you in fact are a white male or any other white male who has the strong desire to be a fire fighter, should follow through with the process. Sure, you may see less qualified applicants get hired ahead of you but that doesn't mean that you should give up and find a different career. Even in Seattle and some of the bigger departments, white males are still being hired, after all. And, remember, if you are applying at a department away from metropolitan areas, the pool of applicants may not have many from under-represented groups applying so you may have a good chance of getting hired.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:22 PM

I am not limiting my options to the Seattle area. If I am to be listed as eligible for hire, I will seek out employment in a various number of states.

I have met in passing many of the firemen from the Renton FD, and all of them were white. Not to get racial, but it seems a good sign for me.

Thank you all for the info and encouragement.

So the only prep courses are associates degrees? Unfortunately, as a full-time employed individual, I cannot make time for that. Crap. I can take the tests as many times as desired, yes?

Old 05-27-2013, 07:41 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,214,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uRabbit View Post
Hmm. So... Volunteer (which is, I think, 25 hours minimum per month). Can hours be chosen?

See, I work a full-time job and support my wife and kid. So, there is that. But I want to be able to do what it takes.

It varies by department. You do usually need to live/work in the district.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uRabbit View Post
Unfortunately, as a full-time employed individual, I cannot make time for that.
Hmm, firefighting career may not be for you if this small obstacle is too much. If you really want to be a firefighter, you need to feel the passion and if you feel the call, taking classes is a small problem. You should feel excited about taking a class because you love the topic. Lots of people are employed full time and even with kids and a wife, yet they still find a way to get what they want out of life.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
It varies by department. You do usually need to live/work in the district
We would move.

Quote:
Hmm, firefighting career may not be for you if this small obstacle is too much. If you really want to be a firefighter, you need to feel the passion and if you feel the call, taking classes is a small problem. You should feel excited about taking a class because you love the topic. Lots of people are employed full time and even with kids and a wife, yet they still find a way to get what they want out of life.
I am definitely not opposed to taking classes. But what am I to do when my schedule does not allow for it?

edit: Volunteer Firefighting could count as work experience, as opposed to going to a campus, yes? And can one choose which days they are available? (I assume that they may choose, as long as that day is not already full on Volys).

edit2: It looks as though Bellevue College's schedule would not be much of an issue with my schedule. Most of their classes (all but two) are offered at times/days that work for my schedule, and the others I would be able to swap work days during those classes. I will continue looking at other courses as well. 2.5 years of schooling would be more than I thought it would take, but if I want to make it happen, I gotta do what it takes, yeah? I'm not too old to be starting, at 26, am I?

Also, does having an Associates give much preference during the hiring process, or is it mainly just to prep you for the exams? I noticed that almost all of Bellevue College's courses were offered online, giving me somewhat of a feeling that it wasn't very practical hands-on experience. Would volunteering not be a better way to go about it?

Last edited by uRabbit; 05-27-2013 at 08:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington