Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 11:09 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times

Advertisements

This is what happens when citizens want low taxes. It took Japan 6 (six) days to rebuild collapsed roads after the tsunami in 2011. I can't imagine how long this would take in the US. This reminds me of my thread 2 months ago: //www.city-data.com/forum/washi...dangerous.html

Last edited by Botev1912; 05-24-2013 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 11:22 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,561,982 times
Alberta trucker driving oversized rig caused Washington State bridge collapse (with video)

A trucker from Alberta is responsible for this bridge accident, eh?

Old 05-24-2013, 11:58 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Modern bridges are designed so that a single oversized load striking part of the bridge's superstructure won't just bring the entire thing down. That's an enormous design flaw when you think about the potential for accidents.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:05 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
This is what happens when citizens want low taxes. It took Japan 6 (six) days to rebuild collapsed roads after the tsunami in 2011. I can't imagine how long this would take in the US. This reminds me of my thread 2 months ago: //www.city-data.com/forum/washi...dangerous.html
Are you sure that is attributable to how much people are taxed? You would certainly agree that Germans pay a lot in taxes. When I lived in Idar-Oberstein it took them 2 years to repave and repair a regular bridge. They can be working on a stretch of the autobahn for months. It probably has more to do with red tape, union work laws, and who knows what else. I don't even know if it costs less money when they drag things out. It probably costs more.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:50 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
I didn't say high taxes mean faster fix. I meant bridges wouldn't collapse in the first place if taxes are higher because when taxes are low there is no money for regular maintenance.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:02 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
It's going to be a lot longer than "weeks" before this is fixed. It's going to take that long for the engineers to look at the structure and come up with a plan on whether they replace the one span or the whole thing. This is a rare opportunity to build a new bridge with wider shoulders and no overhead structure on a major route and I have a feeling that the federal and state governments are going to just replace the whole thing.

Then they'll have to build it, and possibly build new approaches. It's not going to be functional again for a year or two.

If you're planning a trip to Vancouver in the next year or two, start making your Amtrak reservations.
Its 3 weeks before departure for the lowest price...they could extend the Sounder up and add Emergency Commuter Rail relief...

Old 05-24-2013, 01:03 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
I didn't say high taxes mean faster fix. I meant bridges wouldn't collapse in the first place if taxes are higher because when taxes are low there is no money for regular maintenance.
Or it means that the government is not really putting enough money into the road maintenance, then crying poverty to raise taxes to do so... only to divert that money elsewhere. Seattle does that all the time, why wouldn't the State and Federal Gov't do the same?

Old 05-24-2013, 03:02 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Last year the bridge was inspected twice and repaired.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:17 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,933 times
Quote:
I see. In a perfect world yes. As InkPoe mentions, politicians don't always prioritize well. In a society with high taxes, politicians don't have to be so good at prioritizing. When taxes are low their poor prioritization manifests itself. They usually fund all over their unnecessary stuff first, and then cry for money for schools, firefighters, etc. If you looked at the state budget you would definitely find items that were funded over this that shouldn't have been.

Also, states received a ton of money for the stimulus. You see construction projects all over the country with the "American Recovery and Reinvestment Act" sign prominently displayed. The feds were begging for "shovel ready" projects. It's quite possible that some human sitting in some agency simply didn't think the bridge was an issue and it was too far back in his mind. Some explanations come down to nothing more than an error in human judgment.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:47 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Get a crane barge up there now, and start removing the damaged portions. Get engineers from all the Western states to come up with a plan, and give it to CC Myers of California, and get out of the way. These guys rebuilt I-10 in LA, and the collapsed section from truck explosion at the bay bridge in record time. The guy that owns CC Myers lives to out perform everybody and get er done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington