Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,344 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been looking for a house to buy in the state of Washington with acreage. We found a home in winlock that is 7 acres.
It is just right inside city limits despite being very private and isolated and only having one neighbor with land also.
Even when asking city hall they thought it was outside the limits at first when I explained the location and acres

We wanted the land for a few goats, chickens and maybe a horse. But especially for our dogs.

The limit is 2.. and 3 with getting a kennel license! We do have over that and I intended to do a bit of rescue also like I used to do. Only 3 cats with license are allowed also and we had intentions of a barn cat or two that would be fixed along with our own cats.

Considering this is a rural like tiny town and everyone in the surrounding area has animals.. cows.. horses etc I am a bit shocked.

The home is on sewage and city water.

Is there anything we can possibly do? We love the house and privacy but there's no point with all the restrictions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 02:04 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Beat the seller down on price until it's a good enough deal as-is, or, find another house. Getting property de-annexed would probably require the services of a good real estate lawyer.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:59 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
I think I found the property you're talking about.

I would encourage you to consider that it may feel private now but may not when the neighboring properties continue to be developed as part of the town. From the looks of the map attached, the properties nearly adjacent to yours are set to be subdivided into small lots.

Maybe that's OK with you and you may make money subdividing and selling this property down the road.

But if you want to live in a place long term, there are probably much better private and secluded properties for you to look at. :-) Private and secluded acreages are not that hard to find in SW Washington.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it possible to remove yourself from city limits? (winlock Wa)-winlock.jpg  

Old 04-10-2016, 07:37 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
The chances that you will be allowed to politely remove yourself from the town's tax base are just about less than zip.

Fortunately, you caught that the zoning does not suit your purposes and you can continue to look until you find the right place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington