Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 2,615 times

Advertisements

Currently live in Vancouver, WA but the rent is too expensive. I'm looking to move, hopefully staying within Washington.

My max budget is $900 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment/townhouse/condo/duplex. Would love a townhouse but doubt I'd get a decent one for $900 a month.

I'd prefer an area with a low crime rate (if that's even possible). I'm originally from SW Florida (grew up there) so I'm completely lost here in the NW. Hoping to get recommendations of where to move to. Oh, the only real requirement is that there is a Wal-Mart somewhere around, which I figure is practically everywhere.

The only recommendations I've gotten from people that I've talked to is Spokane and some of the smaller cities around Seattle or north of Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 07:22 PM

499 posts, read 471,216 times
Much depends on what kind of work you do, and where those jobs are most plentiful. Based on your post, do you plan to work at a Wal-Mart, or just want one close for shopping?

Old 09-26-2018, 08:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
If Vancouver is too high for you, try the Tri-Cities, Pasco, Richland or Kennewick. Vancouver has gotten popular with retirees, from Seattle area and also other states, especially California, due to no state income tax, and hop across the bridge for major purchases with no sales tax. That is driving up home prices and rent.

Old 09-27-2018, 01:08 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
Depends on your work. Eastern Washington like mentioned above and the recommendations you have gotten.
Be ready for Snow in the winter and dry hot weather in the Summer.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:21 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Yeah, you're going to need to need to give us more info.

Low rent with a Wal-Mart around - could be anywhere from Centralia to Puyallup to Omak to Tri-Cities...

Old 09-27-2018, 07:33 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
I might try around Centralia or Shelton. Perhaps Shelton in particular. Both have a Wal-Mart. Both are more affordable than Vancouver. More affordable than Tumwater, which is where the next closest one is. Centralia/Chehalis has some good and bad areas, you just have to look carefully for areas that seem nicer. If you want to live out of town, you might find a rental in one of the neighboring small towns or rural parts that are quieter than in the city.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 2,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Yeah, you're going to need to need to give us more info.

Low rent with a Wal-Mart around - could be anywhere from Centralia to Puyallup to Omak to Tri-Cities...
What else can I tell you? Walmart for work. That's my only needs really. I like snow. I don't want to live in a dump. Finding a nice 2 bedroom certainly is impossible here. Really wanted to live in a townhouse, but they are even more expensive.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:33 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaaggyy0 View Post
What else can I tell you? Walmart for work. That's my only needs really. I like snow. I don't want to live in a dump. Finding a nice 2 bedroom certainly is impossible here. Really wanted to live in a townhouse, but they are even more expensive.
Okay. Still not much to go on...

If you need to live by a Wal-Mart, like snow, and need fairly low rent - that's almost all towns with populations above about 5,000 people in Eastern WA, much of Southwest WA, parts of the Olympic Peninsula, etc.

Basically anywhere that's not close to Portland, Seattle, or any of the inflated real estate bubble areas like Wenatchee or Walla Walla.

Take your pick.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:32 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,526 times
Forks.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:26 PM

5,447 posts, read 7,740,196 times
People from Vancouver are starting to move up to the Longview area to find cheaper housing. There are two Wal-Marts up there. That's about a 45 minute drive from Vancouver so you can go check it out anytime without much effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington