Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 07:09 AM

684 posts, read 811,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
WA is completely different from NJ, TX, or CT....

If just the two of you, why a house? Better to rent, a one-bedroom apartment, until you've both got jobs, then start thinking about a house. Be forewarned, however, where the jobs are, you might not be able to afford the houses, and where the houses you can afford are, there might not be the jobs.
It's the 2 of us plus our 3 month old daughter right now . We have no debts , I can go up to 250-275k for a house , but I try and find deals if I can such as a fixer upper or maybe foreclosed house. I have a few different skill sets and my wife does more customer service and administrative type of work. I have thought about renting for a year to play it safe as well.

When we come out for a visit I will check out all the areas . Can you explain to me as what you mean that WA is very different from the states I mentioned ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 09:04 AM

576 posts, read 2,260,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove
You want both manufacturing jobs and a house for $225K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I recently looked up the counties with the largest manufacturing jobs. I believe they were KING ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411
Can you explain to me as what you mean that WA is very different from the states I mentioned ?
Hi Mia:

COL (cost of living), particularly housing, would be a big one. The Seattle area (King county) would likely have a large number of manufacturing jobs as 509 mentioned above. However the median selling price of single-family homes in King County this year is around $500,000. Compared to the states that you mentioned, comparable housing in TX for example would be much less expensive. Could you find a home in King county for $225K? Maybe- but it would probably be nothing to write home about and might not be in the safest part of town...

Old 08-19-2015, 10:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,691 posts, read 58,004,579 times
"rent" and scope out the area. Landing a GOOD job will help you determine best place to live (with a 3 mo old...close to work would be good).

Still didn't get your skillset, wage requirements, or budget.

Add your climate desires... that will be important in WA (for winter... do you want drizzle, or gray and cold).

Sunshine is not an option (except in Colorado and Utah ... sunny winter recreation states with manf)

Old 08-19-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
"rent" and scope out the area. Landing a GOOD job will help you determine best place to live (with a 3 mo old...close to work would be good).

Still didn't get your skillset, wage requirements, or budget.

Add your climate desires... that will be important in WA (for winter... do you want drizzle, or gray and cold).

Sunshine is not an option (except in Colorado and Utah ... sunny winter recreation states with manf)
I operate cleaning machines such as vapor cleaning and basket washing , also do some packaging in the back warehouse sometimes. We produce metal parts for automotive and non automotive clients from start to finish. I would need a salary min of 40k plus full benefits and overtime options. I am very well mechanically inclined

I have zero debts as mentioned and if or when I do purchase it will be so I have no mortgage as well , I have money saved up and put away . Winter weather an be whatever for me , it doesn't matter but I do enjoy all 4 seasons . Love the sun.

My options are either to be in Oregon or Washington. Whatever will work for me in the long run.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:19 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
I have zero debts as mentioned and if or when I do purchase it will be so I have no mortgage as well , I have money saved up and put away . Winter weather an be whatever for me , it doesn't matter but I do enjoy all 4 seasons . Love the sun.

My options are either to be in Oregon or Washington. Whatever will work for me in the long run.
With your housing-cost requirements, plus this comment about wanting four seasons and loving the sun, I would rule-out Vancouver, or any other area of Western Washington right away.

None of the Pacific Northwest receives a large amount of sunlight on an annual basis, but most areas of Western Washington have common stretches of weeks or even months in the winter with no visible sunshine.

As far as having four seasons - this one will be debated forever, but IMO Western Washington's weather has too little variance in average temperature to have four "real" seasons. You basically have a beautiful, fairly dry summer for 2-4 months, and a severely overcast, often rainy/drizzly rest of the year.

Based on your preferences, I would also recommend Spokane.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
With your housing-cost requirements, plus this comment about wanting four seasons and loving the sun, I would rule-out Vancouver, or any other area of Western Washington right away.

None of the Pacific Northwest receives a large amount of sunlight on an annual basis, but most areas of Western Washington have common stretches of weeks or even months in the winter with no visible sunshine.

As far as having four seasons - this one will be debated forever, but IMO Western Washington's weather has too little variance in average temperature to have four "real" seasons. You basically have a beautiful, fairly dry summer for 2-4 months, and a severely overcast, often rainy/drizzly rest of the year.

Based on your preferences, I would also recommend Spokane.
Thank you for the honesty, i do know about how WA is a rainy state etc, as i mentioned i dont like a lot of heat and i dont mind cold weather. I do enjoy days with sunshine , low humidity if possible. We all cant get what we want so we have to give somewhere i guess lol but i will make sure to visit a few times before any real solid moves are taken.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,691 posts, read 58,004,579 times
I would recommend Vancouver, WA (more job / living / recreation / school options and closer to the variety / culture of Portland)

I do 'sun-escapes' drive one hour east, or fly south (CA) or to Tx or Colorado in winter.

I get 4 seasons (at 1200ft elevation on We_tside of mtns. ) great fall colors, a bit of snow (or a lot), definite spring and summer. The SHORT winter days are tough.. thus I LIKE working nights and having my days FREE!

You can make $40 - $60k at the SWWA manuf I had mentioned above

Live in WA... Don't live in OR! (if you get the choice).

Old 08-19-2015, 08:49 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
Thank you for the honesty, i do know about how WA is a rainy state etc, as i mentioned i dont like a lot of heat and i dont mind cold weather. I do enjoy days with sunshine , low humidity if possible. We all cant get what we want so we have to give somewhere i guess lol but i will make sure to visit a few times before any real solid moves are taken.
Washington is NOT a rainy state. Only a small portion west of the Cascades is rainy.

We had 4.3 inches of precipitation last year and most of that fell as snow.

I hear you about humidity. My wife goes postal whenever it gets above 25%. I have a real hard time at 60%.

Thanks god, we hardly break those during the spring, summer or fall months. Winter is a different story with humidity at 90% and FOG. The weather in eastern Washington is almost as bad as western Washington from Thanksgiving to President's Day.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:22 AM

175 posts, read 366,278 times
Central Washington would fit your requirements pretty well. Check out the Moses Lake/Ephrata area. Moses Lake has jobs, Ephrata has low crime and good schools. And they're 20 minutes apart. Low cost of living.

We have tons of sun (too much at times, if you ask me), sometimes snowy winters, but not huge amounts, absolutely beautiful fall and spring. No humidity. Ok, might be exaggerating on that one, but it's been a very long hot dry summer with no rain in sight.

I just re-read that you don't like the heat so much. Spokane is a little cooler than here, generally 10 degrees or so. They get more snow though.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:24 AM

175 posts, read 366,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Winter is a different story with humidity at 90% and FOG
Yeah :-/

What's with all the fog? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington