Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,044 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am new here to Washington. I am currently staying on the South side. I moved here from Detroit, MI. So needless to say Seattle is a very different scene for me. I cant find anyone to do my hair for a decent price. all I want is a simple lace closure quick weave. I do not wanna pay 200 dollars for it and I want it done right. I need new friends, I am so lonely here. A couple of girlfriends to hang out with would be fabulous. i know that Seattle is just a huge melting pot of primarily Asians but gosh the black folk have gots to be some where lol.

can anyone point me in the right direction or have any suggestions. I always feel so out of place because i am a IT professional but I dont act like the average IT Guy/Gal. I am not into video games, anime, computers, hiking, and none of that other stuff. I like dancing, shopping, going out to eat u know city girl stuff. Please help me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 05:09 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,475 times
Check your messages.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:00 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Check out the Yesler Community Center, operated by the Seattle Parks Dept. They may still have an African music program and other programming for a multicultural community. It's a place to start to make some good connections and find someone to talk to. 917 E Yesler Way

Old 09-24-2016, 08:23 AM
mev

154 posts, read 295,765 times
Try I AM natural in Seattle. There is also the Ethiopian Community Center that has very good leads for hair care.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:39 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-townKayJones View Post
Hello,

I am new here to Washington. I am currently staying on the South side. I moved here from Detroit, MI. So needless to say Seattle is a very different scene for me. I cant find anyone to do my hair for a decent price. all I want is a simple lace closure quick weave. I do not wanna pay 200 dollars for it and I want it done right. I need new friends, I am so lonely here. A couple of girlfriends to hang out with would be fabulous. i know that Seattle is just a huge melting pot of primarily Asians but gosh the black folk have gots to be some where lol.

can anyone point me in the right direction or have any suggestions. I always feel so out of place because i am a IT professional but I dont act like the average IT Guy/Gal. I am not into video games, anime, computers, hiking, and none of that other stuff. I like dancing, shopping, going out to eat u know city girl stuff. Please help me
Seriously, is your vernacular writing authentic? "Black folks have gots to be some <sic> where lol"

Old 09-25-2016, 11:13 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Why do you care? She is addressing "black sistahs" and "black folk", not southern white "y'all" y'hoos (like y'self?).

D-town, you've posted this in the wrong forum - you should be posting in the Seattle forum (phrase it however you like, damn the language police):

//www.city-data.com/forum/seattle-area/

Old 09-25-2016, 06:09 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Why do you care? She is addressing "black sistahs" and "black folk", not southern white "y'all" y'hoos (like y'self?).
So, you're criticizing someone for stereotyping another person's writing style by stereotyping their writing style?

Old 09-25-2016, 06:49 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
So, you're criticizing someone for stereotyping another person's writing style by stereotyping their writing style?
He wasn't stereotyping her, but criticized her addressing other blacks using "black" vernacular expressions. I just turned the criticism on its head, with his attitude, not his writing style, in mind.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:07 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,475 times
To be fair, she used vernacular that was extremely specific. In her post, she calls out to people of a specific ethnicity, with a particular type of hair that is not common with many other ethnicities.

She also specified a particular hairstyle that she was looking for, specific that people of a certain ethnicity may use or be interested in. To that end, the post had a lot of information that was specialized and specific to a particular audience. The vernacular was just dressing on a particular message.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:30 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
He wasn't stereotyping her, but criticized her addressing other blacks using "black" vernacular expressions. I just turned the criticism on its head, with his attitude, not his writing style, in mind.
So, by his "attitude", you assume that he's white? You can see his location based on his info, but not his race. So how is that not stereotyping?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: