Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 04:07 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,440,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I see this attitude^^ a lot from ex-Californians.
LOL, OK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 04:39 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times
We own a place in unincorporated Sequim and currently live in Danville CA (32 miles east of SF).
I monitor Sequims weather on my iPhone almost daily ...it’s just a click away.
It’s been much warmer in Sequim lately than the base of Mt Diablo where we live.
Out here in Danville it’s been below 30 degrees F when I left for work for the first half of the week.
I leave for work just before 5:00 AM.
In August we can easily have temps over 100 degrees for a week or two.
Sequim is looking rather nice right now😊.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:47 AM

6,239 posts, read 3,413,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
We own a place in unincorporated Sequim and currently live in Danville CA (32 miles east of SF).
I monitor Sequims weather on my iPhone almost daily ...it’s just a click away.
It’s been much warmer in Sequim lately than the base of Mt Diablo where we live.
Out here in Danville it’s been below 30 degrees F when I left for work for the first half of the week.
I leave for work just before 5:00 AM.
In August we can easily have temps over 100 degrees for a week or two.
Sequim is looking rather nice right now😊.

The Sequim area is actually nice no matter the weather.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:55 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
The cacti has been around the Dungeness for thousands of years and I am almost sure chili peppers and Mexican food aren't native.
Occasionally we do get a slight drought when the winter snow pack in the Olympics is low. Never seen a water restriction in Sequim however...did in PA a couple years ago. I think it happened the first year the dams were removed on Elwha River, which is the PA city water source.

The temperate in the Sequim area rarely raises above 90 and below 30 so I think you won't confuse the Sequim area with NM. Rain fall in NM and Sequim is not that much different.

Gee and we in the state also have plenty of rattlesnakes but only on the east side of the Cascades.
I'm intrigued by the report of cacti around Sequim. Could you explain the micro-climate conditions, that give rise to that phenom?

Old 01-12-2019, 10:20 AM

6,239 posts, read 3,413,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm intrigued by the report of cacti around Sequim. Could you explain the micro-climate conditions, that give rise to that phenom?
Outdoor cactus is not my bag but I have seen them near Sequim...I do however have several indoor in an open terrarium. But several web sites do explain about Cactus in the area.

http://sequimplants.com/hardy-cactus-sequim-wa

On the follow web site scroll down to Opuntia fragilis:

THE DESERT NORTHWEST - A Primer on Washington Native Cacti

Old 01-13-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Outdoor cactus is not my bag but I have seen them near Sequim...I do however have several indoor in an open terrarium. But several web sites do explain about Cactus in the area.

http://sequimplants.com/hardy-cactus-sequim-wa

On the follow web site scroll down to Opuntia fragilis:

THE DESERT NORTHWEST - A Primer on Washington Native Cacti
Interesting. Says it's found "especially" in the San Juan Islands. I've never seen cactus in the San Juans, though Orcas is the only island I know well. San Juan Island itself seems drier; maybe there's some there?

Old 01-13-2019, 09:56 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Interesting. Says it's found "especially" in the San Juan Islands. I've never seen cactus in the San Juans, though Orcas is the only island I know well. San Juan Island itself seems drier; maybe there's some there?
Probably only on open (treeless) south-facing hillsides of some locations. Cacti can survive in unexpected places.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:38 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,372,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberywolf View Post
Thanks all for the insight, and info. Will keep checking about the Water ruling issues, as are important for sure, relieved to hear that they may not be as bad as feared, hopefully. Expanding search areas to include La Conner, and Port Townsend. In La Conner there are places for sale, appearing to be next to the Reservation that's there. Hubby does not want to live on an island, although it would suit me ok. Have lived in Victoria and Sidney,BC before, was born in Canada, am a US Citizen now for quite a few years,(started that immigration process back in 2001). Love the rainforest, mild climate, can accept gray days, as overall it is far far better than lots of snow and 40-60 below zero! that I had suffered through in Saskatchewan winters long ago. Even the part of NM that we formerly resided in, near Ruidoso, got to -12o/n at times to more regularly however, 15-25 o/n's in winter. NM was not all fun in the sun all year round, we lived at 6000 ft., elevation being one of the main controlling factors of winter weather there. May miss the sun for sure, but overall I think we will adjust. Also want to be closer to my almost 80 yr.old mom that lives in BC.,need to visit her more as she gets older.I have learned that one needs to make family more of a priority as when they are gone, one had nagging regrets if they didn't spend enough time with them. Learned that lesson when my dad passed of mesothelioma lung cancer from long ago asbestos exposure. Takes them so fast sometimes, sad way to go.
Glad to hear there are not many strays there, wonderful, then I won't be always so tempted to take in just one more, as had way too many rescues before. I just couldn't seem to turn away, making me work to the point of extreme exhaustion too many hours, too many jobs just to support the animals in my care.
Hubby is retired, but I am young enough(49)to want to consider working again at least p.t. Worked in Security, as an Animal Shelter Kennel Mgr., cleaning cabins, environmental testing labs, etc. Is there work in any of these areas in the intended areas of Sequim, P.A.,P.T.??
Whidbey Island is connected by bridge (to Mount Vernon, Burlington, Everett, Seattle) - you'll be less isolated than at Sequim. Oak Harbor has the Commissary and Exchange, Tri-Care Clinics, and employment possibilities (on- and off-base). In the rain shadow. Mild weather. Car ferry to Sidney from Anacortes (except Jan 6-Mar 30). Car ferry from Coupeville to Port Townsend.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ct/9_zm/0_mmm/

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 01-13-2019 at 10:51 AM..

Old 01-13-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Probably only on open (treeless) south-facing hillsides of some locations. Cacti can survive in unexpected places.
South San Juan Island is within the Olympic rain shadow. It must be there. And yes, there's lees tree cover on SJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington