Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 04:45 PM

329 posts, read 470,010 times

Advertisements

Wow thank you SO much for all this valuable information. It means so much to us.
Our grandkids will probably be somewhere around Federal way.
I really wish we could rent first but we are bringing our two dogs and cat too and know that we won't find a rental with pets.
We plan on getting a new car or SUV once we move and great idea about the driver assist. ��
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 11:16 AM

Just to followup on my trip to the Sound.. ( I love reading when people follow up on a post)
So I actually screamed with excitement while crossing over the Narrows Bridge..
It was SO foggy that day, but look SO cool .. It felt like a a movie..
We stopped at Gig Harbor and had lunch on the Sound.. just loved that area and loved that there was a Target and several stores there..
We then went to Port Orchard.. Got out and walked around Long Lake.. another beautiful area..
Headed to Bremerton..We drove around all the Navy base areas.. was not crazy about that area at all.. In fact we went to get a hotel there and it was so scary looking that we just headed over to Silverdale.. that was a nice area there.. Did check out the Mall since it was near our hotel on the Sound.. ( spent the night in Silverdale)
The next morning we drove to Poulsbo.. ADORABLE just like everyone said.. We went the the bakery and ate our treats near the water.. so nice and just enjoyed walking around the quaint town ..
From there we went to Belfair.. I really loved that area too.. just wish the town was bit bigger.. But we stopped at Starbucks and drove around a bit..
Check out Allyn too, loved it but super small town..
Next stop was Shelton.. I really should have drove around there more since I see so many affordable homes on Zillow now.. But we just went to the Safeway and was not to crazy about that area so just left..
From there we went to Olympia.. woooow, that stole my heart..♥♥
But I did love the SOUND.. I can't wait to go back and spend more time there again..♥

Old 03-01-2017, 12:08 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
If you make a further trip, check out Tenino, Yelm, Elma, and Montesano.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:24 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
Thanks for the update Therese. The Key Peninsula are is gorgeous, I grew up in Gig Harbor and my mother still has a home there. The family also has a beach house past Belfair on Hood Canal.

Belfair the town isn't much, the Canal is great because it's much warmer than Puget Sound and people do actually swim in it. Also good for clam digging and we pull crab out of it too.

Shelton has it's challenges, I honestly wouldn't recommend anyone move there, it's kinda like the one bad cousin in the nice big family.

If I were ready to retire, I'd be looking on Vashon Island, ferry service both to West Seattle and Tacoma near Pt. Defiance Park. Nice little town, very local oriented and feels like a 100 miles away from the big city.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Thanks for the update Therese. The Key Peninsula are is gorgeous, I grew up in Gig Harbor and my mother still has a home there. The family also has a beach house past Belfair on Hood Canal.

Belfair the town isn't much, the Canal is great because it's much warmer than Puget Sound and people do actually swim in it. Also good for clam digging and we pull crab out of it too.

Shelton has it's challenges, I honestly wouldn't recommend anyone move there, it's kinda like the one bad cousin in the nice big family.

If I were ready to retire, I'd be looking on Vashon Island, ferry service both to West Seattle and Tacoma near Pt. Defiance Park. Nice little town, very local oriented and feels like a 100 miles away from the big city.
Gig Harbor seems to have it all.. ♥ Do you know anything about Longbranch, Lakebay and Vaughn?? Is there a little town in any of those?
I heard great things about Vashon but hate to rely on a ferry in case of every leaving for emergency..
Boston Harbor sounds perfect too, I will have to check out that area next trip..

Old 03-02-2017, 02:50 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
It's been so long since I've been out there I'm not a usable source of info. I can say it's a bit more of a trek over the Narrows Bridge so husband commute will be tough. Beautiful area though.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:51 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therese marie View Post
Gig Harbor seems to have it all.. ♥ Do you know anything about Longbranch, Lakebay and Vaughn?? Is there a little town in any of those?
I heard great things about Vashon but hate to rely on a ferry in case of every leaving for emergency..
Boston Harbor sounds perfect too, I will have to check out that area next trip..
Including traffic, with one way in or out (SR 16), and a toll, between GH and Tacoma:

The Key Peninsula is pretty rural. No real downtowns. Lakebay has a shopping strip, with a post office and library. If you want idyllic pastoral and water views, but not too far from Tacoma, that's it.

Want waterfront?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...96548870_zpid/

Old 03-04-2017, 12:35 PM

Pretty Amazing views.. just wish it was a bit closer to town..
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...341_rect/9_zm/

Old 06-18-2022, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,097 times
When you described wanting to be in a city where everyone knows everyone and people are polite and friendly, I don’t believe you will find that in Puget Sound or anywhere in Seattle for that matter. What you are describing is more common in the Deep South and Midwest. People in the Pacific Northwest are very reserved. They are polite yet have no interest in getting to know you. That being said, people will warm up to you eventually given that they feel they have something in common with you. I lived in the Puget Sound for 1-year and it was a bit of a culture shock for me. I am from the south and we are used to being very friendly and warm with everyone. People in PS are very uncomfortable with eye contact and they might walk by you and pretend that you don’t exist. The coldness was hard to deal with but I got used to it eventually. I lived with my wife here and she felt the same way. Luckily, we had each other during our brief time there. It would be pretty hard to deal with moving to Washington as a single person. I left and moved back to the south the first chance I got. I wouldn’t want to raise a family there. Southern hospitality is important and it’s better to be in an environment that supports this.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:13 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Interesting that you chose this thread to wake up, Pete... because I happen to know the OP well now, and I think she's really happy here in a nice community that she loves.

I think people tend find their own when they move to a new area. Happy optimistic people find other happy optimistic people. Unfortunately, so do judgmental and unhappy people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington