Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 07:48 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times

Advertisements

Yes, I did a "search" here first, but does anyone have experience with WHITE SALMON ? How are the schools ? Is it a nice 'up and coming' area ? Good investment ? We will be visitng this spring and am doing research on this part of the state. It was suggested by a teacher friend from Portland that the schools are very good with a fine reputation-agree? Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 03:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
WS is pretty good, but for a really good nearby school check out Trout Lake !! ~ 30 miles north. It has turned into a bit of a resort community, but has very nice people and a school staff (and community) dedicated to academics.

WS props have really sky rocketed, as it is a desirable location, We sold our last prop there ~ 6 yrs ago ($50k building lot that we bought for $26K a couple yrs earlier, the lots are now $200k !!) I find the folks there quite nice, and weather is pretty good too. It is just between the rain (Stevenson) and the rattlesnakes / ticks (Lyle). Biggest drawback is that you will spend a lot of tolls ($.75) going to Hood River(HR), as there is not a lot in WS. A hardware and a grocery up in WS and a NAPA (auto parts) down the hill in Bingen. Most folks do a monthly Costco run to east Portland ~ 40 min. There is a Walmart in HR, tho it is not politically correct to shop there . HR also has a Safeway and other larger stores, but most of retail growth is in The Dalles, as it is much cheaper to buy prop there, tho climbing with presence of Google. Of course the sales tax free OR shopping will pay your tolls, but will hurt your retailers (and non-elected governor) in WA.

I know a school counselor in WS, and they struggle with the usual problems which are adequate for a small district. (social disparity with 'new' wealth, while still meeting the needs of the locals, some transient from fruit packing / orchards) there are the other problems, but the benefit that it is small and addressible, and folks seem to care about the school, and its not so 'suburban' to be a detractant.

Not to worry, the previous locals (farmers, ranchers, wood lot / foresters) are leaving due to unaffordable taxes, most are just going to Goldendale / Bickelton, but being hit there too. Future challenges in WS will be dealing with 'board-heads' & developers as city council members and managers. So you need to be adaptable to unconventional change (tho not necessarily bad, likely more expensive than conservative).

Everyone I've known to live there, likes / liked it.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:44 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
janb, thank you so much for taking the time to post so thoughtfully. You have provided us with a wealth of information.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:44 AM

5 posts, read 14,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
WS is pretty good, but for a really good nearby school check out Trout Lake !! ~ 30 miles north. It has turned into a bit of a resort community, but has very nice people and a school staff (and community) dedicated to academics.

WS props have really sky rocketed, as it is a desirable location, We sold our last prop there ~ 6 yrs ago ($50k building lot that we bought for $26K a couple yrs earlier, the lots are now $200k !!) I find the folks there quite nice, and weather is pretty good too. It is just between the rain (Stevenson) and the rattlesnakes / ticks (Lyle). Biggest drawback is that you will spend a lot of tolls ($.75) going to Hood River(HR), as there is not a lot in WS. A hardware and a grocery up in WS and a NAPA (auto parts) down the hill in Bingen. Most folks do a monthly Costco run to east Portland ~ 40 min. There is a Walmart in HR, tho it is not politically correct to shop there . HR also has a Safeway and other larger stores, but most of retail growth is in The Dalles, as it is much cheaper to buy prop there, tho climbing with presence of Google. Of course the sales tax free OR shopping will pay your tolls, but will hurt your retailers (and non-elected governor) in WA.

I know a school counselor in WS, and they struggle with the usual problems which are adequate for a small district. (social disparity with 'new' wealth, while still meeting the needs of the locals, some transient from fruit packing / orchards) there are the other problems, but the benefit that it is small and addressible, and folks seem to care about the school, and its not so 'suburban' to be a detractant.

Not to worry, the previous locals (farmers, ranchers, wood lot / foresters) are leaving due to unaffordable taxes, most are just going to Goldendale / Bickelton, but being hit there too. Future challenges in WS will be dealing with 'board-heads' & developers as city council members and managers. So you need to be adaptable to unconventional change (tho not necessarily bad, likely more expensive than conservative).

Everyone I've known to live there, likes / liked it.

i love your reply to the above question and I have one myself. I am looking at reloacting there for a job in (WS) but have to biracial children. I worry that race could be an issue. Any thoughts on this and acceptance? diversity?

Old 07-06-2008, 05:27 PM

3 posts, read 19,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly_3737 View Post
i love your reply to the above question and I have one myself. I am looking at reloacting there for a job in (WS) but have to biracial children. I worry that race could be an issue. Any thoughts on this and acceptance? diversity?
You need not fear for your children or yourself because of race. While not as diverse as large cities, a large portion of the community is Hispanic. There are Native Americans and there is a sprinkling of Black and Asian residents as well. Even the racists behave themselves, which is about all you can hope for.

There are other comments here about going to Hood River for activities and shopping. While that's one way to go about things, it would be better if people would shop first in town and only cross the river for things not available. The reason for this is that retailers can't stay in business if people don't support the shops. Everyone complains that there are no stores and we need more restaurants, but they all head over to Hood River while the business owners on the Washington side of the river struggle to make the rent.

Hood River is definately more dynamic and is becoming a little more urban. In the summer, the town can double in size from tourists. I find it a little too busy for my liking, so White Salmon makes more sense for me.

Comments about "boardheads" are misplaced. The windsurfing sport is a mere shadow of its former self. Land prices have been driven up primarily by people retiring to the area. There are also a number of second home owners... about 17% of residences in the 98672 zip are owned by part-time occupants. (It's about 25% in Hood River.) Agriculture remains a mainstay of the local economy as does timber, though you're more likely to find organic farming operations and selective cut operations in timber than in the past.

The local library offers wireless Internet as well as computers for public use. It is part of the Fort Vancouver library system and has fabulous research and procurement services... you just have to ask.

White Salmon is a great, quiet, rural town. If that's what you want, it's wonderful.

Last edited by katdancin; 07-06-2008 at 05:55 PM..

Old 05-08-2010, 02:21 PM

48 posts, read 111,174 times
to revive an old thread...but how are properties prices now?

Old 05-08-2010, 07:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danisiri View Post
to revive an old thread...but how are properties prices now?
pretty solid.

Insitu hired a bunch of folks this year (~ doubled its size) and had to spread operations to Dallesport and Stevenson to get enough commercial prop to house employees.

If their new parent (Boeing) pulls the plug on their nice work environment, props may go down.

It's a desirable area that is land and utility (water) constrained, so prices have held up well. Bare land has suffered the most (since 'city' water is not available)

Hood River is still strong, thus WS is strong too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington