Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 10:20 PM

114 posts, read 112,572 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved to the South Sound a little over a year ago. We like to go out to dinner and when we do, we dine at the bar (service tends to be quicker, and usually no kids allowed; we don't have kids). It's pretty frequent that we do this (at least twice a week).

Tonight I decided I have to ask. Do any of you ever feel unusually tired/loopy/under the influence after having only a drink or two, across 2+ hours? Tonight we went to a well-established chain and I don't think the bartender over-poured (we know her by now) and that was 3 hours ago and I am still loopy, dizzy, sleepy, having a hard time standing. This is not the first time this has happened. It's probably been around a dozen times across a year. No, I'm not on medication. I have been drinking the same drink for probably 20 years now, only one or two, across 2 or more hours.

So as an almost 50-year-old who has lived in 9 other states and never had this feeling: do you get - what - contact highs or something around here? People who are smoking joints around the back of the restaurant?
Or are there remnants of marijuana in the bar glasses, or something? I've never had this loopy, uncomfortable reaction in my life, except since moving to Washington.

Flame me if you want, but there might be someone else out there who feels this same thing. It's not cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 10:55 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,695 times
The older you get, the more difficult it becomes for your body to process alcohol. Lots of articles on this. Also, if you've recently gained weight, drinks are going to hit you harder. I don't think it has anything to do with Washington state. Natural consequence of aging, and possibly your health/fitness.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:19 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,360,787 times
I don't drink myself so I don't know one way or the other, but I've never heard anybody else complaining about it as a thing around here.

Does this happen at that one place only or at other bars too? Has your husband experienced any of the same symptoms? If so there's probably something to your theory of contact highs. If not, you might want to ask your doctor about it.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:52 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgkrudi View Post
My husband and I moved to the South Sound a little over a year ago. We like to go out to dinner and when we do, we dine at the bar (service tends to be quicker, and usually no kids allowed; we don't have kids). It's pretty frequent that we do this (at least twice a week).

Tonight I decided I have to ask. Do any of you ever feel unusually tired/loopy/under the influence after having only a drink or two, across 2+ hours? Tonight we went to a well-established chain and I don't think the bartender over-poured (we know her by now) and that was 3 hours ago and I am still loopy, dizzy, sleepy, having a hard time standing. This is not the first time this has happened. It's probably been around a dozen times across a year. No, I'm not on medication. I have been drinking the same drink for probably 20 years now, only one or two, across 2 or more hours.

So as an almost 50-year-old who has lived in 9 other states and never had this feeling: do you get - what - contact highs or something around here? People who are smoking joints around the back of the restaurant?
Or are there remnants of marijuana in the bar glasses, or something? I've never had this loopy, uncomfortable reaction in my life, except since moving to Washington.

Flame me if you want, but there might be someone else out there who feels this same thing. It's not cool.
Sounds like aging to me. It's very common for people to become less tolerant of alcohol as they get older. Or maybe you're used to somewhat watered down versions of your favorite drink and are now going to a better bar where you get what you pay for.

It is illegal to smoke weed in public, and no reputable restaurant would tolerate either their employees or customers doing it - it would be a very good way to get their liquor license yanked. Yes, people do break this law, but not in numbers large enough to get you high or even a bit woozy.

While "contact high" is a real phenomenon, it requires A LOT of smoke. As in, a literal cloud. Trace amounts on a glass or a whiff of second-hand smoke can't do it.

I've been smoking (and occasionally eating) dope for nearly 50 years. I agree, it is VERY UNCOOL for someone to secretly drug someone else. I've only had that experience once in all those years, the overwhelming majority of marijuana users would never do that. Anymore than most alcohol users would spike a stranger's drink.

BTW, MSG makes some people feel what you are describing. Is that a possibility?

Last edited by jacqueg; 08-26-2017 at 01:08 AM..

Old 08-26-2017, 08:30 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,273,026 times
I have no clue how living in a particular state would have anything to do with your personal health.

Alcohol is alcohol - this state is no different than anywhere else on earth. And as far as some ambiguous "contact high" - it's not like there are pot smokers every three feet on the sidewalk just because it's now legal.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:33 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,231,047 times
No. It is not cannabis. That's not how it works.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:14 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,501,432 times
I would tend ta go with the "older age effect from the alcohol" thing going on here. That's probably what's going on.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:36 AM

812 posts, read 1,062,579 times
I like the MSG theory. That definitely matches the symptoms of an MSG "overdose".
My wife and I had an extreme case happen to us in a chinese restaurant and thought we were coming down with the flu or drugged or something, until we finally figured it out. Since then we have been a lot more aware of the symptoms.

Or age. 50 is a good time in life to start losing tolerance. But this sounds pretty extreme

Maybe a slight chance that your previous location was watering down the drinks, and now as a favored regular customer they think they are doing you a favor by adding a bit extra.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:33 AM

114 posts, read 112,572 times
Thanks for your replies, everyone! Could very well be the age thing or MSG. I really hadn't thought about it like that. It stinks getting old...

Old 08-26-2017, 11:18 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
If you buy that drink from a liquor store and mix it yourself, does it have the same effect?

Maybe there is some environmental factor at that bar making you logey.

Are you diabetic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington