Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 02:57 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times

Advertisements

If you're used to A/C, 80+ degree temps inside your home feel extremely uncomfortable. And it is not just three days a year. Nearly every Seattle native uses this exact figure: three days. I've been here two and a half years and I can firmly say it is completely untrue.

Many places also have no screens on windows. But you will also hear that there are no bugs here. I think there is a script they refer to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 02:57 PM

163 posts, read 269,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
Sensitive much? It was hyperbole.
Just find it annoying when people give others misinformation and then act like its no big deal. Why? Cause then the OP will go walking around saying "oh yeah I hear NOBODY in Seattle has AC.." And people will say "who the hell said that? "... All because of people like you.

If you legitimately have never met anyone with AC in Seattle, then you clearly don't get out much.

Moving on..

Old 04-23-2015, 03:00 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Angelenogirl, I'll change that to 5 days I have been here 25 years and it absolutely is getting hotter in the Seattle area, perhaps we indeed will be the beneficiaries of global warming. This, we can all agree, is a conspiracy of the AC industry.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:02 PM

163 posts, read 269,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Angelenogirl, I'll change that to 5 days I have been here 25 years and it absolutely is getting hotter in the Seattle area, perhaps we indeed will be the beneficiaries of global warming. This, we can all agree, is a conspiracy of the AC industry.
Also agree.. It was around 80 nearly every day last summer and that never used to happen. Been here 20 years.

It's also more humid now... Totally sucks!

oP, look for a portable AC unit

Old 04-24-2015, 08:06 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
If you're used to A/C, 80+ degree temps inside your home feel extremely uncomfortable. And it is not just three days a year. Nearly every Seattle native uses this exact figure: three days. I've been here two and a half years and I can firmly say it is completely untrue.

Many places also have no screens on windows. But you will also hear that there are no bugs here. I think there is a script they refer to.
YES, I have been saying this since I moved here 5 years ago! I am from the Midwest where AC is standard in homes and apartments, and so dealing with 80 degree temps indoors is NOT normal and is highly uncomfortable for me. And without AC, that is what I'd be dealing with for a lot of the summer. We added Central AC to our house and are glad we did. The people who say AC is not needed are wrong- we used it for the entire summer almost every day this last year, and really used it a lot each summer we have lived here. Homes heat up even when the temperature is only in the 70's outside, especially 2 floor homes- so to keep the house at what anyone else would consider a comfortable indoor temperature (low 70's) even during the daytime, you have to have AC.

Now to the OP's question about AC in apartments- I haven't seen any that have it, unfortunately.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:51 AM

105 posts, read 618,431 times
Thanks for the help! I have a rare condition where I need the indoor temperature less than 64 degrees actually 60 degrees is best.
Side note- don't be born 1 mile from a Superfund site chemicals destroyed my DNA

Old 04-24-2015, 11:16 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy0133 View Post
Thanks for the help! I have a rare condition where I need the indoor temperature less than 64 degrees actually 60 degrees is best.
Side note- don't be born 1 mile from a Superfund site chemicals destroyed my DNA
The vast vast majority of rentals don't have A/C. Zillow shows a total of 18 2B+ rentals under $3,000 from Lynnwood to Maple Valley and Bremerton to Issaquah. There are 990 without air conditioning. When people say you'll only need A/C five days a year, they're referring to days around 90 or above. Days over 80 are generally bearable.

You should be okay for 4/5ths of the year - it's the other fifth where you'll need to lower the temps. Whether several portable and/or window air conditioners can do the trick, I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington