Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 08:28 AM

44 posts, read 44,775 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I'm currently from upstate NY in the Adirondacks and as beautiful as it is here, I just want a change. Problem is I've never really traveled or had any knowledge of what else is out there, so I'm hoping someone can help me based on what I'm looking for. I've been looking at different places in Washington and just hoping this can help progress my research.

I'm a 22 year old single mom of a 2 year old and sell insurance for a living through one of the major companies. Likely anywhere I move will have an agent I can transfer to so I'm not really limited as far as jobs go but since I work on commission I would like to go somewhere where I can actually make money in insurance. I'd like somewhere that is fairly low cost of living, or at least where my salary will match up with expenses and still be able to save something. Schools aren't a huge concern currently, but daycare centers are. Lower crime rates are also better as I am on my own. I've always wanted to live in somewhat of a small town, but am not open to having to drive over 25 minutes to the nearest store. I wouldn't be opposed to a bigger city either though. Also a big concern is critters, I don't want giant spiders or lizards running around my house.

Also wondering what the weather is like in WA?

Any help with finding a place is truly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 09:14 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,744,716 times
How much money can you afford for rent? Have you looked at the rent costs out here online to get an idea of how much it is? I moved here from the northeast as well...Grew up in New England, lived in NYC for 12 years, NJ for 2. If you are unfamiliar with the weather here it basically has perfect summers of 70s and 80 degrees with some 90+ days. The humidity you have on east coast during the summer isn't a thing here. Most places don't even have AC. Outside of summer months it is mostly rainy and overcast. Upstate NY is kinda similar except replace the rain with snow and colder temperatures. I think upstate NY is on par for a similar number of cloudy overcast days due to lake effect as Seattle so it won't be a shock to you. Most crime out here is property crime though violent crime does happen it is not as bad as NY. I'm pretty sure there is a big insurance company in Tacoma cause I remember getting an email from a recruiter from one a while ago.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
How much money can you afford for rent? Have you looked at the rent costs out here online to get an idea of how much it is? I moved here from the northeast as well...Grew up in New England, lived in NYC for 12 years, NJ for 2. If you are unfamiliar with the weather here it basically has perfect summers of 70s and 80 degrees with some 90+ days. The humidity you have on east coast during the summer isn't a thing here. Most places don't even have AC. Outside of summer months it is mostly rainy and overcast. Upstate NY is kinda similar except replace the rain with snow and colder temperatures. I think upstate NY is on par for a similar number of cloudy overcast days due to lake effect as Seattle so it won't be a shock to you. Most crime out here is property crime though violent crime does happen it is not as bad as NY. I'm pretty sure there is a big insurance company in Tacoma cause I remember getting an email from a recruiter from one a while ago.
I have looked at rent cost in some areas. It looks a bit pricier than where I am now but I'm wondering if income matches up with that cost? The weather sounds ideal for me really, I don't mind rain at all and am hoping to avoid snow and below 40 temps as much as possible...but being from NY I can of course handle a little. Thank you for the comparisons that helps a lot! Is there a lot of property crime?

Old 05-05-2017, 11:16 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,541,318 times
Weather...Dark, cloudy skies Nov-March. Rain, snow depending on location. If you lived back east, you can probably deal with weather. Great summers.

Have a solid job commitment before you arrive. Employers are fickle that way here.

Western WA has no snake or spider issue, that's in the desert.

You might need a 2 bd with roommate.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:03 PM

301 posts, read 520,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb2315 View Post
I have looked at rent cost in some areas. It looks a bit pricier than where I am now but I'm wondering if income matches up with that cost? The weather sounds ideal for me really, I don't mind rain at all and am hoping to avoid snow and below 40 temps as much as possible...but being from NY I can of course handle a little. Thank you for the comparisons that helps a lot! Is there a lot of property crime?

Given the bold criteria (my emphasis), indicates Western WA. I recommend you avoid looking at Seattle Metro completely and focus on other smaller, lower COL locations, such as Vancouver, Olympia, Bellingham, perhaps even Bremerton or Port Angeles.

Some areas I think that would be worth your time in investigating are in Eastern WA, but will have harsher weather, would be Walla Walla, Tri-Cities (Kennewick/Richland/Pasco), Wenatchee, Ellensburg, possibly Spokane or Pullman.

Good luck in your search!

Old 05-05-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosin View Post
Given the bold criteria (my emphasis), indicates Western WA. I recommend you avoid looking at Seattle Metro completely and focus on other smaller, lower COL locations, such as Vancouver, Olympia, Bellingham, perhaps even Bremerton or Port Angeles.

Some areas I think that would be worth your time in investigating are in Eastern WA, but will have harsher weather, would be Walla Walla, Tri-Cities (Kennewick/Richland/Pasco), Wenatchee, Ellensburg, possibly Spokane or Pullman.

Thank you, this was very helpful!

Old 05-05-2017, 02:54 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,541,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosin View Post

Everything in Eastern Washington mentioned above, is desert, with exception of Spokane. They are barren, hot as hell in summer (especially Tri-Cities) and have snakes. Produce grows there from being irrigated by Columbia River.

Spokane has trees, and snow & ice in winter.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:58 PM

197 posts, read 229,903 times
Don't know how much you are into outdoor activities, but somewhere in the Cascade foothills near the the I-5 corridor might be of interest to you. The area around Bellingham seems pretty.

While the lower elevations of western WA do have a mild climate, with rain the predominant form of winter precipitation, if you want winter snow you just have to drive up into the Cascades. The average yearly snowfalls in the higher elevations put the Adirondacks to shame, so if you want to ski or just enjoy some snow all you have to do is go up.

And even eastern WA's major cities like Spokane and Yakima will have milder winters than the Adirondacks, although there will be more snow and cold relative to western WA (outside of the mountains).

Old 05-08-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlx View Post
Don't know how much you are into outdoor activities, but somewhere in the Cascade foothills near the the I-5 corridor might be of interest to you. The area around Bellingham seems pretty.

While the lower elevations of western WA do have a mild climate, with rain the predominant form of winter precipitation, if you want winter snow you just have to drive up into the Cascades. The average yearly snowfalls in the higher elevations put the Adirondacks to shame, so if you want to ski or just enjoy some snow all you have to do is go up.

And even eastern WA's major cities like Spokane and Yakima will have milder winters than the Adirondacks, although there will be more snow and cold relative to western WA (outside of the mountains).
While the lower elevations of western WA do have a mild climate, with rain the predominant form of winter precipitation

Any suggestions for places like this?

Old 05-08-2017, 09:45 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,065,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Everything in Eastern Washington mentioned above, is desert, with exception of Spokane. They are barren, hot as hell in summer (especially Tri-Cities) and have snakes. Produce grows there from being irrigated by Columbia River.
That is a good thing. You make it sound awful!!

It is a desert, with lots of water. So you end up with a desert climate and lakes. Not a bad combination.

You can drop Wenatchee from your list....the rental vacancy rate is under one percent and even buying is very difficult. According to the Seattle Times it is the new, hip cool city in Washington state!!

Tri-Ciities is growing rapidly....has the best educated workforce in Washington state, low housing costs, and wonderful weather.

Spokane is nice, but settled so opportunities are somewhat limited. But people can succeed anywhere. It is pretty there and close to lots of the outdoors. If your into the outdoors Spokane is the place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington