Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 12:47 PM

642 posts, read 3,073,179 times

Advertisements

Rodfarlee wrote:
Quote:
"Droves"? Nader got 0.8% of the 2004 WA vote, less he got in a dozen other states.
Please review my quote once again. I said comparatively. There may be a few states that also vote higher percentages for Nader (which by the way nationally was down this last presidential election, for a variety of reasons.) and third party candidates, but WA is one of the highest and this is important to having a sense of the state overall, when one asks specifically about the politics overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 08:49 PM

603 posts, read 1,996,024 times
Hands down, Eastern WA is VERY red. I grew up in the Tri-Cities my entire life and basically every town east of the Cascade mountains is "red" and has voted that way consistently for many, many years. If you dig deep enough, you will find out about the times that they have considered splitting up WA into 2 states (border being the mountains), along with possibly merging with eastern OR as well. It's a lot of talk that is never likely to materialize into anything significant. But, trust me, as long as you aren't near Seattle metro, you will fit in just fine if you are a conservative. Despite the conservative attitude, I think people are still very tolerant as well, so they aren't as close minded as most people would make it out to be. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:48 PM

76 posts, read 283,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
I have lived most of my life in the blue part of oregon, and I always treat my conservative neighbors with respect, however when I go to the east side I get stared and pointed at like I am a circus freak. (Could be the long hair and VW bus). But if anything shockes me, its how some people think it is ok to be rude because they don't like my percieved voting prefs. I think people should just be polite and respectful.
I agree with you brett- that we should treat our neighbors with respect and politeness. In the town that I live in cali ( very very left) the opposite of your situation occurs. the conservatives that reside here might have a bush-cheney sticker on their car, a pro patriotic sticker or christian sticker thats about it. Nothing bashing another party or bashing a faith. however the liberals here make it a point to bash bush , conservatives and christians every chance they get. Now I know that there are liberal christians so I am not saying that all liberals are anti-christian but here they are running rampid.
One example inparticular is a friend of mine had a prolife sticker on her car. It
just said "I am pro-life" thats it. thats all it said and yet a person took it upon themselves to write a very rude note stating their own believe in favor of abortion. Why? why even go there. just leave it right no not here. Lord knows there have been plenty of signs that I would love to respond to but I dont cuz that is there choice not mine. but rudeness is ok on one side not the other here. to me rudeness is not ok anywhere.
I have lived in southern and nouthern cali so I know that not all of cali is as liberal as ft. bragg, ( where I currently reside) but as you know there is a great exodus of california and I have noticed that alot of them are conservatives. so eventually the whole state might have the same view of this town. I truly hope not but I am not sticking around to find out. My son wanted to wear a t-shirt that said " i love jesus -jesus loves you" he is almost 8 years old and I have concerns how it will be received at school by the staff and other students. its sad when a person has to feel that way. So that is why I am concerned about the political ideas of washington cuz I dont want to have to move again in 5 years.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:53 PM

Default P.s.

Thank you all for your posts. I have definitely got an idea of where to go if we decide on Washington.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:03 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Even parts of Western Washington not too far from Seattle are quite red. Renton is pretty evenly divided, Kent is slightly red, and Auburn is red.
Around the ocean are some very conservative democrats.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:22 PM

I have family in Silverdale (not far from Bremerton), that have raised their children with great commitment and faith (Christian). Although they probably don't see themselves as Republican, their whole value system is very much conservative. Similar probably to the group mentioned in the last post.

I mention this as I have always been impressed with how wonderfully unhindered the children are about their belief in God, which tells me the community in which they raise their children (they go to public schools), has done little to dissuade the children from their strong commitment. Although they may have been well versed in the persecution realty young and thus see it all just as that and attacks may only strengthen their commitment. That is also something to consider as well.

We also live in a community now where if we had a Bush Cheney sign on our car or any signs of Republican or conservative beliefs (i.e. Pro life etc) we would be keyed or attacked in some way as well. Not to mention the all out attacks on Christians in the schools here by professors--that have been worthy of many lawsuits (few filed of course because of the students fears).

Old 12-02-2006, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
I have family in Silverdale (not far from Bremerton), that have raised their children with great commitment and faith (Christian). Although they probably don't see themselves as Republican, their whole value system is very much conservative. Similar probably to the group mentioned in the last post.

I mention this as I have always been impressed with how wonderfully unhindered the children are about their belief in God, which tells me the community in which they raise their children (they go to public schools), has done little to dissuade the children from their strong commitment. Although they may have been well versed in the persecution realty young and thus see it all just as that and attacks may only strengthen their commitment. That is also something to consider as well.

We also live in a community now where if we had a Bush Cheney sign on our car or any signs of Republican or conservative beliefs (i.e. Pro life etc) we would be keyed or attacked in some way as well. Not to mention the all out attacks on Christians in the schools here by professors--that have been worthy of many lawsuits (few filed of course because of the students fears).

thank you fairweathergolfer I know i am not the only one. Do you mind saying where you are? just wondering.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:43 PM

Los Angeles.

I definitely want to make sure you know I lived in Seattle not long ago and lived there for 12 to 14 years. I also lived in the NW all of my life (a stint in Portland and another NW state), prior to moving to southern California. I only mention this so you have a good sense of where my thoughts and opinions come regarding the NW and Seattle specifically. Many blessings to you and your family. I miss the NW and love it. May you and your family too.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:40 PM

29 posts, read 181,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodFarlee View Post
Idaho might fit your criterion better than Washington? ID is deep red, while WA is pale blue.

Politics may bring Californians into the streets with torches, while Washington holds a candlelight procession.
Yes, but how many of those Californians were legal residents? Being an ex-Californian and conservative, it sure was a welcome change to receive all those thumbs up expressions here in Washington over my bumper stickers than that other fingered expression.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3 Liters View Post
Yes, but how many of those Californians were legal residents? Being an ex-Californian and conservative, it sure was a welcome change to receive all those thumbs up expressions here in Washington over my bumper stickers than that other fingered expression.

from what I have heard from family and friends and researching online. Alot of latinos from california are moving to washington. so how long will it take before your statement becomes reality in wa? just a thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington