Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 10:33 AM

32 posts, read 32,454 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Washington State in Whatcom Co near, Puget Sound. We plan on heading to the mountains a few times a winter for skiing. We also plan to have a boat for fishing.
We are about to buy a new truck this week. Is a 4x4 really needed for road conditions during ski season and or to help pulled the boat out of water up the ramp. It is worth the extra money for only a couple trips a year or will regular 2wd work with studded tires good enough during ski season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 10:44 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
You will have more problems on the boat ramps that ski areas.

I would buy a 4X4 SUV instead of a truck, if your only going to tow a boat and ski.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:49 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,142,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthouse7669 View Post
My family and I are moving to Washington State in Whatcom Co near, Puget Sound. We plan on heading to the mountains a few times a winter for skiing. We also plan to have a boat for fishing.
We are about to buy a new truck this week. Is a 4x4 really needed for road conditions during ski season and or to help pulled the boat out of water up the ramp. It is worth the extra money for only a couple trips a year or will regular 2wd work with studded tires good enough during ski season?
Let us say: "I think" the bulk of trucks in WA are 4x4. Pop onto the dealer inventory list for, say, Toyota (my favorite) and look at the Tacomas, Tundras, and etc. Last I checked, you did have to work a bit to not get 4x4.

I had one, a Tacoma, Gen I. I found it crude and unpleasant on the road in 4x4. Off road, just the opposite. Probably by design, all that.

AWD is another story. Given all the hills, and say the kooky below-freezing and coulple inches of snow, plus ice all over the place, in Puget Sound past few days those are the times AWD helps...but might not save...some drivers. As they say, does not help you to stop. Blizzaks or whatever sure do, though!

Look: my dad lived in Michigan for decades and never had 4x4. He thought it a dumb idea. But he put snows on the cars in December, and SE Michigan is mostly flat. We never had trouble, though it snows like hell there in winter. So in a sense, he was right. He knew his environment, what was necessary and not. Besides, back then 4x4 was rare anyway (1970s and 80s). But even when not, in his later years, he had no use for that.

Anywhere with hills and substantial snow? Yes, AWD or 4x4, OR put those Blizzaks on w/o fail and sand the trunk! I wouldn't do the latter, personally. Friend of mine moved to North Bend (east King County, under the mountains), traded the minivan for a Durango because she could NOT afford to be stopped by snow, she's a professional nanny. They do get more snow than the core part of Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue. Perfect example: rugged neighborhood under the Cascades, hills before the mountains, 6" snow blows in periodically, 4x4 makes sense.

For me, living in suburbia? One of my vehicles is AWD, because of slick roads, and that sucker grabs up just fine: the computer is far faster than I am, though I'm pretty good after learning to drive in Michigan. I see little reason to run around in the snow, though will up to 4" or so in that Porsche AWD. Know thyself!

Hope that helps: it's a risk assessment for your particulars. Plus, 4x4 does have higher running costs (so they say) but also higher resale. I got great money trading in that 4x4 Tacoma for 4x2 Tacoma XRunner that never, ever, goes out in the snow (= deathtrap).

Old 02-23-2018, 10:51 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
Simply put, no it's not "needed".

It can be a benefit in some, rare, situations for drivers who have experience/training in whatever environment. And it can be a crutch that others who lack that knowledge can get themselves into worse trouble with or manage just fine, depending on luck.

My 4x4 truck, for the 8 years I lived in the Rockies (WY, MT and CO ~ with frequent ski vacations) was nearly never shifted into 4x4 out of need. The times I did, it was things like pulling a stump or a car stuck in a ditch, that required it. We took our FWD Jetta to the ski hill the lions share of the time. Depending on the boat ramp and the boat, that Could be the time you need 4x4 most... dirt ramp that turns slick with water and and a heavy boat?

Generally speaking, 4x4 isn't needed by the vast majority. Those who need 4x4 know Exactly why they need it, when and where it'll be used... I think you'll be perfectly satisfied with a 4x2 truck and a second set of rims/tires with winter rated tires (no studs needed unless you're planning on ice racing).

Old 02-23-2018, 11:12 AM

1,663 posts, read 875,493 times
If you are going to Mt. Baker, often you will have to put chains on if you don't have a 4x4, studded tires or not. As far as boat launches go, it depends on the launch and the size of the boat, and I have seen two wheel drive trucks stuck on launches before. Four wheel drive is something that's much better to have and not need, than to need and not have. If you are concerned about resale value, 4x4 trucks hold their value and sell easier up here. I would absolutely go with a 4x4.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:39 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
If you are getting a TRUCK, it should be 4x4. There is little worse, in the snow, than a 2WD truck.

If you don't need a TRUCK, then you could do just fine with a FRONT wheel drive CAR.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:27 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,281 times
4WD is worth it. It's easy to get stuck while towing on wet grass and mud, even if you just drive a little off the gravel into the mud. Don't underestimate the mud in Western Washington.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Depends on where you live. My truck and my wife’s CUV are both 4WD, but we live at 600’ elevation, and if snows anywhere on the Eastside we get the most. It’s hard to find a 2WD in any parking lot here. In your situation, front wheel drive and studded tires should be fine, but you have the trouble and cost of changing them out twice a year. I would not get a 2WD truck just for a boat, mid-sized SUV would be better for snow and even rain. I used 4WD yesterday just to get to the freeway on the way to work and also have 250 lbs. of sand in bags in the bed.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:20 AM

12 posts, read 22,246 times
I have never regretted having a 4x4 truck. There's been many times I've had to use it. Boat ramp and mountain trips included. If you have a 2x4 just ensure that you always have weight in the bed over the rear axle. This of course takes up bed space if you plan on using that.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:36 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,730,517 times
A front drive car with good winter tires/studs will get you skiing no problem. The boat launches are a different story. Lake Whatcom and most other lake boat launches are littered with loose gravel or are only gravel, period. Salt water launches get a nice buildup of green slime and are slick as snot. Worse yet, they don't enforce "power-loading" of boats onto trailers, so some ramps have a drop-off at the end of the concrete that the trailer can fall into during lower tides. I watched a Hyundai SUV launch a boat only to have the trailer drop off the end, and the incoming tide was up over the back bumper and into the back of the SUV by the time they got a 4x4 to help pop them out.
Also, something to consider, Whatcom county has had no new boat launches built since the 80's, and our population has tripled. Unless you are going boating in the off season it's best to find a friend, business, or relative nearby the launch that will let you park because you won't find a place to park your truck and empty trailer otherwise unless you go at 4am. The last couple times I've gone boating we took another vehicle, parked the empty rig in a business's parking lot about 2 miles away (we knew the owner and had cleared it with them) then drove the car back and parked closer, then went boating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington