Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 09:57 PM

1,204 posts, read 873,223 times

Advertisements

I our case, it is "think about going west old men". So yes, this is another retirement and moving thread.

We are both 61 and in good health, somewhat liberal in view but for the most part that is not a requisite for a place to live. We don't mind winter, but we just don't want a long one. Our fall back location to retire to is the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, except that the winters are so long. Severe, no big deal just the length. Late spring, summer and early to mid fall is beautiful in the UP.

So, no kids but 4 dogs. We would like decent medical, but it doesn't have to be world class. Our end of life philosophy is comfort/companionship over continuation at all costs. Don't really want to be a slave to the car, although we also realize a car is needed. We would like an out doorsey, walkable, bikable lifestyle. One of our favorite pastimes would be sitting on the front porch, wave and say hello as people go by, listening to rock and roll, drinking a beer and maybe smoking a bit of mother natures blessing. We don't want anything fancy out of life, bars and nightlife are not important. Possibly a university/college in town would be nice for the extra bit of life it can bring.

We would be financially comfy although not wealthy, with an income of about 55k before we hit the IRAs, savings etc.

There is only one thing that holds us to living in SE Michigan, and that is that my spouses mom is still alive and kicking although in a dementia care center. We will not move until her days are done, even as she is loosing the ability to recognize who we are. She is 83 and probably that day is but a couple of short years away.

Jim and I recently got married, well August 2014, after 40 years together. We aren't going to be inclined to fawn all over each other in public but I wouldn't mind living in an area that if we were to hold hands while walking along the river we wouldn't feel as though we shouldn't be doing so.

Seems as though, from reading many of the threads here, that Washington can provide many of our wants and needs. Our course no matter where you live, you have to take part in life. The one thing we do know about our retirement future, is who we want to be spending it with. Now we just have to figure out where.

Thanks

Thom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 11:10 PM

617 posts, read 1,202,874 times
Bellingham could provide what you're looking for.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:20 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
Not sure if there's a question there but you'll certainly be fine around Seattle, Olympia or Bellingham. Seattle is more expensive, Olympia and Bellingham not as much.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Not sure if there's a question there but you'll certainly be fine around Seattle, Olympia or Bellingham. Seattle is more expensive, Olympia and Bellingham not as much.

Wow- your right I really didn't ask the old question of where to consider. For me it was late at night.

Yep-- just looking for suggestions to relocate to. We want to move from where we are, and have eliminated various areas of the country for many different reasons.

Thanks.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:32 AM

735 posts, read 872,170 times
First off, congrats on the marriage!

Second, I posted about how many people I have met from MI and how they almost all have loved the move to WA. You folks seem like a sturdy stock and can handle our little weather issues with a smile on your face.

I really do second Bellingham, it's filled with trails (http://www.cob.org/documents/parks/p...map_trails.pdf), plenty of beautiful areas to walk around, and an easy day trip up to Vancouver, for a little change of scenery.

It is a little on the crowded side, the Costco is filled with Canadians buying cheap milk and gas, but welcome to WA, everything is always on the crowded side. We can always make room for a couple more

Oh and good thing night life isn't what you are looking for. My understanding is that there is only one 'gay bar' and it has been overrun with heteros.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
,,, We would like decent medical, but it doesn't have to be world class. Our end of life philosophy is comfort/companionship over continuation at all costs. Don't really want to be a slave to the car, although we also realize a car is needed. We would like an out doorsey, walkable, bikable lifestyle. One of our favorite pastimes would be sitting on the front porch, wave and say hello as people go by, ,,,

Not gonna find healthcare / decent (affordable) medical in USA, much lees WA. (Unless you qualify as Native American)

Please study up on 'PNW social protocol. It would be very unlikely to 'sit on a porch' (it is usually raining / cold), waving is not customary in PNW. People respect the SPACE of others (thus don't wave or say hi to neighbors), Saying hello is OK, but do not expect or wait around for an acknowledgement. PNW have their own 'ways' about them. It would be the LAST place I would go if I needed medical / neighborly assistance. It is common to go YEARS without speaking to your neighbors. PNW is studied for it's social (in)difference.

People are congenial, but they could care less about establishing a friendship or relationship.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:00 AM

24 posts, read 47,147 times
My husband and I are 55 years old. We moved to Bellingham in September with my 26 year old son and two dogs. We escaped from NY and do not miss the horrible winter they are having back east. I left my snow rake behind. Our other son and his husband would love to move to Bellingham but the kind of work they do is just not present here. They live in Minneapolis and are freezing too.

I'll admit I don't physically wave to most people as they pass my house (except for the retired couple across the street who have a feisty schnauzer named Rowdy), but many of my neighbors have dogs and we walk them in the neighborhood and have a few casual friends from taking them to Lake Padden to run around. My son has already made a few friends, so it can be done. Bellingham can be very walkable depending on the area you choose. We chose to be a little outside of the city. It's quiet. You are about 90 miles north of Seattle and near Vancouver, BC as well. While there are a lot of Canadian shoppers, I think we will find them more scarce because of the weakness of their currency. They do bring Bellingham some revenue. Costco just before Canadian Thanksgiving is a sight to see.

We are very happy here. If I never go back to NY it will be too soon. My lifelong friend lives in Vancouver BC and her mother has Alzheimer's and lives here in Bellingham. You are wise to stay in Michigan while your spouse's mom receives care there. I'm not thrilled with the services provided in Bellingham for memory care residents.

Also, biking is popular here and there are lots of dogs too. You will also find people here from all walks of life and all parts of the country. The friendliest people we have met generally have come from somewhere else. Also, I've found that locals who are in our age group and older seem to be a bit friendlier than the younger crowd. That's just my personal observation.

It is beautiful here. If you want snow, head east to the Cascades and Mount Baker. If you want bigger city life it's not far away. If you want clouds and an average of only 36 inches of rain per year (my area in NY is 47), then perhaps you might enjoy it here. The summer, albeit brief, is spectacular. If you ever decide to visit, send us a pm and we'll be happy to show you around, answer questions or just give you some ideas of places to go.

By the way, back east I never spoke to most of my neighbors unless there was a massive power outage/hurricane, etc. It's already better here. LOL!

Marcy

Last edited by seagypsy59; 02-23-2015 at 12:09 AM..

Old 02-23-2015, 07:35 AM
mev

154 posts, read 295,890 times
In Port Townsend people sit on the porch and wave and say "hi" as folks walk/jog by.
BTW SR,
It's "couldn't care less" not "could care less".

Old 02-23-2015, 12:27 PM

Hey all---thanks for the responses.

We sliced and diced the country into areas that we might consider for that "last big adventure" and the PNW came to the top. In many ways it seems like Washington and the UP of Michigan have much in common. Although the UP doesn't have any large cities. Biggest population areas would be Houghton/Hancock, Marquette and Sault Ste, Marie. Nice thing is that all three have a state university.

We really have it made where we are as far as the house goes. We have an easy to live in 2300 sg ft ranch on almost 3 acres of property. Yet, we are just a few minutes walk from 3 eateries, a hardware, meat market, party store, post office and a bar and a handful of other small businesses.

We were both born and raised here in SE Michigan and it is a time for a change.

Happy that we have some time to think and research. Thanks again.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Not gonna find healthcare / decent (affordable) medical in USA, much lees WA. (Unless you qualify as Native American)

Please study up on 'PNW social protocol. It would be very unlikely to 'sit on a porch' (it is usually raining / cold), waving is not customary in PNW. People respect the SPACE of others (thus don't wave or say hi to neighbors), Saying hello is OK, but do not expect or wait around for an acknowledgement. PNW have their own 'ways' about them. It would be the LAST place I would go if I needed medical / neighborly assistance. It is common to go YEARS without speaking to your neighbors. PNW is studied for it's social (in)difference.

People are congenial, but they could care less about establishing a friendship or relationship.
Understand what you are saying-- we don't jump out a people and if they wave back fine if not--eh no big deal. Much like the Yoopers actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington