Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,400 times

Advertisements

Wanted to find out how it is driving around Leavenworth and frequently going to Wenatchee in winter. Any feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 08:42 AM

147 posts, read 167,756 times
i know people who live in Wenatchee and travel to Leavenworth every day for work. They have no issues commuting in winter. One of them just has a front wheel drive small sedan.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:44 AM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
You’ll get a lot of snow… But locals are quite used to that and it is a major highway so it’s kept pretty clear.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Check out public transportation options. (Routes likely few / day in Winter... but it is an option).

Road will be cleared, so conventional car will be fine for the commute. Getting out of your driveway in Leavenworth will be the challenge.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:43 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
Check out public transportation options. (Routes likely few / day in Winter... but it is an option).

Road will be cleared, so conventional car will be fine for the commute. Getting out of your driveway in Leavenworth will be the challenge.

Plus, you're just going to possibly one day or night hit a rough patch and slip or slide into something. I now know how snowy Wenatchee and up north Manson (on Lake Chelan) is in the winter. It needs to be looked at closely before you move so you have a plan all figured out. You will get snow and ice and it will happen somewhat frequently.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:56 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Leavenworth is "east Cascades", Wenatchee is "lower east Cascades". The difference is important. While the two towns are only separated by 32 miles, the climate is different. Leavenworth gets snow, Wenatchee much less. The elevation drops big-time between the two, but is not always noticeable along the highway.

Driving around Leavenworth revolves around one main road, US Highway 2. (once the main route from Eastern WA to Western). It typically is clogged during the warm season, and around Christmas. Allow atleast 15 minutes to get through Leavenworth during the high season. But if you like fake Bavarian, you will love Leavenworth!

Old 06-08-2019, 12:11 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
Leavenworth is what it is, fun. Entertainment. A fun getaway from western, or even eastern War-shing-ton.

Tee-hee. Just kidding. I'm from Edmonds but now that I've been away from western Washington for 16 years, yes, count 'em, 16 years, I have met so many people who insert the 'r' after the 'a' and before the 's', that, if I had a dollar from each of those happy occasions, I could retire now instead of 5 years from now.

They would tell me that they couldn't help it. Oh sure!

Old 06-08-2019, 06:35 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
And somewhat modifying my earlier post, Wenatchee is actually more like Tri Cities than Leavenworth. Though Wenatchee is closer to the cascades. Mission Ridge ski area is a gem and is what, about a 25 minute drive away?

Old 06-13-2019, 02:34 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingeastwa View Post
Wanted to find out how it is driving around Leavenworth and frequently going to Wenatchee in winter. Any feedback?

Why would you set yourself up to do this? Setting up this snowy commute route on purpose is not the best idea I have heard today. Live in the town you work in, set up so you can walk to work in serious snow conditions, or ride a sled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington