Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2015, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,835 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Washington state for a job (I am originally from Michigan). The job is located in Seattle but as a single person in my early 20s, it is much too expensive to live. I was looking at the Tacoma area for living and commuting into Seattle for work. Are there many options for commuting if I do not want to drive? If so, is Tacoma a nice area with different things to do for someone who is new to the area? Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 05:22 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
I like Tacoma, it's much less metro feeling. For me, there would be plenty to do, I can't say anything about you!

Car commuting between tacoma and seattle is pretty much awful if you are doing it during standard hours. It's awful because lots of people do it.

I'm sure bus is possible, but they're in two different counties so transferring is likely. Also, I'm sure that there are private bus services as well.

Start here - ORCA - One regional card for all - King County Metro Transit - maps, email, phone.

If you get hired, and it's a large company, your employer would probably be a good source of info.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:11 AM

29 posts, read 33,120 times
Actually you don't have to transfer, the 594 bus goes from Tacoma to Seattle. In general there's great public transportation between Seattle and the surrounding cities. Commute looks to be ~50 minutes.

You could also drive but personally I would never drive when I could take the bus. (It might not even be any faster . . . the buses get special bus lanes while individual cars may get caught in traffic.)

Old 11-14-2015, 10:20 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I like Tacoma, it's much less metro feeling. For me, there would be plenty to do, I can't say anything about you!

Car commuting between tacoma and seattle is pretty much awful if you are doing it during standard hours. It's awful because lots of people do it.

I'm sure bus is possible, but they're in two different counties so transferring is likely. Also, I'm sure that there are private bus services as well.

Start here - ORCA - One regional card for all - King County Metro Transit - maps, email, phone.

If you get hired, and it's a large company, your employer would probably be a good source of info.
You're clearly not familiar with public transit. There's definitely a direct bus service between Seattle and Tacoma that goes on almost all day and also a heavy rail commuter train. It's run by SoundTransit, which operates the 3 county (King, Pierce and Snohomish) intercounty connections and also the rail lines.

Sound Transit | Ride the Wave

Old 11-14-2015, 09:44 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
Tacoma is OK but if you're working Seattle there are plenty of other options closer. It's the "I-5 Corridor" so plenty of rental and purchase options closer to work. Look at Tukwilla, Seatac, Renton, Burien, White Center, and South Park.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:12 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Where will you be working in Seattle? If in Downtown Seattle, then it is very doable. If in one of the neighborhoods, then maybe not.

Sounder commuter rail takes about an hour to get from the Tacoma Dome Station to the King Street Station in Seattle - from close to there you can catch buses or light rail that will take you to other areas downtown (Financial District, Retail District, etc.). You can walk to the court houses and other public buildings. Ultimately it comes down to how long it is going to take you to get to or from the train stations at either end. The ST 594 bus in many instances might be quicker, in that it runs from Downtown Tacoma to (and through) Downtown Seattle, but won't be as comfortable as the train.

There is free light rail (Tacoma Link) that runs from the Theater District through Downtown Tacoma to the Tacoma Dome Station - there is also free all-day parking there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington