Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 02:27 PM

4 posts, read 6,356 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to WA in June with my husband and 5 year old daughter. I am a teacher and will be looking for a middle or high school position. We have been looking predominately at Spokane but want opinions about the tri-cities area as well. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 06:58 PM

6 posts, read 12,928 times
I'm from Tri-Cities and Spokane (live in Seattle now). They have a very different look and feel to them. Tri-Cities is a newer city than Spokane, with 3 small downtowns. It's very postwar in terms of architecture. It looks (in my opinion) a lot like inland California: high desert w/lots of sagebrush and no trees. The upside to this is that they have more sunny days than any other Washington city. My mom calls TC a "suburb in search of a city" meaning it lacks the charm and history of an older city. Kennewick and Richland and West Pasco are very safe---East Pasco is dangerous, avoid it. Kennewick is the most pro-commerce, Richland is a little more economically resistant to change. The cities are very clean and new feeling compared to Spokane or Seattle. I'm guessing it would be easier to find work in TC compared to Spokane. Spokane is bigger, has more history/old buildings, as well as local small businesses and restaurants, but it's hard to find work there. I actually want to move there as my whole family lives there, but only if my hubbie's boss decides to let him work remotely. I love it that I could live in an older neighborhood right next to downtown with great schools and great home prices (here in Seattle we have to live way out in an ugly suburb). Spokane also has a much colder climate (think: Montana). It snows a lot and winter comes pretty early and stays late. So, I guess what I am saying is it depends on your personality/needs. They both have pros and cons. But I wouldn't move to Spokane without gaining employment first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington