Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2015, 02:50 AM

4 posts, read 3,602 times

Advertisements

We will be living in NE Tacoma around north shore. We come from DC area but moved for work reasons to Tacoma. I wanted to live in Seattle my wife wanted suburbia hell (jk). I just want feed back as far as living in NE Tacoma . We have no kids and bought a nice house. Just wanted feedback. We checked north Tacoma but didn't really dig the old houses. Felt We belonged in NE Tacoma.
Rate this post positively
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 01:03 AM

765 posts, read 898,373 times
I haved lived in Northeast Tacoma for most of my life. Probably one of the more boring neighborhoods in Tacoma and it's a cross between Tacoma and Federal Way really.
There are some huge advantages to living here though.

1. Dash Point state Park. One of my favorite places. I go on runs through the trails and down to the beach. One of the top urban parks in the sound! Also the BPA trail that runs through Northeast and Federal Way is an excellent pedestrian/bike only trail with good views of Mt. Rainier and just a nice trail in general. In the summer you can pick blackberries on it as there are many bushes .
2. It's a very safe area. The farther east you go, generally the less safe it is but it is still safe. Great place to raise a family.
3. It's great if you like to run or bike, not a lot of traffic, mostly residential, awesome views, some nice parks.
4. It's only a 13 minute drive to downtown Tacoma and they have expanded limited transportation to downtown as well. The farther east you are in the neighborhood the better the public transportation is.
5. Not an advantage but just a heads up, most of your shopping will probably be done in Federal Way. QFC is still in northeast but otherwise, Fred Meyer and Safeway are very close by. Also in "downtown" Fed there are several other grocery stores and one is a local health food store called Marlene's. It's big and has everything and I would highly recommend it! Also if you like Asian cuisine or stores catering to an asian population, Federal Way has it all and then some.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:01 AM

22,917 posts, read 28,260,195 times
When we were in Federal Way, most of our friends and neighbors referred to Tacoma as "Tacompton," with good reason.

That said, NE Tacoma is definitely the nicest part of the city. But you should still invest in a home security system. You'll put it to good use.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
When we were in Federal Way, most of our friends and neighbors referred to Tacoma as "Tacompton," with good reason.

That said, NE Tacoma is definitely the nicest part of the city. But you should still invest in a home security system. You'll put it to good use.
Lol not true. From someone who lives here. The city had high crime in the 80s and 90s and has since made a lot of progress towards becoming an amazing place. There are a couple neighborhoods that have higher crime than others. Northeast is definitely not one of them.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:18 PM

14 posts, read 8,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
Lol not true. From someone who lives here. The city had high crime in the 80s and 90s and has since made a lot of progress towards becoming an amazing place. There are a couple neighborhoods that have higher crime than others. Northeast is definitely not one of them.
Um...didn't Tacoma just experience 3 or 4 murders this week alone?

Old 11-15-2015, 11:02 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,362,552 times
Tacoma has averaged between 10 and 14 murders the last five years, between 5 and 7 per 100,000. The latest spate puts them at 12 for the year, which is about average.

Compare that with 300 murders (or 48 per 100,000) so far in Baltimore this year...

Old 11-16-2015, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunrad View Post
Um...didn't Tacoma just experience 3 or 4 murders this week alone?
Yes. It was very unfortunate and the community is mourning. This is not a regular thing anymore and the people here realize that. It is unacceptable. A lot has been done to help gang/ violence issues and I'm very proud of Tacoma for making these strides. This city is a much different place then it was 20 years ago.
But.. Things happen and humans aren't perfect. Overall though, the average killings are not 3-4 a week, it is an anomaly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington