Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on the proposed re-structure?
I support having the WA state forum divided into sub-forums as outlined. 40 80.00%
I don't believe that there will be enough traffic to support having so many new sub-forums created at once. 6 12.00%
I have a better idea which I will explain in a post in this thread. 4 8.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 12:26 PM

142 posts, read 558,270 times

Advertisements

Okay, I just checked and see how it would work Under WA would be a section with all the sub-sections listed and the number of threads they have (the way Seattle is now) and then underneath would be a section with the other WA threads in it.

Works for me!

Last edited by swsha4; 02-02-2008 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 01:11 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
My opinion, there should be an eastern subforum, seattle metro area subforum (it doesn't need to be so specifically defined down to the city, we are putting WAY too much thought into this) and then a general WA forum.
I'll forward all the email I'm getting over to you then.

Yeah, people either seem passionate about having sub-forums for different areas or they're indifferent as you.

That was in fact my proposal all along, though ...Seattle, eastern WA, and general Washington. However, the Administrator has nixed the idea of an eastern Washington sub-forum so this is an alternative proposal.

Quote:
Okay, I just checked and see how it would work Under WA would be a section with all the sub-sections listed and the number of threads they have (the way Seattle is now) and then underneath would be a section with the other WA threads in it.

Works for me!

Ok, good. I'll change your vote.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:39 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
WA FORUM traffic: I think there WILL be enough traffic on the WA forum to support subdivisions. Have you read lately the large numbers of new posters who are asking for info because they “can’t stand” the crowding, or superficiality, or ugliness, or costliness, or whatever of where they’re living and “have heard that Washington is a nice place to live”? The sooner we subdivide the forum, the fewer threads you will have to reroute.

If we set this up well now, the moderators won't have to think about it again for, probably, decades.

WHY SUBDIVIDE: Since I'm a long-time resident here and thus an "advisor" on WA C-D rather than an "asker", what I find is that a significant enough number of askers seem to think:
-- that pretty much all of Washington state is an untouched wilderness;
-- or that anything called “WA” is thickly forested and heavily rained on, regardless of location, or that any place in "WA" is near the Pacific Ocean;
-- or that Washington is only Seattle and urban suburbs -- an idea supported by the current forum structure with just “Seattle” as a sub-forum;
-- or that there are basically only Seattle and Portland, with nothing in between worth knowing about (which is an insult to everywhere else in both states).

SUBFORUMS: I have now voted twice to divide this forum into groups. Sub-forums would, I think, make quite a bit easier the work of those of us who try to give helpful advice -- and would make search work much easier for those seeking information. When we recommend that askers "Search" for something, we know they may not feel informed enough about C-D to do that, but if we had a sub-forum to which we could refer them, they'd likely be happier campers. So would we.

In my experience on C-D and in life:
1. The Oly Pen is its own world -- in terms of economics, tourism, wilderness, retirement, Native tribes, climates, etc. it's not like Olympia, or Seattle, or anywhere else in WA.
2. Everything on the west side from Tacoma north to the border is an inter-related world pretty much of its own.
3. Everything on the west side from Olympia south to the Columbia is a world.
4. Everything on the east side from the Canadian border to Spokane is a world.
5. Everything on the east side south of Spokane to the Columbia is a world.

Scirocco, I would agree with your 4 pop groups, and I would like to add Oly Pen (we're getting a big number of questions about Sequim, Port Angeles, Port Townsend, and Aberdeen/Hoquiam; now also Shelton).

I will vote again and again and again to divvy up the WA forum! Have fun, dear moderators! I love you and thank you for your constant help

Last edited by allforcats; 02-02-2008 at 03:52 PM..

Old 02-02-2008, 04:02 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,893,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
My opinion, there should be an eastern subforum, seattle metro area subforum (it doesn't need to be so specifically defined down to the city, we are putting WAY too much thought into this) and then a general WA forum.
This idea gets my vote. Seems simple and reasonable.

Nevermind--I just saw Scirocco's response from Admin about not dividing east from west, but IMO it still makes the most sense.

Last edited by LMB; 02-02-2008 at 04:10 PM..

Old 02-02-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
This idea gets my vote. Seems simple and reasonable.

LMB, I think you missed my response to Jenbar. Again, that was my original and initial proposal to the Administrator after the poll we took last year.

I think it makes the most sense and makes the division of the state very simple and concise. Again, two sub-forums (eastern Washington and the Seattle metropolitan area) within the general Washington forum would result in three separate forums ...simple and concise.

HOWEVER, as I've mentioned several times, the Administrator doesn't want a large geographical area assigned to a single sub-forum. He has nixed the idea of an eastern Washington sub-forum several times.

Allforcats, the reason above would make the creation of an Olympic Peninsula sub-forum not fly either. I agree, it would be nice but, again, is including too large a geographical area. A northern Olympic Penninsula sub-forum would make sense but the traffic isn't great enough to justify it at this point. It could be added later, however.

Thanks for your response!

Edit: got it, Lynn, I agree too. Thanks.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:23 PM

470 posts, read 1,708,071 times
Please include a Clark County sub-forum. Thanks!

Old 02-03-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzer View Post
Please include a Clark County sub-forum. Thanks!
Can we count on you to post regularly if we do?

Old 02-03-2008, 10:09 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Will anyone from out of state know what cities/towns are in "Clark County"?
Do lots of WA residents know?

Last edited by allforcats; 02-03-2008 at 11:22 PM..

Old 02-04-2008, 12:17 AM

559 posts, read 2,116,232 times
How about (1) Metropolitan Seattle, which would include Seattle, Tacoma, Redmond, Bothell, Everett, Bellingham, etc., basically everything between the Cascades and east of the Puget Sound; (2) Eastern WA, Spokane, Wenatchee, Leavenworth, etc.; (3) Southeastern WA, Yakima, Tri-Cities, Walla Walla, etc., and (4) Western WA, which would include everything west of Puget Sound, i.e., Kitsap and Olympia Peninsulas, Olympia, Vancouver, Aberdeen, etc. I would include the islands (San Juan, Whidbey, etc.) in with the Metropolitan Seattle group as there are a lot of people who live on the islands but commute to work in the Metro Seattle area. This makes the most sense to me.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Will anyone from out of state know what cities/towns are in "Clark County"?
Do lots of WA residents know?
The main title of the sub-forum will be "Vancouver Area" with a sub-title underneath of "Clark County."

I hope most will realize that Portland will have its own section in the Oregon forum.

A sticky can also be put at the top of the forum listing the towns in Clark County similar to what's at the top of the Seattle Area sub-forum currently. At any rate, a moderator can move a thread if it's not placed in the proper area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightcopperkettles View Post
How about (1) Metropolitan Seattle, which would include Seattle, Tacoma, Redmond, Bothell, Everett, Bellingham, etc., basically everything between the Cascades and east of the Puget Sound; (2) Eastern WA, Spokane, Wenatchee, Leavenworth, etc.; (3) Southeastern WA, Yakima, Tri-Cities, Walla Walla, etc., and (4) Western WA, which would include everything west of Puget Sound, i.e., Kitsap and Olympia Peninsulas, Olympia, Vancouver, Aberdeen, etc. I would include the islands (San Juan, Whidbey, etc.) in with the Metropolitan Seattle group as there are a lot of people who live on the islands but commute to work in the Metro Seattle area. This makes the most sense to me.

Yes, it does make sense but definitely won't fly. Like I've said, they don't want "large geographical" areas specified as a sub-forum.

Thanks for the comments anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington