Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 01:14 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times

Advertisements

We do agree on some aspects of lighting. The difference is that my definition of Live And Let Live includes preventing excessive light from reaching well away from the owner's property, because then he or she is not allowing the neighbor(s) to have their areas free of such light.

This is similar to smoking cigarettes. The smoke does not stay where the smoker is.

The neighbor can still have his yard lit, but he can minimize its intrusiveness by directing the light TO his yard rather than outward and upward. There is also such a thing as unnecessarily bright, where brighter light stops being helpful and actually becomes detrimental to safety, not to mention other considerations. Blinding glare keeps a witness from even discerning where an intruder or obstacle is.

We are all polluters by dint of existing. But there are ways to reduce our negative effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 01:38 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
I'm with you...

Old 01-30-2016, 05:04 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,526,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
We do agree on some aspects of lighting. The difference is that my definition of Live And Let Live includes preventing excessive light from reaching well away from the owner's property, because then he or she is not allowing the neighbor(s) to have their areas free of such light.

This is similar to smoking cigarettes. The smoke does not stay where the smoker is.

The neighbor can still have his yard lit, but he can minimize its intrusiveness by directing the light TO his yard rather than outward and upward. There is also such a thing as unnecessarily bright, where brighter light stops being helpful and actually becomes detrimental to safety, not to mention other considerations. Blinding glare keeps a witness from even discerning where an intruder or obstacle is.

We are all polluters by dint of existing. But there are ways to reduce our negative effects.

+++1, pikabike, can't rep you again. This is exactly how I feel as well.

"Live & Let Live" (overused phrase on the Washington forum) gets confused with "my way or the highway" too many times.

Ultrarunner, you may own property in Washington, but you live in Oakland, CA. If I lived there, I would want all the light I could get. But we're talking about rural Washington...do you really want Washington, or even Olympia, to be just like Oakland, California??

Old 01-30-2016, 07:13 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,483,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
More than just streetlights, don't we want the buildings lit at night, the cityscapes, the architecture, the bridges, etc? Really?
No, we don't. Lighting uses energy which burns fossil fuels and dams our rivers. Maybe you should live in the city if like the luminous landscape.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:17 AM

14,461 posts, read 12,095,136 times
Quote:
No, we don't.
Since they are all lit now, and the vast majority would complain if they were not, I am not sure you can use the word "we" in that context.

Thanks for the suggestion on where I should live. I'll think about it, but I don't think my horses and goats would like it in the city. We like it where we are!

Old 01-31-2016, 07:20 AM

14,461 posts, read 12,095,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
"Live & Let Live" (overused phrase on the Washington forum) gets confused with "my way or the highway" too many times.
Indeed!

Quote:
Ultrarunner, you may own property in Washington, but you live in Oakland, CA. If I lived there, I would want all the light I could get. But we're talking about rural Washington...do you really want Washington, or even Olympia, to be just like Oakland, California??
I'm intrigued... What does that mean, Marcia? What would make you want more light?

Old 01-31-2016, 08:57 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Light is safety... going back to the ancient greeks keeping bonfires on rocky cliffs to modern day lighthouses.

Light is art... just as the New York Skyline, Seattle of the magnificent SF Bay...

I love seeing the Mormon Temple all lit up high in the Oakland Hills... without light, it would be just another black hole...

Many bay area peaks have beacons for safety and as navigational aids.

I remember being out to sea and the joy that would overcome the entire crew at the first glimpse of civilization...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Agreed.
The scope of this thread is light pollution. I don't think that anyone thinks that ALL light is bad, or that we should be using torches on fire if we actually need to see anything at night.

The point is that scattered light is creating wasteful glare and using unnecessary electricity is bad and can and should be mitigated, since it does not help with safety or improve anyone's quality of life.

It has nothing to do with focused light that is used for specific purposes.

Saying that light is good because lighthouses use it to help ships is like arguing that cars are good and essential for modern life, so the smog and pollution that they create is good and should be encouraged. i.e. We should be constantly striving to reduce vehicle waste and pullution, just as we should be constantly striving to reduce the light pollution that is a waste product of the light that we do use.

Old 12-02-2023, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 126 times
I, too, love the Night Sky and would love to see the Milky Way outside my home. I recently moved to a Continuing Care Retirement Community in Lacey, WA. Generally speaking, the lighting in residential areas here is relatively benign. But, we moved into an independent living residence that was brand new and contemporary, which features four tall floodlights that light up our night sky, dimming even the full moons. Management here says they will look into dimming the lights but will not turn them off, even though the porch lighting provides ample light for people walking around at night to see where they are going. Management has assured me that the floodlights are within city and county code, and I'm sure they are. But, the issue of light pollution is not on the table in Lacey, even though the City of Tumwater just approved a light pollution ordinance 8 November 2023, after a 10-year campaign.

I love what you had to say about light and visibility, and I'd love to quote you because it aligns with my experience as well. And, I'd like to connect with others here in Washington, and especially Thurston County, that are working on this issue.

Old 12-03-2023, 09:55 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,072,220 times
Well wow, this sure is an old thread and I think it is worth revisiting.

I am not a fan of light pollution but I see the need for proper lighting for safety.
Until recently I like several of my neighbors had a few big ass lights that could luminate a section of road.

I recently installed a new security system that also included replacing several very old exterior mercury vapor flood lights.
Those lights could possibly laminate a large marijuana grow room.
They were an obnoxious eyesore not to mention the extreme inefficient waste electricity they caused.

The new system I installed (thank you Amazon Black Friday sale )is all LED, directional, motion sensor operated and uses a small fraction of the electricity that the old one did.
It will also probably pay for itself in a couple years to boot.

I replied to this necro thread to say we can do better on light pollution with the new lighting technology that is currently out there.

Old 12-03-2023, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 874 times
Brightness hurts my eyes. I prefer soothing candlelight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington