Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 04:58 AM

45 posts, read 40,320 times

Advertisements

I retired to my same old house just out of Seattle because I am too lazy to move. My boyfriend moved to Toledo WA got 2.3 acres on waterfront on Cowlitz river with a newer double wide, 5 car garage and barn for 260K but I don't want to live that rural, he and his chickens love it. I would love it if it was in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 07:49 AM

76 posts, read 122,960 times
Thanks so much Stealth Rabbit for all the info. Your suggestions very helpful. We know the PNW gray skies from living in OR we had some great memories there when the kids were growing up and met some great people up there. We have family near Seattle and they have told us Seattle is the next silicon valley plus lots of CA folks moving up there too so prices are really going up. Great suggestions on fixers. I will look into the Adair homes builder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Well, where do you live now? I've seen your posts for GA, HI, VA, SC, those areas are quite diverse, what are the attractions?

Old 08-04-2016, 08:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Both Seattle and Portland are priced out of housing, but neither will be the next silicon valley / forest.

Housing affordability has vanished in the last couple yrs, tho has been out of hand for decades.
Especially painful in Portland where wages are considerably lower for the lower level jobs, and 9% income tax at a very low thresh-hold <$10k.

Steer clear of commutable areas to keep your costs down. There are many economically depressed areas to choose from, but you need to dig for property deals. If it is listed for sale, it is too late. Realtors and investors scan new listings daily, so those bargains are gone. You need to be in front of that crowd and find your own deals.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:41 PM

300 posts, read 414,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
WA is not an ideal retirement location IMO. Property taxes and a very high COL make it less desirable for people living on a fixed income. Now, if finances are of no concern, its a great place to live at any age. You won't find a house on 1/4 acre at that price in Western Washington, maybe in the East. The average house price on a normal residential lot is around $550K.
Property tax is high in Washington? You don't know what are you talking about. We pay more than twice the property tax rate in Austin Texas than in Washington. We are currently pay more than $12K property tax in Texas while only pay $6K for our property in Seattle area.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom331 View Post
Property tax is high in Washington? You don't know what are you talking about. We pay more than twice the property tax rate in Austin Texas than in Washington. We are currently pay more than $12K property tax in Texas while only pay $6K for our property in Seattle area.
Na, na - Na, na.... I pay $14,400 annual property tax on my WA property, and $1,400 on my TX property, (near, but not in Austin) both were nearly IDENTICAL cost basis +/- $5,000.

So there!

(Both places can be too stink'n much)

Last week I was able to correct a TX valuation, reducing it to 1/3rd assessor's valuation. It took me 1 hr and 3 documents, and yesterday I got certified confirmation letter. And a very pleasant business like exchange between myself and 4 people at TX assessor office. That will not happen in WA... I go to county hearing every year ~40 hrs prep, then I appeal to Olympia, resulting in another hearing and prep.
Value gets reduced a hair. After the audio tape stops, Assessor gets upset, threatens to hammer me next year, and he does.

Assessor gets to use multiplication (levy / sf cost factors / building condition factors,...) , I only have subtraction available (valuation) so he always wins in the end.

Currently paying $250/sf valuation for what I built for $38/sf
Land value alone is over $300k, I paid $22,000. The place burns to the ground, I will still owe $5,000/ yr property taxes.

Definately screwed up in WA. But not all counties are messed up.
Some counties are messed up in TX, but not all.

Always talk to assessor, and realize it is a temp job that is an elected position in WA. Today's assessor will be tomorrow's developer. Get elected to thankless job, make connections at planning (zoning) and assessor office, go private and rake in the dough. Repeat as necessary. Amazing how much money you can make if you have friends in planning. (You know where all the new roads / commercial zones are slated, abd you can gobble up investment / spec properties, or better yet, areas required for wetland mitigation / credits.

Bankroll awaits.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-05-2016 at 12:17 AM..

Old 08-05-2016, 08:18 AM

I remember our property taxes were high in Oregon. We were on septic and then the city put in sewer and the sewer assessment was so expensive! It sounds like property taxes are high in WA state too. Quite a few folks at work retiring in TX and having homes built there-seems to be a really popular state for retirement. Are there any areas in TX that have good weather? We want to stay away from tornadoes, hurricanes and too much heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Na, na - Na, na.... I pay $14,400 annual property tax on my WA property, and $1,400 on my TX property, (near, but not in Austin) both were nearly IDENTICAL cost basis +/- $5,000.

So there!

(Both places can be too stink'n much)

Last week I was able to correct a TX valuation, reducing it to 1/3rd assessor's valuation. It took me 1 hr and 3 documents, and yesterday I got certified confirmation letter. And a very pleasant business like exchange between myself and 4 people at TX assessor office. That will not happen in WA... I go to county hearing every year ~40 hrs prep, then I appeal to Olympia, resulting in another hearing and prep.
Value gets reduced a hair. After the audio tape stops, Assessor gets upset, threatens to hammer me next year, and he does.

Assessor gets to use multiplication (levy / sf cost factors / building condition factors,...) , I only have subtraction available (valuation) so he always wins in the end.

Currently paying $250/sf valuation for what I built for $38/sf
Land value alone is over $300k, I paid $22,000. The place burns to the ground, I will still owe $5,000/ yr property taxes.

Definately screwed up in WA. But not all counties are messed up.
Some counties are messed up in TX, but not all.

Always talk to assessor, and realize it is a temp job that is an elected position in WA. Today's assessor will be tomorrow's developer. Get elected to thankless job, make connections at planning (zoning) and assessor office, go private and rake in the dough. Repeat as necessary. Amazing how much money you can make if you have friends in planning. (You know where all the new roads / commercial zones are slated, abd you can gobble up investment / spec properties, or better yet, areas required for wetland mitigation / credits.

Bankroll awaits.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:02 AM

Plenty of places in WA with affordable taxes, I have one less than a minute away that is taxed at 1/10th my primary. (Same cost basis). You must know your specific area / levies / assessor / LT voting and development plan.

There is no place in Texas with good summer weather (subjective topic). I chose west Hill Country for least drastic weather / no tornadoes or hurricanes, but probable flash floods and occassional hail. Reasonable, but hot summers, decreased humidity from much of west and east TX. You will have BIG bugs in TX typically you will not find me east of missouri river between May and April. (TX counts as west, but I am not there in summer either.

WA will have one of most moderate YR climates, but it is no San Diego. Low heating and cooling costs. I have never had AC in a WA car, but hopefully you drive something better than a 40 yr old $35 car. (Works fine for me, and I enjoy the 50 mpg and 1200 miles between fill-ups)

Building a new retirement house is near the bottom of my bucket list. I have built several homes and have not got it right yet, so the next will not be right either. I will build a few more, but don't plan to stay in any. A new home is usually taxed very high, even if you build according to the "Low tax house book', those designs are not too senior friendly. I use passive solar, and the moderate benefit of basements in all my homes, but miss my Colorado Solar potential. My WA home is about 30% solar benefit, (not great, not bad). I would not be very pleased with a home that I did not design / heavily remodel. Huge open spaces, large south windows with uniterrupted view, no hallways, lots of curves and angles and full living space on each level is my minimal requirements

USA is not somewhere we will be able to afford in longterm retirement. (Only been retired 12 yrs, but still quite aways shy of 65). I can't invest too much time and effort in USA. It is ez to over commit to 'senior building' project. Don't wear yourself out or get into a huge project. I dislike doing landscaping / sprinklers / sidewalks / mowing/ water run-off mitigation / window coverings / closet organizers / shelves / displacing wildlife and bugs, thus not keen on new homes.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:51 AM

What country do you plan retiring too? I always here of the retirement seminars in Mexico but then on the cable you see hows that have ex pats in different european countries on some shows. I always wondered about that. How can you live there if you are a US citizen? Do you have to come back to USA from time to time due to immigration rules? How would you obtain healthcare if you are a non citizen there? Do you have to be sponsored by someone already living there? There are some beautiful european countries but watching the shows some of the housing looks really expensive and comparable to US costs.

Quote:
Plenty of places in WA with affordable taxes, I have one less than a minute away that is taxed at 1/10th my primary. (Same cost basis). You must know your specific area / levies / assessor / LT voting and development plan.

There is no place in Texas with good summer weather (subjective topic). I chose west Hill Country for least drastic weather / no tornadoes or hurricanes, but probable flash floods and occassional hail. Reasonable, but hot summers, decreased humidity from much of west and east TX. You will have BIG bugs in TX typically you will not find me east of missouri river between May and April. (TX counts as west, but I am not there in summer either.

WA will have one of most moderate YR climates, but it is no San Diego. Low heating and cooling costs. I have never had AC in a WA car, but hopefully you drive something better than a 40 yr old $35 car. (Works fine for me, and I enjoy the 50 mpg and 1200 miles between fill-ups)

Building a new retirement house is near the bottom of my bucket list. I have built several homes and have not got it right yet, so the next will not be right either. I will build a few more, but don't plan to stay in any. A new home is usually taxed very high, even if you build according to the "Low tax house book', those designs are not too senior friendly. I use passive solar, and the moderate benefit of basements in all my homes, but miss my Colorado Solar potential. My WA home is about 30% solar benefit, (not great, not bad). I would not be very pleased with a home that I did not design / heavily remodel. Huge open spaces, large south windows with uniterrupted view, no hallways, lots of curves and angles and full living space on each level is my minimal requirements

USA is not somewhere we will be able to afford in longterm retirement. (Only been retired 12 yrs, but still quite aways shy of 65). I can't invest too much time and effort in USA. It is ez to over commit to 'senior building' project. Don't wear yourself out or get into a huge project. I dislike doing landscaping / sprinklers / sidewalks / mowing/ water run-off mitigation / window coverings / closet organizers / shelves / displacing wildlife and bugs, thus not keen on new homes.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:10 AM

I will go somewhere that does not have a bunch of whining ex-pats.
I don't watch TV, so don't know what is being advertised, I just go international and live like a local. It is not usually very expensive. Many places about 1/10th USA cost. Some that I don't enjoy, many that are fine.

It won't be Mexico, rest assured!

Tthere are many ways to do it, but to emigrate is not ez in most countries, several will take a lump sum investment (can usually be real estate or a business rather than keeping it in the bank)

USA is not an option for healthcare, we are now 'self-insured', not great but USA dissolved all our affordable options. (Not age 65). USA healthcare will implode soon. Drs and HC networks are dropping like flies.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-06-2016 at 11:25 AM..

Old 08-06-2016, 11:44 AM

We were a bit spooked by the Mexico retirement seminars so no Mexican retirement for us either. I was just curious about foreign country retirements. What do you think of Australia? I heard it is a beautiful place to live but not sure how many ex pats are there or how their costs are or healthcare. Spain? I have a friend who lived in Spain when her husband was stationed there in the military. She loved living there.

Quote:
I will go somewhere that does not have a bunch of whining ex-pats.
I don't watch TV, so don't know what is being advertised, I just go international and live like a local. It is not usually very expensive. Many places about 1/10th USA cost. Some that I don't enjoy, many that are fine.

It won't be Mexico, rest assured!

Tthere are many ways to do it, but to emigrate is not ez in most countries, several will take a lump sum investment (can usually be real estate or a business rather than keeping it in the bank)

USA is not an option for healthcare, we are now 'self-insured', not great but USA dissolved all our affordable options. (Not age 65). USA healthcare will implode soon. Drs and HC networks are dropping like flies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington