Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 11:05 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
If he doesn't need it, no one knows he has it, and it doesn't hurt anyone.
I'm not interested in finding out. I don't trust the guy that thinks he needs to be armed to buy groceries. I think that guy is unstable.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:12 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
A gun is designed to kill when the wielder deems it necessary and has the ability to use it for that purpose. Just carrying one does not mean it gets used. Deterrence alone might be enough that the carrier never needs to fire it.

You have, essentially, assumed that all people carrying guns are trigger happy. If that were true, there would be a lot more shootings going on. Just because you can't see a gun doesn't mean he or she doesn't have one.

The fact that a car is not intended for killing makes it no less effective when its USER turns it into a weapon. The gun's USER may or may not choose to use it.

Since you resorted to using a tired old argument, I'll reply in kind: It's the nut behind the wheel, not the car.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:13 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'm not interested in finding out. I don't trust the guy that thinks he needs to be armed to buy groceries. I think that guy is unstable.
Well, maybe we're all better off if you don't know. I think that's probably working out just fine.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
A gun is designed to kill when the wielder deems it necessary and has the ability to use it for that purpose. Just carrying one does not mean it gets used. Deterrence alone might be enough that the carrier never needs to fire it.

You have, essentially, assumed that all people carrying guns are trigger happy. If that were true, there would be a lot more shootings going on. Just because you can't see a gun doesn't mean he or she doesn't have one.

The fact that a car is not intended for killing makes it no less effective when its USER turns it into a weapon. The gun's USER may or may not choose to use it.

Since you resorted to using a tired old argument, I'll reply in kind: It's the nut behind the wheel, not the car.
Would you say a person carrying a grenade is reasonable? You're saying you want the ability to kill based on the judgement call you make. And you want everyone else to trust your judgement. That you won't foolishly shoot. Like so many we see that get shot every day. So many. If everyone's carrying a gun, do you escalate to a more powerful gun? Do you arm everyone in your family for every outing? Like that Nevada politician that sent out Christmas cards with everyone holding guns including her small children? It all sounds pretty unstable to me.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:21 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
You were the one who brought up the notion of someone carrying a gun into the meat department. Have you ever seen someone do that? Maybe everybody who goes to the meat department is carrying one. After all, you can't tell.

Maybe your coworkers are carrying them to work, legal or not. How would you know? Do they work nude?

Old 05-17-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
You were the one who brought up the notion of someone carrying a gun into the meat department. Have you ever seen someone do that? Maybe everybody who goes to the meat department is carrying one. After all, you can't tell.

Maybe your coworkers are carrying them to work, legal or not. How would you know? Do they work nude?
You're right, they could be carrying explosives too. Let's all carry explosives. Let's be prepared for all out war every time we leave the house.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:36 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Would you say a person carrying a grenade is reasonable? You're saying you want the ability to kill based on the judgement call you make. And you want everyone else to trust your judgement. That you won't foolishly shoot. Like so many we see that get shot every day. So many. If everyone's carrying a gun, do you escalate to a more powerful gun? Do you arm everyone in your family for every outing? Like that Nevada politician that sent out Christmas cards with everyone holding guns including her small children? It all sounds pretty unstable to me.
I don't have time to make ALL the arguments your post begs for... I'm late for a date with my husband on the couch, for a movie. I'll try to re-engage in this tomorrow

But I would ask this, for thought... You fear the actions of someone you can't predict who might do you harm. I understand that fear.... and I prepare for it.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I don't have time to make ALL the arguments your post begs for... I'm late for a date with my husband on the couch, for a movie. I'll try to re-engage in this tomorrow

But I would ask this, for thought... You fear the actions of someone you can't predict who might do you harm. I understand that fear.... and I prepare for it.
Unfortunately the person I fear is the one that says he's preparing for a gun fight every time he leaves the house.

I don't doubt the desire for debate. Gun advocates really want everyone to love guns as much as they do.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:57 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
WELL...back to one of the OP's other questions...

My spouse didn't want to mess up his front bumper with a license plate, either, and the state patrol did not give one crap about that, so...on went the front license plate...

Old 05-18-2016, 02:27 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Quote:
Unfortunately the person I fear is the one that says he's preparing for a gun fight every time he leaves the house.

I don't doubt the desire for debate. Gun advocates really want everyone to love guns as much as they do.

Wow, Seacove, the way you feel about guns, maybe you would be happier living in (wait for it, wait for it)...California!!! Oh, the horror, the horror!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington