Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 09:26 AM

6 posts, read 10,431 times

Advertisements

First I want to start off by saying that both my boyfriend & I have jobs that already said they would try to transfer us if we decide to move and that unless we can get the transfer, we will not move unless we fly out there and find another job first.

Now I have a health issue that has gotten me to start smoking instead of using the prescription pills I was using. My surgery will be in a month but after that we will still want to move desperately. I have always wanted to leave Florida & so has my boyfriend. I miss NY but it's just way too expensive plus medical marijuana isn't legal there (yet at least). We would be looking for somewhere that isn't in the middle of nowhere, but also don't want to live in a huge city. With our jobs, we both work at a University. I can basically transfer anywhere if there's an opening & the university has my company used for dining purposes. Also we would like to grow a few plants if possible. How are Washington's laws with that?

When suggesting towns please keep in mind we wouldn't be able to pay more than $750 a month in rent & would prefer to pay as little as possible obviously. We don't care how fancy things are, as long as we're in a safe enough area we are okay. We LOVE mountain views & cold weather. Both of us hate the heat, if it's over 75 we feel like it's too hot (we understand that most places reach those temps though so we're not asking to live somewhere that doesn't get hot at all)

We are both in our mid 20s. We don't really go out and party much, we'd rather stay home or at a friends house and have a small gathering watching movies, playing guitar, smoking, & maybe have a few beers. Nothing too crazy.

Also, how are the fees in Washington for medical marijuana? Do you pay for the card each year to renew it? I don't really understand how it works & would appreciate some help to enlighten me about it.

Last edited by NYfloridian; 12-12-2013 at 10:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 12:13 PM

611 posts, read 1,209,993 times
Here are the RCW's pertaining to medical cannabis.

Chapter 69.51a RCW: MEDICAL CANNABIS(Formerly Medical marijuana)

I believe the cost is in the doctor's visit and the purchase of cannabis from a dispensary as it is being treated as a prescription drug and the dispensary is a specialty pharmacy.

20 states have legalized medical marijuana, so there are plenty of options close to your home state of NY.

Medical cannabis in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-12-2013, 12:29 PM

32,791 posts, read 48,606,617 times
Yup. Should be lots of dopers moving to Washington now that marijuana has been legalized.

OP, you should not need a medical marijuana card in Washington state. Pot isl legal so you can sit around with all your friends watching movies and smoking dope.

I have doubts about finding a rental for $750 a month close to a university. But check on Craigslist. That should give you some sort of idea what rents are in the various areas near universities.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:18 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,542,817 times
You are allowed to grow a few plants as long as it is for personal use. I have no idea about medical marijuana, but I am sorry you have a health condition that warrants its use. Just wanted to mention that a university can still ban their employees from smoking, so you may want to check with university policies prior to a transfer. Also, as you probably know, federal laws do not mirror state laws. Occassionally the feds do a drug bust at a medical marijuana clinic even though Obama has stated it would not be a federal priority, at least from what I read in the paper. I know this doesn't answer your question, but here is the current marijuana position in Seattle:

http://spdblotter.seattle.gov/2012/1...se-in-seattle/

medical use info:

http://medicalmarijuanaseattle.com

http://mynorthwest.com/11/2320786/Fe...Tacoma-Olympia

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3653071.html

Last edited by west seattle gal; 12-12-2013 at 03:35 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 04:30 PM

n/a posts
if you're allowed to grow it, why would anyone buy it? i mean, i'd grow it and just give it away...three or four plants and you'd have so much you wouldn't even know what to do with it...

Old 12-12-2013, 05:33 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,334,932 times
I don't think it's really clear yet how the new recreational marijuana laws will affect medical use. Everything will be carefully regulated and taxed, though - you can be sure of that.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,950 posts, read 82,060,860 times
Even here in the Seattle area it will be 80-86 in July and August, but the rest of the year you will find it nice and cool compared to Florida. The cost of living is much higher, though. For your rent budget you will find a small, older studio apartment in a less desirable part of Seattle, or in one of the farther out suburbs such as Everett, or Auburn/Kent. Where the most jobs are is where the rent is highest so you could have a long commute, and most universities are in an around Seattle. Take a look at Bellingham, a college town with lower cost (but not that much) and slightly cooler summers, or Cheney in Eastern WA.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:06 AM

6 posts, read 10,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Even here in the Seattle area it will be 80-86 in July and August, but the rest of the year you will find it nice and cool compared to Florida. The cost of living is much higher, though. For your rent budget you will find a small, older studio apartment in a less desirable part of Seattle, or in one of the farther out suburbs such as Everett, or Auburn/Kent. Where the most jobs are is where the rent is highest so you could have a long commute, and most universities are in an around Seattle. Take a look at Bellingham, a college town with lower cost (but not that much) and slightly cooler summers, or Cheney in Eastern WA.
Thank you so much for recommending Bellingham to me. I absolutely love Spring Creek Apartments. The fact that you can have a garden is a major plus for us. We love gardening and we make fresh apple juices every morning so the Apple Orchard is perfect.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:53 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,438,351 times
They advertise doctors in the Stranger and on craigslist who write medical marijuana prescriptions. Looks like 100-200 dollars for a prescription good for a year.
I think with the recreational marijuana stores opening, there will be pressure to close down the medical stores. I have absolutely no problem with people being able to smoke pot recreationally or medically, but frankly, Seattle seems to have too many dispensaries. Drive down Rainier Avenue, there must be a dozen between the Rainier Valley and Rainier Beach, including a "farmer's market" next to Borrachini's bakery. It's easier to find pot than espresso in Seattle. Somebody who combines those businesses could probably make some real money.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:20 AM

611 posts, read 1,209,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
They advertise doctors in the Stranger and on craigslist who write medical marijuana prescriptions. Looks like 100-200 dollars for a prescription good for a year.
I think with the recreational marijuana stores opening, there will be pressure to close down the medical stores. I have absolutely no problem with people being able to smoke pot recreationally or medically, but frankly, Seattle seems to have too many dispensaries. Drive down Rainier Avenue, there must be a dozen between the Rainier Valley and Rainier Beach, including a "farmer's market" next to Borrachini's bakery. It's easier to find pot than espresso in Seattle. Somebody who combines those businesses could probably make some real money.
That's funny. I must be oblivious, but I didn't even know there was one just a few miles from my house in Olympia. It had been there for years. I just thought it was some sort of naturopath clinic until my then teenager pointed it out to me, lol.

We moved from Washington just a few days after recreational use became legal. Curious how it has affected the climate/culture of the area, or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington