Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2007, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 5,929 times

Advertisements

We are going to relocate from Kentucky to Ft. Lewis next summer and are considering buying a house in the area. Safety and good schools (elementary + middle school) are our top priorities. I heard that Dupont is a good area to start looking. Any input will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 11:11 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,139,105 times
Dananryan,

Many military families prefer to live in Dupont. Dupont is a fairly new, planned community that is located right across I-5 from Ft. Lewis. It has a quaint town center with many restaurants and small businesses. The only thing missing is a supermarket. Most military families will go to Ft. Lewis to shop at the commissary, or drive 10 minutes south to shop in Lacey. Homes in Dupont have appreciated quite a bit and currently it would be difficult to find a single family home under $250K. For people with children Dupont is ideal, as Dupont is in the Steilacoom school district, which is much better than the Clover Park school district the students who live on Ft. Lewis would have to go to. From Dupont you're in Lacey in 10 minutes and in Tacoma in 15-20 minutes. Many homes in Dupont have a view of either Mt. Rainier, the golf course, or Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains. I just wrote an article on Dupont that you can read here:
Northwest Landing / Dupont - A Unique Community
And a market study of the Dupont real estate market here:
Dupont is a great place to invest
As far as schools, I just read an article recently which said that because of the fast growth of Dupont, the local Cloe Clerk elementary school is overcrowded. The middle school and high school children attend school in Steilacoom, which is 15 minutes away.
As far as good schools and safe environment, Lacey and Olympia are also great places to live in close proximity to Ft. Lewis. Homes in Lacey tend to be a bit cheaper than in Olympia, but the Olympia schools tend to perform a bit better.
I think you'll love it up here. Many of the families I've met, who've PCS'ed here from Kentucky enjoy the Ft. Lewis area. Good luck with your move.

Sandy

Old 11-06-2007, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 5,929 times
Sandy,

Thank you so very much for the information. I have started researching the area a little and love it already. We will most definitely try to buy in Dupont, providing we can find the right house, which could prove difficult as I am very, very picky and know what I do and don't want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington