Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 12:46 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,717 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me a few Central Washington towns, not high desert, with trees and greenery, affordable living cost(I know it is relative), and not too cold and very little snow? Just looking for a cooler and cleaner air place to move to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 02:45 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Such a town doesn't exist in Central WA.

There are a few towns with "trees and greenery", such as Leavenworth, Cle Elum, Twisp/Winthrop, but all of those get pretty severe winters. And they are all fairly pricey, real estate-wise.

Then you have places like Yakima, which has fairly mild winters (mild by Eastern Washington standards), but I certainly wouldn't say that the Yakima valley has trees or greenery. At least not for more than a few weeks per year. And crime levels are high in places.

Ellensburg is a very nice town with a college, and has some greenery (although it is from hay fields, not trees), but is the exact definition of high desert. And it does get a fair amount of snow.

If you're looking for trees and greenery, you need to head to Western or Northeast Washington. If you're looking for mild, sunny winters with small amounts of snow, I would consider Tri-Cities. If you're looking for mild winters with no snow and constant drizzly rain, I would look at Western Washington.

I guess the only place that may fit in Central Washington - although it is very rural and depressed - is the Omak/Okanogan area. The Okanogan valley has some trees and greenery, real estate is reasonable, and the winters are milder than, say, Wenatchee or Ellensburg.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:52 AM

175 posts, read 366,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestintheWest View Post
Can anyone give me a few Central Washington towns, not high desert, with trees and greenery, affordable living cost(I know it is relative), and not too cold and very little snow? Just looking for a cooler and cleaner air place to move to.
No.

Sorry, but pretty much no. Central Washington is a desert. Hot hot summers, cold winters, sometimes a little snow, sometimes a whole bunch. Less green, more brown.

We CAN offer affordable living, though. Pretty much because it's a freaking desert and no one wants to be here.

Most things you seek can be found in western WA. Except it costs a lot more to live over there.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yip812 View Post
No.

Sorry, but pretty much no. Central Washington is a desert. Hot hot summers, cold winters, sometimes a little snow, sometimes a whole bunch. Less green, more brown.

We CAN offer affordable living, though. Pretty much because it's a freaking desert and no one wants to be here.

Most things you seek can be found in western WA. Except it costs a lot more to live over there.
Speak for yourself. I can tell you from 40 years of life in Eastern Washington that most people who live here would much rather live here than live in Western Washington.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:13 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Central Washington gets some cold spells and snow (more the closer to the Cascade Mtns.), but it is not Chicago or Buffalo weather-wise. I'd say:

Wenatchee, Ellensburg, Leavenworth, and Cle Elum. The latter two are closer to or in the mountains, so can have snowier winters.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:08 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,717 times
Thanks for everyone's help. I will continue with the research.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:31 PM

175 posts, read 366,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Speak for yourself. I can tell you from 40 years of life in Eastern Washington that most people who live here would much rather live here than live in Western Washington.
Of course. That's why they live here. Heck, I even love it here most of the time (less in the summer).

But that doesn't mean it's a place people are clamoring to get to.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:39 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
And I hear that Soap Lake still wants ta put a 45-ft. tall lava lamp in downtown. Eh?

Old 07-20-2015, 12:30 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestintheWest View Post
Thanks for everyone's help. I will continue with the research.
Maybe you should look into the Kitsap or Olympic Peninsulas.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yip812 View Post
Of course. That's why they live here. Heck, I even love it here most of the time (less in the summer).

But that doesn't mean it's a place people are clamoring to get to.
Yes. Eastern Washington is not growing like crazy or attracting hordes of transplants, but that's a very different thing than it being a place where no one wants to be.

People in Eastern Washington live here because they really WANT to live here. People could move to the Seattle area to have a better chance at a higher-paying job, but many choose to stay on the East side because they love it here, and would rather live here and make less money.

I know plenty of people who have moved from Western Washington to Eastern Washington for various reasons, and willingly gave up a high-paying job/career to be here. It was worth it to them to get away from the throngs of people, the traffic, the terrible rainy weather, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington