Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 07:56 PM

129 posts, read 202,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Well, as far as cost-of-living goes, Northeast and North Central Washington are certainly some of the cheaper areas of the state. The downside, however, is that any real estate in this state is going to be more expensive than Texas, from what I've heard.

As far as renting - we are still renting while building a house, our rent is $870/month for a small, older-but-decent-shape 3 bedroom house on about 3/4 of an acre, which seems fairly average for the area. Just for reference.

There are plenty of houses in Kettle Falls (a small town just west of Colville) that overlook Lake Roosevelt, but there aren't many houses actually built on the shoreline around here. There are multiple very small lakes in the area with houses built-up around them though. If you are really interested in living on the water, then the areas around Lake Chelan and/or Lake Entiat - just north of Wenatchee in Central Washington - would be a much better choice. But then again, the cost-of-living is much higher there, since it's more of a resort-type area.

Housing prices, of course, are all over the place, but I would expect you to be able to get a nice house overlooking the water on an acre or two for around $250,000 if you looked hard enough.

Again, don't know if any of that helps...
Well, living in Austin where the cost of living has skyrocketed, this actually sounds really good. We are living in a 2 bedroom apt right now (to save money) and are paying right at $1000/month not including any utilities. So in the heat of the summer when the electric bill runs $400/month, you can see how Washington is sounding better and better. A house on the lake in Austin is probably no less that $1M. Austin is very expensive. Too much so if you ask me.
So yes, your information does help quite a bit and I thank you for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 12:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugLoverof4 View Post
In talking about how beautiful NE Washington is, that's perfect unless you can't afford it. What is the cost of living like there? We would very much like to live on about 2000/month. (If possible). The other thing is, we would like to live in a smaller town or maybe something that is actually right on the water. Is there anything like that?'

Thanks a bunch!
As long as you don't need WORK... Ione, WA is pretty cheap and right on the water too. (It is also in a valley and plenty COLD in the winter (often fogged in till noon). Cusick, Metaline Falls similar.

Kettle Falls would be more to my liking, but is slightly more expensive and more accessible. From Ione, you need to drive to Colville anyway for significant shopping or services.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
As long as you don't need WORK... Ione, WA is pretty cheap and right on the water too. (It is also in a valley and plenty COLD in the winter (often fogged in till noon). Cusick, Metaline Falls similar.

Kettle Falls would be more to my liking, but is slightly more expensive and more accessible. From Ione, you need to drive to Colville anyway for significant shopping or services.
When you say "fogged in" until noon, does that mean a lot of moisture in the air? I will definitely look into Ione, Washington as another option. Thank you for the new suggestions. All suggestions are appreciated!

Old 09-19-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugLoverof4 View Post
When you say "fogged in" until noon, does that mean a lot of moisture in the air? I will definitely look into Ione, Washington as another option. Thank you for the new suggestions. All suggestions are appreciated!
"fogged in" means foggy till noon (can see about 100 yds) I have a friend that lives ~ 600' above the river (@ Ione) and it is sunny at higher elevations in mornings, as the fog lies along the water / valley. Takes a lot of firewood in either location (~ 7 cords / yr). at higher elevations you live with 3' of snow from Nov to March. 1 ft of mud April and May. Nice summers and fall. ~ 20 lakes within 20 miles.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
"fogged in" means foggy till noon (can see about 100 yds) I have a friend that lives ~ 600' above the river (@ Ione) and it is sunny at higher elevations in mornings, as the fog lies along the water / valley. Takes a lot of firewood in either location (~ 7 cords / yr). at higher elevations you live with 3' of snow from Nov to March. 1 ft of mud April and May. Nice summers and fall. ~ 20 lakes within 20 miles.
And this is at Ione? I'm definitely going to do more research on this area.
Does anyone know where the closest place to do some ice fishing would be? Do people go up into Canada do do this by chance? It's just something I would really like to try my hand at.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:18 PM

Both Ione and Kettle Falls will have ice fishing lakes within 20 miles (maybe within 5 miles UPHILL). They have the best climate in WA for it.

Ione has advantage of being next door to ID as well as BC. (while you're looking in the neighborhood). BC is TOUGH to beat for outdoor adventure and GREAT camping.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Both Ione and Kettle Falls will have ice fishing lakes within 20 miles (maybe within 5 miles UPHILL). They have the best climate in WA for it.

Ione has advantage of being next door to ID as well as BC. (while you're looking in the neighborhood). BC is TOUGH to beat for outdoor adventure and GREAT camping.
So is there a downside to Ione? Lol. What are the people like there? Are they friendly and easy to get to know? Or do they not like outsiders?

Old 09-19-2013, 09:04 PM

Same as most of WA... pretty ez going community. With good and bad. Not sure how they will feel about Pugs. I've never seen any there,

Downside of Ione = remote and cold, not much to do in winter ... That might be an 'upside' 4 U.

As mentioned... climate and sun and access to Colville (jobs / shopping / medical / EDU) is better in Kettle Falls. Try them both on for size and see what fits your like'n.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:01 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Same as most of WA... pretty ez going community. With good and bad. Not sure how they will feel about Pugs. I've never seen any there,

Downside of Ione = remote and cold, not much to do in winter ... That might be an 'upside' 4 U.

As mentioned... climate and sun and access to Colville (jobs / shopping / medical / EDU) is better in Kettle Falls. Try them both on for size and see what fits your like'n.
LOL! I know for a fact that there are quite a few pugs in Colville, Kettle Falls, and even Ione.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:33 PM

300 posts, read 414,156 times
We have been lived at Austin for 30 years and we are in a process moving to Seattle. Both Austin and Seattle are nice cities and we just want some changes after 30 years in Austin. We have visited Seattle many times. The cost of living at Seattle is MUCH higher than Austin. I means EVERYTHING is higher except property tax. $2,000 a month will be very difficult if you think $2,000 in Austin is tough. We are bugeting 3 times that amount and we are still not sure whether we could keep the same living standard as we have at Austin.

But, the cool summer is a big plus for us. We are going to give it a try for few years. We might be back to Austin if it does not work out.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington