Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2013, 11:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,785 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've been stationed in Fort Lewis and I will be relocating there next month. In the meantime, I've been researching some places to live and could use some information from Washington natives.

A little about myself: I'm a single male originally from Chicago and love the night life. I see myself living somewhere relatively close to a city since I enjoy going to the bars on the weekends. I'm also a snowboarder and would like to take advantage of any good resorts in the area.

I want to live about 15-30 minutes from the base and would be open to just about anywhere that have a city-like feel to it.

Any and all information is much appreciated!

Last edited by JMar01; 10-22-2013 at 12:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 11:22 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,139,105 times
It sounds like you should try to find a place to live in Tacoma. It's the nearest big city to Fort Lewis.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:02 PM

489 posts, read 964,029 times
The cities just to the north of Ft. Lewis cater to folks like yourself. You'll have no problem finding a place starting in Lakewood.

-Mike

Old 10-22-2013, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,785 times
I'll definitely look into it. Is the traffic bad in those areas?

Old 10-25-2013, 09:45 PM

162 posts, read 348,971 times
Traffic sucks at peak times anywhere between ft lewis and seattle. If you get off work at 4 pm, then expect to wait 15 min in traffic to get to the freeway. The on ramp coming on to the freeway from fort lewis does not get its own lane, but merges into traffic causing huge back ups that extend past the front gate. I used to work on base for AAFES.

Tacoma is a fairly large city. Rent prices vary a lot. You get waht you pay for in terms of neighborhoods. There is a small town called tillicum literally across the street from ft lewis and it is kinda shady, but it's 5 minutes to any just about every gate from there. Rent is cheap, but beware of suspicious characters roaming the streets and the homeless constantly asking for change and cigs.

Lakewood is a decent area. There is the lakewood town center, lots of grocery stores, a tech school, and other places of interest. Those are also available in tacoma but distanced apart much further from each other.

Nearest big-city like chicago is seattle. Which is about 45min to an hour away. There are buses that will take you up there as well. Tacoma is more like a big city on a diet. It does have a downtown area with an active night life as well. Can be kind of a sausage fest at times though. Best of luck.

PS: Buy a raincoat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington