Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 06:55 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,985 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at buying a vehicle from private owners here in WA,just moved here last year so not sure how the process differs from where I was. Do they need the title,for example,or can I just buy it and put it in my name? Things like that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 07:12 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
They need to have the title and sign it over to you.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
The seller has to sign the title releasing their interest, then you have to take it to the local DOL and pay the transfer fee and use tax on the value to put it in your name. You have only 15 days to do this by law. Most people will get a lower bill of sale than they actually paid, but the DOL doesn't usually fall for that, and uses fair market value rather than the sale amount if higher. You should also get insurance as soon as you can, of course, because you must prove having it if you get pulled over.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The seller has to sign the title releasing their interest, then you have to take it to the local DOL and pay the transfer fee and use tax on the value to put it in your name. You have only 15 days to do this by law. Most people will get a lower bill of sale than they actually paid, but the DOL doesn't usually fall for that, and uses fair market value rather than the sale amount if higher. You should also get insurance as soon as you can, of course, because you must prove having it if you get pulled over.
I'm traveling nearly 3 hours to buy one from craigslist so do I need to go to their DOL or can I just go to mine by myself? Also,it's not running so I'll have to use my AAA to have it towed so I don't need to be concerned with insuring it right away...

Old 08-29-2016, 07:42 PM

I've also been seeing ones with 'lost title',one said buyer would have to file for lost title. Last place I lived it was the owner that was responsible for getting a replacement title...and how long does that take?

Old 08-29-2016, 07:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I'm traveling nearly 3 hours to buy one from craigslist so do I need to go to their DOL or can I just go to mine by myself? Also,it's not running so I'll have to use my AAA to have it towed so I don't need to be concerned with insuring it right away...
In that case, sure, wait until you get back to your local DOL and just do it within 15 days. No title is risky, it could be stolen.

If all goes well, it takes 8-10 weeks after filing the notarized affidavit at DOL.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
in WA you really want a title that is CURRENT (within last 8 yrs). If previous owner / seller lost it and can sign a title waiver it will usually suffice. Seller will want to file a "release" (as required of them by WA DOL) and SMART for liability reasons.

If totally lost title, WA has a procedure that will allow you to register it, and after 3 yrs if there is no protest, you can title it. VERY PITA as also needs a WSP inspection.

If you are close enough to OR, title it there using a 'mechanics lien' from towing company ($75, you can title in OR using your WA addy, but will need to drag it / drive it to OR DMV AFTER you get your lien paperwork... for a 30 sec inspection), you will need to transfer title to WA to register / get plates.

For lost titles and no access to OR, you can get a BoS from a Vermont addy and THEN use that in WA state to title.

If you are all about saving sales tax on your zillion dollar WA vehicles, you form a MT LLC ($70 + $15/yr) to own your MT registered vehicles (lifetime registration is nice!, no emissions, no safety inspections). Be SURE to not trigger illegal / tax evasion. Tax avoidance is 'legal' (with legitimate cause). You will not want to cross your insurance company rules either! It helps to have a MT cabin and shop / garage for vehicle to attend 'boarding school as required), but not always necessary.

I have been in WA (my domicile) all of 2 months during the last 3 yrs, but they get $14,400 / yr property tax for the 'privilege', and I really don't need to use MT LLC to register my $35 evil VW Diesel Rabbits. / GTD's

Old 08-30-2016, 03:01 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
I have seen quite a few cars with "lost titles" advertised on Craigslist & elsewhere. Personally, I wouldn't consider buying a car w/o getting the signed title, checking the seller's ID, AND getting a signed bill of sale. BTW, I'm pretty sure that AAA does not tow cars long distances unless you pay by the mile, just like any towing company. AAA towing is usually for emergency roadside service.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
BTW, I'm pretty sure that AAA does not tow cars long distances unless you pay by the mile, just like any towing company. AAA towing is usually for emergency roadside service.
I've had them for years and they are pretty good,I upgraded my membership to premium and they tow up to 200 miles!

Old 08-30-2016, 05:14 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I've had them for years and they are pretty good,I upgraded my membership to premium and they tow up to 200 miles!
I did not know that! Learned something new...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington