Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 06:24 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,834,783 times

Advertisements

I have a neighbor, well, really several families living in a single family house they rent next door. There are about 15-20 people living (including their kids) in a four bedroom house in Auburn and it's getting pretty ridiculous.

Their cars spill in front of everyone elses house, there is CONSTANT traffic coming and going from the place, their kids play in the street day and night blocking traffic, refusing to move half the time, and they have LARGE gatherings of 30+ people 3-4 times a week.

I'm not sure what to do. I talked to code enforcement who said that it's difficult to prove they are all LIVING there full time. They did confirm this is a RENTAL property (which requires a license in Auburn). The landlord has a rental license of course. I found her phone number and am tempted to call her.

These people are a huge nuissance in the neighborhood, loud mariachi music, parties, cars parked everywhere, etc.

What should I do? I'm tempted to call the landlord who may not know that there are so many people living in the house, but she may very well know and not care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 08:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
If contacting the landlord fails, unless they do something illegal your only recourse is to move when your lease is up. I'd expect you to get better results by mailing a letter to the landlord with pictures. If there are more than 2-3 cars left all night they could be in violation of their lease by having too many people living there.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:36 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Call the landlord, ask her if they're all legal tenants.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:12 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,214,793 times
So do you expect a better answer this time by not identifying them as Hispanics? But seriously, call the landlord. They may have no idea what is happening and would appreciate the intrest in protacting their investment. Worst case is they don't care and you are no worse off.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:45 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
When you hear the music, bring over a case of Bud Light and see what happens.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:05 PM

6 posts, read 9,791 times
Take pictures, record video, document what you see until you've built up a "case" then contact the owner/landlord of that property. Check with your other neighbors and see if they would be willing to write letters and join in on supporting your cause. If that fails, contact http://www.tenantsunion.org and see if they have any ideas on how you might resolve this situation amicably. BUT, before you do any of that... Have you tried simply talking to the neighbor at a more peaceful time to express your concerns and frustrations?

Old 06-14-2013, 05:17 PM

29 posts, read 44,624 times
Everyone has given great advice. We had terrible luck with neighbors for years. The only solution that worked was us moving away. Most likely they will not and if you do get them kicked out, there's a chance someone worse will move in. At least that's what happened to us.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
If it is a GOOD neighborhood and you desire to stay. BUY the rental house and choose your own neighbors. I have done than many times. Now I buy rental houses next to my rental houses to improve the neighborhood for my renters. All of my purchases in last 20 yrs have been in rural neighborhoods, so sometimes you need to buy a farm next door. Run the financial numbers... If it cash flows within your needs, it could be a good purchase.

If you are a 'home-body' you need a place of retreat @ home.

It is SO nice to have QUIET in my different homes. I can leave the windows open for 50F cool summer nights and only hear the occasional distant rumble of train and barge ~ 5 miles away and 1,000' lower elevation. Occasional a cow or calf will bellar. & Coyotes at sundown.

One of my rental houses has neighbors with hound dogs and motorcycles it is very irritating to even work over there. Very peaceful view property.

so... today...I just put an offer on the house with the hound dogs and hope to 'buy-out' the noisy neighbor. No, it is not for sale, but neither has 25+ of the other properties I have bought.

Good neighbors are a blessing.
Bad Neighbors are a problem...(sometimes ends with guns or similar)

Old 06-15-2013, 08:42 PM

42 posts, read 141,936 times
Call the police over every single noise complaint. Call the owner of the house and let them know. If the owner does not care, find a way to make it a pain for the owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: