Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 04:00 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times

Advertisements

It becomes politicized because NRA. They have convinced half the country guns equal freedom. The kid in Connecticut got his gun for his birthday. So these kids, too young and immature or too mentally unstable, encounter an emotional issue also have access to guns. Next the NRA will say every student should have a gun so when Lisa breaks up with Brad to go to the dance with Josh, all the students will be safe.

Well put, Seacove. I don't get why it's a mystery to understand.

I am glad my Dad wasn't titillated by guns so I wasn't taught they were cool. I'd rather poke one of my eyeballs out with a rusty spoon than be thrilled by shooting a gun. Ridiculous lust this country propagates. Look at what the consequences are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 04:18 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,355 times
Here we go again.. Whaa we need gun laws..

People! Don't you see it? Look in the mirror you will see the problem!

Guns are just a hunks of metal. It is us, society which is the problem here. The way we raise our children. Stick them in daycare so you can work extra hours to buy more gold plated toilets for your mcmansion. Stick the kids grandparents in nursing homes so they do not burden you, and take time away from that all important career, and yes a bigger yet mcmansion.

Nobody is around to raise their families anymore. Everyone is to selfish or thinking lots of money for the kid to have a fancy college education is most important, when it is not.

Funny, it seems this is always middle class white kids in the suburbs.

NOT urban kids in the ghetto, not rural farm kids, both of which are exposed to plenty of guns.. Nope, its always suburban kids spoiled suburban kids.

For once look in the mirror and see the root of the problem. It is us! Parents and society at large!

So sell that fancy house in the city, quit that hot shot job, go subsistance live, spend every moment of the day raising the children you brought into this world.

Serious, we have to look at what is wrong with us, not get distracted placing blame on inanimate objects.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:59 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Yes, sell your fancy homes and give your third graders guns so they can better settle their disputes on the playground. After all, they're just inanimate objects. It's not like adolescence isn't filled with hormones and emotion. Let's add lethal weapons to the mix because they're so harmless.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:05 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
Bingo, Seacove. Add guns to the druglust mix and adult dating and breakup scene as well and you have a Nightmare on Anywhere, USA, street, also.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:15 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,581 times
Guns are always the easy "target" no doubt about that, but the reality is it's harder in many ways to get guns now, 40-50 years ago you could buy guns at hardware stores with no background checks, yet this "epidemic" we see today was a non-issue then. Why? Medications, stress, bullying? Could be any number of things. I certainly do not think guns are the problem, it's clearly something else if history shows guns were readily available with no background checks a number of years ago, yet mass/school shootings were almost unheard of. It's unfortunate that both side politicize it so rapidly, I am a gun owner myself and am staunchly against gun control, I think incidences such as this bring out the worst in both sides. The NRA has plenty of blame, but just as much blame goes to the anti-gun side who basically parade around bodies of victims as martyrs for their cause. I know this is not a popular opinion in the Seattle area, but it's how I see it.

Typically there is no "right" answer, but for the anti-gun side to quickly (just as quickly, if not MORE than the NRA) to start pointing at their laws saying "see we are right!" with smugness and silently "cheering" these kinds of tragedies is sick. Of course the same goes for the NRA when a mass-stabbing happens and they are just as quick to run out and point out that guns were NOT the weapon of choice. This issue is too polarizing and many on both sides simply don't want to accept the inevitable conclusion that humans generally do sh^tty things, we're violent by nature unfortunately. Just a sidebar thought, within 15 minutes of seeing this news break today I flipped to MSNBC, and without reporting any facts like CNN or the local stations they were simply spouting off how "things need to change, you can't get guns so easily in the UK." Pathetic.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:15 PM

The NRA's solution to every problem is more guns and the real gun lovers have lost any rationality. I see them comparing guns to cars but I don't see any of them putting their 14 year old into a sports car and sending them alone on the freeway.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Just a sidebar thought, within 15 minutes of seeing this news break today I flipped to MSNBC, and without reporting any facts like CNN or the local stations they were simply spouting off how "things need to change, you can't get guns so easily in the UK." Pathetic.
I didn't watch MSNBC but they are correct about the UK. The police in the UK don't carry guns and don't want to.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:22 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The NRA's solution to every problem is more guns and the real gun lovers have lost any rationality. I see them comparing guns to cars but I don't see any of them putting their 14 year old into a sports car and sending them alone on the freeway.
I agree the NRA has, and this is coming from a gun owner, in my eyes become an utter and complete joke. The cars/guns comparison is one I see online often as well, but I always roll my eyes at the idea. I can't pretend to have a solution, my "expertise" is in electrical engineering and accounting, so I know less about the human mind than many, but unfortunately I see the same thing over and over from both sides each time this kind of thing happens...ultimately with the same solution: none.

The phrase "spinning the tires" comes to mind.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:24 PM

653 posts, read 1,786,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post

Guns are just a hunks of metal. It is us, society which is the problem here. The way we raise our children. Stick them in daycare so you can work extra hours to buy more gold plated toilets for your mcmansion. Stick the kids grandparents in nursing homes so they do not burden you, and take time away from that all important career, and yes a bigger yet mcmansion.

Nobody is around to raise their families anymore. Everyone is to selfish or thinking lots of money for the kid to have a fancy college education is most important, when it is not.

NOT urban kids in the ghetto, not rural farm kids, both of which are exposed to plenty of guns.. Nope, its always suburban kids spoiled suburban kids.

For once look in the mirror and see the root of the problem. It is us! Parents and society at large!

So sell that fancy house in the city, quit that hot shot job, go subsistance live, spend every moment of the day raising the children you brought into this world.

Serious, we have to look at what is wrong with us, not get distracted placing blame on inanimate objects.
Bingo TrueTimbers!! I just started a wildfire on my Facebook page where this is exactly how to douse this fire. It all starts at home with responsible parenting, by a mother and father (or at least someone close to be a mother or father figure) to speak into these kid's lives. I've been around long enough to see how the moral fiber of the world has been so degraded.. somewhat because of the lack in the participation of a father in particular. On the other hand.. we do live in one of the most violent countries in the western free world. Only Mexico is slightly worse, chiefly because of the drug wars down there. We're talking 22 times more gun violence then other countries.. and who's to blame? Inept parenting, definitely, but stricter gun laws will surely help too. If I was a WA. state resident, I would be voting a firm YES on your ballot coming up for background checks. It would at least be a start.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:24 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post

Agreed and excellent commentary on what's wrong with us TrueTimbers. Except I will counter that many more of those urban ghetto kids kill other kids than the middle class white kid shooters...check out Chicago. The root cause is the same although dressed differently in the ghetto.

There isn't a gun law in existence or yet to be implemented that will fix this problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington