Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:14 PM

332 posts, read 1,625,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dufferz View Post
I travel a lot around Western and Central Washington. Fast food can only go so far but I also don't like just finding the nearest Denny's or chain restaurant. On the other hand, to try a new mom and pop hole in the wall can be a little scary (especially if you visit the bathroom from hell).

Since we all are Washington locals of our own towns and cities, I would love to know what local restaurants do you consider a gem?

The one I have told many about who are wanting to go to Ellensburg is the Ellenberg Pasta Company, housed on the main drag of old town, a converted auto dealership. The greek salad is second to none, and the pasta is good also, prices are very reasonable. For me it is worth the 2 hour trip.

What else is out there?

Places in Tacoma
(note: I haven't been there in a couple of years, so check to make sure these places still exist before you go . . . )

Southern Kitchen (esp for breakfast)
Rock Pizza
Little Holland (burger stand -- no indoor seating, just some picnic tables outside, and open kind of weird hours if I recall)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 12:29 AM

8 posts, read 81,241 times
A great place that I have found is a place called "country cousins" in centralia. It has the best breakfast ever...

Old 02-12-2007, 04:13 PM

29 posts, read 96,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
"bigfoot tavern" washougal, for good burgers and Friday all-u-can-eat 'Fish n Chips'

Spiffy's at Hwy12 and I-5 can be good on occasion... really seems to vary, but the 'prime-rib' sandwich was good a while back

the 'english' restaurant (flag on roof) on the west side of I-5 Chehalis (city center) exit was pretty good, but adequately spendy.

I usually have been pleased with 'Tony Romas', but they are hard to find lately
I have to agree with the Big Foot!! Nicks Tavern in Amboy is a great burger too. I have to say for Mexican though is a small little place in Vancouver off Fouth Plain called the Mexican Villa it has been open and backed since 1974?

We moved to FL and I sure miss the good food in the NW. There is only chain resturants, no ma and pa and no good breakfast places...

Old 02-12-2007, 07:13 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,735,161 times
Bob's burger and brew gets my vote up here in B'ham and Cook Rd(skagit county). Huge burgers with a pile of fries, bottomless soda and for the most part it's all really good and fairly priced. I'm 6-2 and 255lbs, and I'm full after bob's. Most normal people I'm sure would be fine sharing a meal there like my grandparents.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,768 times
Default Hole in the Wall

An awesome place for breakfast and lunch is a cute little place called Carols Corner. They don't take checks and the food is so yummy. You will take more than half of it home with you.

You'll love it.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:50 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihipali View Post
An awesome place for breakfast and lunch is a cute little place called Carols Corner. They don't take checks and the food is so yummy. You will take more than half of it home with you.

You'll love it.

Where is it, nihipali?

Old 07-05-2007, 05:24 PM

21 posts, read 100,785 times
Gordito's!!! They are in Seattle, they have a new location do believe it's in the Queen Anne area. Their burritos are huge easly 3 meals from the grande size. Wet steak burrito is the best by far. And if you have a cold get it spicy it will clear your sinus right up.

Also there is a wonderful mom and pops resturant in Salvana, wa... a lot of people go there for breakfast. It's been over 10 years since I been there. They were very popular can't remember the name but I am sure it's the only resturant in town. I just remember there pancakes being HUGE!

Old 07-06-2007, 05:47 PM

417 posts, read 1,282,403 times
Default Food joints

Cle Elum would definitely be Cottage Cafe on East 1st Street-driving east on I-90 take Cle Elum exit and drive through town (obeying the speed limit for gosh sake) and it is on the far side of town. Best breakfasts around but get there early or you stand and wait. Been there since the 30's.

Here's a second vote for Little Holland. Tacoma, it's on Center Street and just east of S. Orchard (tiny place, 2 or 3 outside picnic tables on blacktop). Try their Mikie's Burger, it's renowned. They are open Wednesday through Saturday, and sometimes not even on those days.....it's a mom/pop enterprise.

Fife - on state highway 99 and about 1/2 mile north of Port of Tacoma Exit - Pick-Quick. They have been there for like 50 years, very comparable to Little Holland. Another tiny place with no inside dining but have a lovely, grassy, tree-shaded area with picnic tables and hanging flower baskets. Even on the rainy days there is a line to order.

For Tacoma Mexican, try Taqueria El Ranconsito on 5415 Pacific Ave. While eating there I noticed that it is a also has about 8 other locations in the south sound area. My friend, who knows all the best authentic tasting restaurants clued me into this place.

Tacoma best Vietnamese has to be Vien Dong on 38th and Yakima. Once again my a find by my friend and even the Vietnam gals who do my nails all give Vien Dong their seal of approval. Tiny little restaurant with maybe 10 tables.

I also like Herman's Burgers Etc. It is located in the Target/Top Foods strip mall off of Highway 16 and Union. A couple doors down from Hollywood Video. Small diner that has a 50's feel. Seating in booths (about 8 booths) or at the counter (about 8 stools).

One last Tacoma breakfast recommendation, The Old Milwaukee Cafe 3102 6th Avenue. Breakfast only, open only from about 6am to 2pm (but not every day), has about 8 booths and get there early or you stand in line. It is tiny, tiny family run business.

Now, someone please tell me about a good Chinese Restaurant in Tacoma.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:00 PM

417 posts, read 1,282,403 times
Default Carols' Corner Cafe in Vancouver, WA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihipali View Post

You'll love it.

Would this be Carols' Corner Cafe at 7800 NE St Johns Rd, Vancouver, WA??

Old 07-06-2007, 06:55 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
BOBS JAVA JIVE in Tacoma. It may not be there any more but the building is shaped like a giant tea-pot and they had monkeys in there. Good burgers and decent pool tables along with a somewhat challenged son of the owners who played piano with major plumber pants showing ! He only played old TV show theme songs along with a drummer. This was a hard core blue collar lunch dive and a fun novelty bar hopping stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington