Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 10:08 AM

32 posts, read 188,764 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We have five horses and are moving up to Washington (from the high-country in northern Arizona) We came here from South Dakota, and the north just beckons us and won't leave us alone... and my sister is in Washington and I always miss her terribly. South Dakota was minus 57 the last winter we were there so horse-keeping can be rough there. Washington seems right. So, we are wondering about a couple things. Is Cle Elum, Teanaway etc, located in such a way that they are in the 'eastern Washington' category as far as weather, or because they are along that draw, wet and windy instead?
We were told that Ellensburg is quite windy. Had enough of that here, less would be nice. Also, any forest-edge communities, between Cle Elum and Goldendale?
We want snow, not rain. Much easier on the horses and on us.
We are also looking at the Twisp, east Wenatchee, Cashmere, east of Leavenworth areas. Maybe on down from Wenatchee? Like in the direction of Liberty? What is it like there? We need the forest to not be dense cover, so it is better for riding, so near Leavenworth may not be the best, judging by the photos.
We were also told that it is difficult to buy timothy or bermuda hay in eastern Washington. Anyone know areas where this is not so?
Any advice, warnings, or encouragement are sure appreciated. And we'll come up in person when we can. A bit heavily committed at the moment. I have only been to western WA, and Spokane. Not the central or eastern edge of the Cascades, as we are looking into now.
By the way I am not opposed to Spokane or Moses Lake area at all, just think it is too far too Seattle for visiting my Sis. In advance, we thank you for any help you can provide in educating us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2006, 06:07 PM

291 posts, read 710,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmountain View Post
...Is Cle Elum, Teanaway etc, located in such a way that they are in the 'eastern Washington' category as far as weather, or because they are along that draw, wet and windy instead?
The former (E WA fair, dry wx). (The east side of Snoqualamie/Stampede pass points southeast, while the prevailing winds are from the southwest; almost orthogonal. So the pass rarely funnels damp air over; usually, winds have to go over the mts to get to Cle Elum.)

Mitch, I read and re-read this, and think you're right that you've got a wealth of possibilities along the eastern Cascades, and it's a hard decision because all of them are good! But for proximity to your sis in Seattle, you couldn't beat Cle Elum. It's within easy "day trip" distance (so you can get home to care for the horses!).

Old 10-14-2006, 06:16 PM

291 posts, read 710,201 times
p.s. Mitch, I just wanted to point you in the direction of the Backcountry Horsemen of WA bchw.org If you're interested in longer pack trips into state and national forest lands, they're the ones to talk to. They do volunteer trail work, build loading ramps at trailheads, etc. They sometimes work with the group I'm involved in, Wash Trail Assoc., that's more oriented to hiking.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:07 AM

454 posts, read 905,878 times
I agree with Rod Farlee that Cle Elum is probably the ideal place. The weather there is, as in any area that is east of the cascade peak drier, but you must be careful about the exact location of your property. For example, the amount of rain in Cle Elum per year is around 22", but move 6 miles to the northwest to Lake Cle Elum and you add an unbelievable 14 inches to that total. For more horse country you would want to look southeast of Cle Elum.

Don't eliminate Ellensburg. It's windy but not unbearable. When it is windy it is about 10 to 20 MPH and pretty steady, but at times is can be very strong.

Neither location gets as cold as South Dakota. I have been in Ellensburg when it was below zero in the mid afternoon, but usually the lows are in the teens and single digits.

Ellensburg is a horse town so supplies et. al. as easily available, as well as a very large and popular Rodeo in September.

Both Ellensburg and Cle Elum are under 2 hours drive across I-90 to Seattle over a well groomed 4 lane hiway.

Ellensburg has less than 6" of snow on average with record highs around 24". Cle Elum has less than 12" of snow on average but has a record high of over 80" in 1996, with an average record high of around 36".

A visit will help get you a better overview of the area.

Good luck

The dufferz

Old 10-15-2006, 10:16 AM

Wonderful information, thank you so much! Since I want snow, sounds like Cle Elum would get more than Ellensburg. South Cle Elum, still is not getting damp weather blown in from the west? On the map it looks like it would.
Leaning stongly towards Cle Elum and the drier Roslyn area. But still asking about places all over, to get a better feel for it. It's working. too! I have eliminated several places already, finding ou that they are surrounded by dry brown basically treeless hills, and that just isn't where I want to ride my horses.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:10 PM

23 posts, read 120,650 times
Well I'd be interested in where you end up. I'm in the same boat...or should we say coral...LOL.

I'm a horse person and currently live in NE GA...humid and hot even today...I've got a cabinet full of RX's for rain rot, thrush, scratches ect...and assorted other stuff that goes along with horses in wet environs.

I'm a big beliver in leaving them out with shelter instead of stalling all the time.

I don't want tooo cold but I can live with a bit of dry snow as opposed to rain.

So please let me know what areas you've eliminated and why and what areas your still looking at.

I'm looking at the Yakima Valley...lots of trail riding available and showing if your into it.

Also, southern Oregon, however the cost of housing seems to be pretty hi there.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:48 PM

454 posts, read 905,878 times
Movingwest,

Be aware that the temperatures in eastern washington can easily get in the single digits. Been there at 2:00 PM with the temp being below zero.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:58 PM

LOL I was born and raised in Portland, OR went to school in Bend and Lived in Leadville Co. for a while.

Dry cold doesn't bother me it's the wet humid stuff that gets to me.

I'd much rather get up to feed and bundle up as opposed to walking out of the house at 6:30am and it's already 80+ with 100% humidity.

Is there a general thread on the board for us horse peeps to share better horse keeping areas?

Old 10-24-2006, 07:04 PM

I too would like to know which would be a horse peep thread Thought I already posted that but I don't see it..........

Old 10-25-2006, 05:58 AM

I did a search and couldn't find one. Maybe we should start one in the general area and find out what peeps are looking for and about different areas.

I know what I want, dry hi plains but not long winters. I've been looking at NM, Central and eastern OR and WA, and ID.

I've used the backcountry horseman a lot to see how much trail riding is available and WA state seems to have the most chapters.

I'm also looking at horse keeping practices by each state. GA is very restrictive on how much property you must have, road frontage ect.

NM seems to be the best as far as zoning, but they do have bubonic plauge and hanntavirus outbreaks each year and I can't take that chance. So I've widened my search.

I also want to get away from burmuda hay and down here that's about all you can get unless you want to spend 9-10 bucks a bale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington