Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 10:32 PM

451 posts, read 411,637 times

Advertisements

Sorry to bomb the list, however I have family seriously considering a move to the mainland. Based on employment locations, they are looking to move to north Tacoma...around the Pt. Defiance or Ruston (sp?) neighborhoods. I recent read about clean-up efforts underway to deal with an old copper smelter that operated in the area for around 90 +/- years. Apparently lead and arsenic outfall from the smelter process has contaminated soil in a number of neighborhoods. Can anyone provide greater detail or suggest sites to visit to better understand the problem and what is being undertaken to correct it?

Many thanks in advance for your support and help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 12:13 AM

49 posts, read 131,597 times
Hi Rain Monkey. I don't live in Tacoma, we are further south in west Olympia but I did a lot of research on the area when we moved to WA state. I have mixed feeling about it. I have friends that grew up and still live there. They are unfazed by it. In fact they laugh at me when I mention it like I'm some paranoid weirdo. None of them have cancer or CNS type disorders.

This will give you an idea of the affected area:
https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/smeltersearch/

This will give you all kind of details and more links to follow:
Tacoma Smelter Plume | Toxics Cleanup Program | Washington Department of Ecology

The plume of contamination goes pretty far so it's just not Tacoma. I know they discourage people from having vegetable gardens in the soil unless you use raised beds and add clean dirt to it. If you have kids that play in the dirt outside they say to bathe them often. Same with pets. I guess it depends on how careful you want to be or if you are prone to a lot of health issues.

Would I live there? Probably not. I struggle with a poor autoimmune system and don't feel lucky enough to roll the dice. If I HAD to, I would live in an apartment where I didn't have lawn work and could have central air so I wouldn't have to have my windows open.

Forget the smelter pollution... have you smelled Tacoma? On a good day it smells like my Grandma's sweaty feet. I'm sure the locals get used to that too. LOL

Old 08-31-2014, 12:31 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Whether your family buys or rents, they should ask to see soil test results. If the soil at the property has not been tested, they should make reasonable test results a condition of any deal they make. Not all areas were affected equally within the plume area, so you can't go by proximity.

I recently moved to Vashon, which is pretty close to the site. I am older, so I am not especially concerned, but if your family has small children, you might well want to be more cautious.

I think the Ruston/Port Defiance area is one of the more appealing areas in Tacoma, and haven't noticed any unpleasant odors. YMMV.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:01 PM

292 posts, read 1,447,874 times
Be sure to look at the plume map in the link gypsy posted. Although the smelter was located in Tacoma, the soil contamination spread throughout the region. If you are looking in the broader region, you aren't necessarily avoiding the issue by avoiding Tacoma. In fact, some of the areas nearest to the smelter have had the contaminated soil removed and replaced. It's quite possibly less of an issue there than an unserviced area in, for example, Gig Harbor.

And the infamous smell is less noticeable now and when present, mostly hovers over the I-5 corridor near the port, not downtown or Ruston. I don't live in Tacoma, but we go out there often and I used to say I never smelled it in the city proper, only in Fife or on I-5. But I did catch a whiff of it once off Ruston Way a year ago, so I can't say that anymore.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:19 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,359,794 times
The main smell is now from the Simpson paper mill...

Simpson hands off its pulp mill with honor | Opinion | The News Tribune

Seattleites jocularly refer to Tacoma as "the Smell by the Bay." We used to have to roll up our windows and close the vents when driving past Tacoma on I-5. Not nearly so bad now.

Another term used is "the Aroma from Tacoma."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington