Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 05:29 PM

424 posts, read 2,696,336 times

Advertisements

Hi Ryan. Thanks for the info. Glad to see you are still on the Forum. I'll be planning another trip to WA and will get a chance to narrow my search to just the Grays Harbor/Shelton/Olympia areas. Looking forward to checking out the restaurants, etc. and pretending to be a local. Have to hide the rental car with the CA plates.

I was born in IL but grew up in Temple City in LA County. My husband is home grown and has lived all his life in Sacramento and the immediate area. Our dogs are a Malamute/Husky mix and weighs 130 pounds (mostly Mal) and a German Shepherd/Husky mix. I've lived in the foothills (Loomis, Rescue, Shingle Springs) since I was twelve. I don't have any relatives in OR or WA but love the rain and cool weather, so I feel like it will be right for me.

Glad to hear crime won't be a problem. I've read and heard about the drug problems in the Shelton area but I always lock my doors and the dogs make a good alarm system. One of our friends is a deputy sheriff and he says just keep an eye out and get to know our neighbors. We are having a problem in the nicer areas here with home invasion robberies which is really scarey. Just two days ago one of my husband's coworkers was burglarized and they took everything but the furniture (even took her toothbrush and all of her clothes). That was in Sacramento though.

People are nuts here too, so it must be all over. Seems you hear every week about someone who leaves their car running in the driveway to warm it up and someone takes off in it. Sacramento is now famous for having the largest number of hit and runs in the nation. Lots of gangs around also.

Looking forward to living in a saner place soon. It finally started to rain. Yeaaaa! We've been watching all of the storms in WA and willing them to head south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2006, 06:28 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,271,143 times
Hi KidBlue, you grew up in Temple City...I was born in Alhambra and grad from Arcadia h.s. small world. We moved here to southern Utah from Claremont, where we had lived for 6 years, before that it was 18 years in Covina.

We are supposed to get the northern storm down here tomorrow late, they are saying maybe 'snow'. We'll see...we had snow once last winter, in March. That was it. It does get cold though. It was so freaking hot here this summer I don't ever want to go through that again...that's the reason, one of them, for the Elma mobile. Plus the relatives!

Have a good evening all....

Old 01-01-2007, 04:33 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,356 times
Are you from Amador county?
Plymouth is nice- a little haunted though
I was looking through some of your posts - My husband and I are currently living in Modesto (ugh) but from Amador County orginally- looking to move to Washington.. Just aren't sure where yet..

Old 01-01-2007, 05:02 PM

Hi, Kid Blue is from Placerville Area, think that is El Dorado county, could be wrong. Maybe she will check in.

We are headed up to Washington via NorCal on the 12th. Our son lives in Rocklin and is house hunting, so will spend a few days with him then head up to WA on the 16th. We need to finish taking title to the mobile while we are up there and figure out what to do as far as paint, carpet, etc...I'm not sure how long we will be there, need to hook up utilities, etc...plan to get back home to So Utah around the 23rd sometime.

Our mobile is in Elma, located between Olympia and the ocean on highway 12, I believe.

Have a great day..

Old 01-01-2007, 06:13 PM

424 posts, read 2,696,336 times
Default Checking In

I actually live in the huge town of Latrobe in El Dorado County, but used Placerville on my information because no one would know where Latrobe is. But if you lived in Amador Co., you might know where Latrobe is. Latrobe is about 15 miles to the west of Amador Co.on Latrobe Road. I love to hang out in Amador though and have breakfast every Sunday at Marleen and Glen's Diner (AKA The Dead Fly Diner).

I travel to Modesto for work regularly also--in fact I will be presenting a couple of workshops on Jan. 30 in Modesto.

I'm also looking forward to retiring in WA, but haven't decided on exactly what town yet. I loved Elma and Montesano but may look more toward Olympia and Tumwater where there are more services closer by and the area is not described by Forum commenters as "red neck" or "hick." Latrobe is very rural, but is close enough to Sacramento so it is not so red neck.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:57 PM

Greetings...

We just returned from rainy Grays Harbor. DH and I had to sign the paperwork for the mobile we just purchased in Elma. Had a good time catching up with my aunts and cousins. We will be heading back in April sometime, too rainy and cold right now to do much painting and updating.

Have a good evening!

Old 03-09-2010, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,542 times
Hello everyone, I am from Aberdeen originally, and left for 20 yrs, to AZ, Vegas, and Tacoma area. But 7 yrs ago I moved back, because of my children, all of my family is here and I love it now. The crime is minimal, my brother is a police officer for Aberdeen. Life here is simple but beautiful. Oly is only a 40 minute drive, the beaches are 30 minuntes. Shelton is great if you are wanting to live away from everything, I would prefer Hood Canal it is gorgeous, if you are coming up to visit you will want to take the weekend and do the 101 trip through Hood Canal, Sequim, Port Angeles, and Forks, then back through Ocean Shores.. Now that is a weekend of beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington