Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 04:22 AM

1,195 posts, read 986,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLonsdale View Post
Actually, the Costco moved to its new location to the north end of Bellingham in order to better accommodate Canadian shoppers. There is a plan in place by Costco to extend Arctic Way to the arterials that extend north to the Canadian border. So don't blame Canadians - blame Costco!

But you can thank Canadians in part for Bellingham's attractive airport. Canadians drive a huge part of the flight traffic demand out of there ... particularly to the sunshine destinations. Unfortunately, the airport's business has dropped lately thanks to fewer Canadians coming down. The sluggish loonie is a big reason why.

As for Blaine - it's an attractive border town in my opinion. Have you seen the housing developments at Semiahmoo? But it IS a border town. Also, the downtown has a ton of potential, and the same folks who fixed up Fairhaven in Bellingham apparently are working on building projects in Blaine. However, it is definitely NOT White Rock-south (White Rock is just heavily built up in a positive way with a ton of parks and waterfront amenities and shopping); and it is most certainly not a mini-Bellingham (the vibe and politics are so different). As for Canadian shoppers IN Blaine? I suspect there aren't that many. Canadians in Blaine are either: a) buying gas; b) buying beer; c) going to the post office or parcel service; or d) they are lost. They also love the new Edaleen Dairy store downtown (and who doesn't?).

However, you are not going to find a Niagara Falls or Detroit/Windsor dynamic at Blaine/White Rock. Vancouver just has too much of a gravitational pull for activities, and Seattle requires a day-trip.
Besides traffic, what's wrong with being a border town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 06:11 PM

122 posts, read 190,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Besides traffic, what's wrong with being a border town?
I don't see anything wrong with it. Actually, I see it as an advantage - as I made clear in my post.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:36 AM

1,195 posts, read 986,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLonsdale View Post
I don't see anything wrong with it. Actually, I see it as an advantage - as I made clear in my post.
The new homes in Semiahmoo are nice. Many are gated for some reason. There's a feeling of calm and safety, which could become boring. Blaine is slowly growing according to the census. I rather live in the Blaine area than most of Bellingham.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:26 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Blaine could work if you shop groceries in Bellingham, which I bet most Blaine'ers visit regularly. I still think Canadian traffic wouldn't be a bad thing, unless you live right near the pier area near the border entrance. I don't think White Rock residents complain about traffic, even though they have more.
Well what happens is the border traffic equalizes between the Blaine peace arch, Blaine truck crossing(which also has regular lanes as well for those that don't know), and the Lynden crossing. All it takes is a weaker USD and we'll have 90 minute waits northbound backed up everywhere. I have seen border traffic backed up almost to the end of the northbound truck crossing I-5 offramp, and over the H-street exit overpass on I-5. Right now, and for the past several years, the CDN dollar has been in the dumpster so its not nearly as bad as it was but there is still more Canadian shoppers than I expected. I can't imagine the next time things get close to PAR again.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:26 PM

335 posts, read 421,772 times
I used to live in Blaine. It was a very nice, quiet little town that was a relatively quick drive from Bellingham. I bought up there because it was significantly cheaper than Bham at the time, and sold for way less than I should have because I was in a hurry.

I'd rather live in Bham if I ever make it back out that way, but Blaine might be all I can afford by that time. I want to wish for a market correction of some sort, but that sort of makes me look like a jerk.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:30 PM

67 posts, read 61,634 times
Poor school. Families don't want to put their kids there.

Old 04-27-2019, 01:19 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, I'm surprised Birch Bay hasn't been "discovered" as a great, scenic place to live, retirement destination, whatever.

Shhhhh....

I discovered Birch Bay on my own....and I haven't told anyone about it.

I have some friends in the Bay Area who are Birch Bay fans....but I didn't tell them about it, and they didn't tell me about it.

I knew that they had stayed at Semiahmoo a number of times...but I didn't think they had ever left the resort .

I didn't know they were Birch Bay fans until I mentioned that I had been there.

And I'm not a Bellingham fan.....but, like you, I am a Port Townsend fan .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington