Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 12:46 PM

58 posts, read 134,351 times

Advertisements

From WA State Dept Of Ecology: Air quality: Pulper upgrade project (July 23, 2019)
https://ecology.wa.gov/Regulations-P...Townsend-Paper

From Port Townsend Leader: Public leery of paper mill upgrade (July 3, 2019)
https://www.ptleader.com/stories/pub...-upgrade,62928

Here is a PT citizen's blog with tons of information about the mill: PORT TOWNSEND PAPER MILL
https://porttownsendpapermill.blogsp...d-so-many.html

Another citizen blog with frequent updates: Port Townsend Air Watchers
Port Townsend Air Watchers – Port Townsend Air Watchers

There are a couple of FB groups mentioned in the above blogs.

Last edited by Drew8888; 08-09-2019 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: Add a link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 01:01 PM

Another very interesting link from the Port Townsend Air Watchers blog which answers the question many people have about where the mill odor can be smelled:

Mapping PTPC Mill Odors & Fumes
Mapping PTPC Mill Odors & Fumes – Port Townsend Air Watchers

Old 08-09-2019, 01:13 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew8888 View Post
Another very interesting link from the Port Townsend Air Watchers blog which answers the question many people have about where the mill odor can be smelled:

Mapping PTPC Mill Odors & Fumes
Mapping PTPC Mill Odors & Fumes – Port Townsend Air Watchers
Good map. I wonder to what extent the fumes affect residents on Marrowstone Island?

Old 08-09-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Good map. I wonder to what extent the fumes affect residents on Marrowstone Island?

At the bottom of that map page there are historical maps going back to 2015. On those maps there's a total of 2 complaints from Marrowstone. So it would seem Marrowstone is affected much less than Quimper Peninsula.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:45 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
Do not use complaints as an accurate reflection of the stink.

We smelled it plenty of times—some of them horribly strong—but never filed a complaint. Betcha most residents did not.

One of the worst occurred in late April 2011. We were staying as tourists in an Uptown lodging. I woke up feeling like a truck had run over me: exhausted, nauseous, incredibly weak. The stench was thick, heavy, and all-encompassing. I could barely get up. In a little while, the stink mass must have shifted elsewhere, because once I could breathe some better air, the symptoms faded. Our host said that level of stink happened maybe once or twice a year. After having lived there (but not Uptown), I would say it happened infrequently, BUT lesser levels of stink happened often. Not every day.

I did cough more often there than I have living anywhere else.

What really p’ed me off was reveling in the fresh and invigoratingly cool breezes that barreled east down the Strait of Juan de Fuca nearly every summer day, opening up house windows to let those in...and then waking up coughing or even gagging at night, when the sea breezes died and The Stink plumed outward from the paper mill. From pure bliss to hacking misery in the turn of the wind!

Old 08-12-2019, 09:19 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,731,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Thank you for the reality check. Didn't know about the mercury. Your experience corresponds (without the graphic detail) to what I've been told; Pt T is fine most of the time, but when the fumes hit, they can be devastating.

I'm curious about the $70mill upgrades. The mill must be doing ok financially, if it has that kind of money to spend. Or maybe some sort of Federal action required it of them? Or were they purely mechanical upgrades relating to modernization of production, and cosmetic improvements?
I used to fish and go crabbing in these area's, and there is "limited" to "do not eat" restrictions on things like crab, crawdad's, bass, and so on...basically the bottom-feeding critters and the things that eat them because they have been found to have mercury in them. Lake Whatcom for example has some nice bass in it, they even have some tournaments but they let the fish go which is typical anyway...but doubly so because of the mercury. Regarding the mill in PT, it's a beautiful area and all my other experiences there were good, just this one night the smell was awful and made me cough, gag and vomit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington