Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 12:24 PM

181 posts, read 356,930 times

Advertisements

Looking for anyone with experience, positive or negative with the WGU Washington Teacher's Licensure Program.

When comparing this to the ABCTE cert program that Idaho accepts ($2500) it looks like a very similar program. WGU gives you 6 month terms at $3k, with an estimated 2year completion... but that is a $10-12k cost and it includes the demonstrative teaching. Is this the required practicum?

My gut tells me I'll find a job easier once completed (than say doing the ABCTE and moving to Idaho), but completion will take longer, and it is still $10k compared to the $2500 for ABCTE.

I want to teach College level engineering but can't find a job, teaching high school math is my back-up although I'd be happy with it if ends up being life-long. I don't know whether I should do the quicker, cheaper ABCTE and work in Idaho.. maybe only until I can find a college level teaching job (which may still happen - but going to take longer than I thought). Or bear down (with all of my tax return money plus some) and study up and get the higher quality cert in WA. I think WA teachers are paid a little more as well.

My questions are:
Is finding a permanent teaching job with WGU alternative (OR even a regular teacher's certification) easy/hard/impossible in WA?

WGU says it's self paced... if I can get through it faster maybe it'll just be $3-6 not $12k. ABCTE says they only have a 50% pass rate, do you think its about the same for WGU?

Any advice from anyone who's completed it? Specifically with regards to 6-12 Mathematics?

It says I can "apply directly for licensure in WA". What is meant by apply directly for licensure? Does that mean a paid job? Or do you still have to do an internship? Any tips on how to get a practicum after certification? Do I contact the schools directly? Sub? Volunteer? And position after the internship?

The last thing I want to do is have more education and still no job! But I really want to teach for a living as I've taught a couple of college courses and have enjoyed all of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington