Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 08:11 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotown11 View Post
Young people working in the service industry are increasingly being priced out of Seattle and often look to Tacoma for a much cheaper urban lifestyle. They are developing light rail and new high density residential developments are popping up in many areas of town. The artists and hipsters have been coming in fairly rapidly.

The next Portland is probably an exaggeration, but Tacoma will definitely thrive provided some major setback. Kind of like a San Francisco/Oakland dynamic.
I agree with this as I live in Portland and from S.F.., I can see Tacoma being an independent city with its own flavor than Seattle but also kind of a bedroom community benefiting from Seattle's thriving economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 12:14 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,462,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasureFM View Post
Interesting thread. I am trying to decide where to move there, but man have rents gone up from even a few months ago! I need to work IN Seattle, but I am not exactly going to be able to afford Seattle rent anytime soon. Coming from California (I know, I know) and yeah this is a huge move for me. Been obsessively looking up stats on just about every city in Western WA, and I am pretty damn confused at this point.. Feels weird moving to a new town alone, and being a female, not exactly wanting to move to the worst parts to pay cheap rent.
What type of jobs are you looking at?

Old 01-13-2015, 09:59 PM

238 posts, read 866,191 times
I work in Downtown Tacoma and live on Hilltop. I think DT Tacoma has really good bones (nice, very clean, safe, great buildings, institutions, etc) and everything is in place for private development to come in and really make a difference. One issue with DT Tacoma though is that it is very large and spread out for a city its size (about the same size as Downtown Seattle). Just think if what is there now was placed in an area 1/3 or 1/2 the size of Downtown. It would probably be booming on all cylinders.

Living on Hilltop, I think the Hilltop Business District is going to see a lot of growth coming soon. It already has great restaurants, bars, banks, a grocery store and the LINK streetcar is coming. There are a few multi-family housing projects planned on MLK.
And yes I love living on Hilltop. Very little crime, quiet, amazing houses. FYI the city stopped using Upper Tacoma (that it adopted in the early 90's when it was bad) and went back to Hilltop as the official name for the neighborhood and business district. If that says anything to people.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:20 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,583 times
Tacoma won't become the next Portland, just like Portland won't ever become the next Seattle. Tacoma does have the chance to be a really interesting place in the future though, it already is in a way,. Though every time I stop there driving up to Seattle or Vancouver I find the downtown to have some great old architecture and nice location--though it's just really quiet--at least it is when I'm there.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:50 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
Tacoma's always had a quiet downtown. My Grandpa was Administrator of Public Schools for the Tacoma School District back in the 50's and 60's and he and Grandma lived in Gig Harbor. We would visit them from our parent's home in Edmonds all the time. We got the "Galloping Gertie" story ingrained in our heads at an early age!

But we would go in Grandpa's Buick Special in to downtown Tacoma occasionally. It seemed to be intelligently laid out and very...staid and quiet. Indeed. Tacoma is not going to be able to compete with Seattle. Tacoma loses to Seattle in the history department. Big time.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:40 AM

719 posts, read 987,832 times
I think Tacoma is too close to Seattle physically to ever feel truly independent. If anything, as both cities continue to grow, I expect its identity to be subsumed even further beneath Seattle's.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:16 PM

5,447 posts, read 7,743,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
I think Tacoma is too close to Seattle physically to ever feel truly independent. If anything, as both cities continue to grow, I expect its identity to be subsumed even further beneath Seattle's.
Tacoma is about exactly the same distance to Seattle (34 miles) as Baltimore is to Washington DC (38 miles) or Fort Worth is to Dallas (32 miles).

Baltimore and Fort Worth both have very distinct identities. Tacoma boosters might look to how Fort Worth has carved out a unique identity and is thriving in the greater DFW area. By many measures it is frankly a nicer and more liveable city than Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington