Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 11:07 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,030,016 times

Advertisements

I'll defer to Mr. Rabbit for most of the responses going forward as his advice makes more sense. I'm not too bright as you can probably tell.

@2, yes, I don't think that would make sense. I would think you'd want to establish residency in the state which you will be attending graduate school. I don't know if graduate school tuition follows the same rules as undergraduate tuition, but I know the difference in cost is quite huge for an undergraduate.

@4, Bellevue is a huge suburb of Seattle and is part of the general metropolitan Seattle area ...where Bellingham is not as it's about 85-90 miles north of Seattle. Bellevue is part of the metropolitan area's "Eastside" which, in general, is considered to include the more affluent suburbs of the Seattle area. It's where Microsoft had their first office after moving to Washington from Albuquerque New Mexico. They moved the headquarters to Redmond, an adjacent suburb, some years later. Bellevue has a huge Asian population. Something approaching 30% and will also have a rather large (but not the largest in western Washington) Korean population. In Bellevue/Redmond, you will be in the thick of Seattle's technology sector which is experiencing significantly more growth than that of northern California's Silicon Valley. Living in the Bellevue area, however, you will be in the typical "suburbia."

Last edited by poopskooper; 06-22-2013 at 11:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 01:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj278 View Post
... go to graduate school in California but live in Washington=? Grad school is not apt to have OUT-OF-STATE fees (who needs them with Stanford at $120k/yr !) Go to grad school where you will get the best EDU (and connections) for the career field and employers you have targeted. Alumni take care of their own. IT is ALWAYS best to get the informational interviews and study the background edu of hiring managers... If they are Cornell, you are Golden

....*I'm still on the fence on whether I should move to Washington or northern California No CA as in Redding or Eureka, or Bay Area? (I would just come to live in WA, CA is better to VISIT) I was just there today... $80 and 1.5 hrs on SWA

...4) I'm still looking around the Seattle area and Bellingham also. Do you guys know anything about Bellevue also? Bellevue = SPENDY living but often better wages... the DREAM of many, a NIGHTMARE for some. High rent district, high rollers. My son works there, work place parking garage is full of $100k cars + one $400 VW GTI

5) How much money do guys think I need to save up starting now to make the move? 6 months living expenses OR have a job secured BEFORE you move here

... I'm making these decisions on my own right now and you guys are my only support.
Get used to it (Making decisions on your own....). My dad got disabled when I was age 17, the day I turned 18 I became a legal guardian for him and cared for him for the next 32 yrs). Decisions for him and me and my family were all mine... and plenty were wrong . (And plenty still are wrong... knowing how to "make lemonade out of lemons" helps). Life throws curve balls (and lots of STRIKES).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-23-2013 at 01:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington