Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 05:27 PM

424 posts, read 2,696,336 times

Advertisements

I've read the information on City-Data about Shelton, but was wondering if anyone has more information about the city. I was wondering how Shelton would compare to Elma/Montesano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 40,380 times
Default I lived in Shelton, WA for about eighteen years.

Shelton, WA is a small city, with a Wal-Mart, a McDonalds and a Fred Meyer grocery store. The Simpson lumber and timber industry used to be the biggest employer, but now wal-Mart is the biggest. The schools are okay, not the best, but a little better than what you'd expect.
It's pretty much a hick town. It's a nice place to race a family, if you are a white, middle-class family.
I'd say Elma is a nicer place to live, but Shelton is good if you want to work in Olympia, but can't afford to live there.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:27 AM

43 posts, read 197,953 times
Default Ditto on the last post

No go on Shelton. Dumpy hick small. Live in Olympia if you can.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:37 PM

534 posts, read 3,110,601 times
Compared to Elma/Montesano, I prefer the Shelton area hands down (I live north of Shelton). Looked at Elma/Montesano but I have alergy issues and I'm more of a mountains kind of guy than a flatlander (more agriculture in those areas). Also proximity to Bremerton, Olympia, and Tacoma are a factor. There is also the hood canal which offers unique options that I could go into for a while.

And not to be picky but the government is the biggest employer here (mostly education/social services/park services). I think there are ~ 2700 government employees in the county which would make it 5x the employement size of Walmart, Safeway, or the Correction Center, which all make up the next 3 largest employers.

You'll find most of the county data here (which is basically Shelton + anything around it)
http://www.ci.shelton.wa.us/

I know people think Olympia is nice, but I wouldn't raise my kids there. I like having it close by for shopping though.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:02 PM

6 posts, read 46,511 times
I worked in shelton for a while, I found the town a real drag and full of hicks.

And I thought I was a redneck!

Old 02-04-2007, 05:11 PM

3 posts, read 43,434 times
We moved to Shelton in 2004 from out of state. It is rather a hick town. What dismays me is the poor infrastructure. Horrendous roads and virtually no sidewalks. Some neighborhoods still have gravel roads in town! I sometimes think we pay our property taxes merely to give those 2700 city and county employees their bi-weekly payroll. ;-) We're retired and would love Olympia, but cannot afford to buy there now. Considering a move to Eastern Washington in a year or two. I'd like to be able to have more convenient shopping and selections and walk in my neighborhood on a sidewalk. We live and learn I suppose.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:39 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
Lots of puppy mills there!

Old 02-06-2007, 05:19 PM

534 posts, read 3,110,601 times
patnormcar, which part of town do you feel is lacking sidewalks..? I'm surprised to hear that only because of the number of kids that walk to school... I do agree roads in the downtown area could use some patching up though.

As for the redneck factor, it does exist - for all I know, I may be one. I don't feel like I'm a redneck but for all realistic appearences, I might fit that shoe. I drive a 4x4 PU, have a red neck during the summer months, listen to country music, prefer domestic beer, jeans only/wild hair/hathead/plaid shirt wearin, conservative outlookin, gun possessin, DIY kind of guy. I've even smashed a beer bottle a few times and yelled out YEEEHAW or HELL YEAH at outdoor events.

For anyone reading this thread, Mason county would best be described as a country atmosphere, with heavy emphasis on family and kids. The county is a huge tourist destination during the warm months and my guess is that possibily 50% or more of the homes here are for summer use only. If you don't have kids and expect city convenience, you won't probably won't find what you're looking for here unless you like spending all your free time outdoors hunting/fishing/camping/hiking/quading/boating. There are less than 10k people in Shelton, so it doesn't really have the population that would accomodate the level of cultural activies some might desire.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:55 PM

3 posts, read 40,380 times
Shelton is absolutely terrible for raising kids. There's nothing for them to do except drink beer, do drugs, and get pregnant. There used to be a video arcade, but not anymore, in fact, when I was a kid in Shelton, for fun I went to Olympia and played around at Music 6000 until I got kicked out for never buying anything, or I went to downtown Olympia. Now that I think about it, down town Olympia sucks too, because all of the horrible Shelton kids I went to high school with moved there.
I ould recommend that nobody move to Shelton, WA if possible. It's just a horrible place to live. Even Belfair would better than Shelton, or Gorst, or even Grapeview, and Grapeview isn't even a real town.
If you have to live in Shelton, the Lake Limerick area is nice, but expensive.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:35 PM

3 posts, read 43,434 times
The entire Hillcrest area lacks meaningful anything. A very run down area. Plenty of the Mountain View area is without sidewalks. Street signs in residential areas are hit and miss. Bad for newcomers. The city seems to have stopped in time. The county has over 55,000 souls and to do meaningful shopping go to Kitsap or Thurston counties. That's a shame. Not even a Home Depot or Lowes. The folks are great that live here (mostly), but the town is rather depressing. Thus, as retirees, we'll move along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington