Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 07:19 PM

28 posts, read 133,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
If I could live anywhere between San Antonio and Austin, I probably would not be interested in leaving. That area, as far as I'm concerned, is the best in Texas and I would love to live there despite Austin's traffic problems. Unfortunately, when you work for the federal government, you cannot pick up and move anytime, anywhere you desire. For all practical purposes, it would be impossible for me to transfer to Austin or its surrounding areas.

That is one of the drawbacks to having the good salary and ability to retire at 50...

I have been stuck in Uvalde (a little over an hour west of San Antonio) for quite some time now and am definitely ready to move on. Uvalde is certainly nicer than the surrounding areas, but it has absolutely nothing to offer a guy like me and cannot even compare to Austin, Seattle or even Bellingham. In fact, Bellingham would feel like NYC compared to this place.

Bellingham and Seattle have their drawbacks, true, but either would be a huge step in the right direction for me.

If you're the outdoor type, I would definitely choose Bellingham over Seattle since you'll have less traffic, lower rent/housing cost. But if you're into the nightlife, clubbing, dating...your best bet is in Dallas, Houston or Austin. I can't imagine that you're able to find a job in Bellingham but not in the bigger cities in TX? What's your field of work if you don't mind me asking. I lived in Dallas when I was single, best time of my life when I graduated from HS in Bellingham. So much to do vs living in WA.

So there you have it...coming back from TX, I definitely missed the sun. The dreary winter weather is a killer!!! You'll be surprise to know how many people in WA take antidepressants!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 09:20 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,735,161 times
If you're old-come to bellingham, you'll fit right in. Other than that take the Seattle job. The income/cost ratio of housing and your $77K/$90K is about the same, but Seattle has alot more to do and certainly alot more options should your job not pan out. In Bellingham I wouldn't move here unless I had a "concrete" job lined up, or don't mind working some crap job, there's lots of those here.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,823 times
I love Seattle!! Seattle has an amazing food scene and unique restaurants/coffee shops in each neighborhood. It's easy to commute in Seattle because it's a smaller type of big city. One of my favorite things about Seattle is that it's a big city but still feels homey and small. You can bike everywhere and use public transportation. There are lots of active young professionals and just friendly people everywhere you go. Honestly I don't like Bellingham's weather as it is always at least 10 degrees colder than Seattle and is just really freezing/bad weather almost the entire year. People get really mean and grumpy all through the winter season. There is a lot of poverty in Bellingham and it's more of a depressing place to live. You could always just visit Bellingham for a day trip during the summertime to hike or whale watch other than that there's not much to do there.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:27 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatravelive View Post
Honestly I don't like Bellingham's weather as it is always at least 10 degrees colder than Seattle...
That's actually one reason I chose Bellingham over Seattle!

Old 08-25-2014, 05:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,621 times
I understand your dilemma, but it sounds like your decision is made so Bellingham it is. As you have stated the brain storming with others seems to have been good for you and also your decision making process. I live in Ca. And will retire soon...thus wanting to change cities. I am also thinking about Bellingham, or Portland. What is your take on these cities? Anyway not to worry about the dating..it will happen for you. Just do what you enjoy doing and watch the ladies come your way. Good Luck! D.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:31 PM

300 posts, read 414,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackm3 View Post
If you're single..my answer for you would be none of the above. We moved back from Austin, TX 3 years ago to Bellingham because I grew up in the area and it's a great place to raise a family. I have to admit that WA is very scenic and the summer weather is great. But cost of living, housing, gas is alot MORE than TX. Median home price in King county is 450k, in Bellingham it's about 350k. For that price, you can get a pretty nice home in TX.

I have some single friends and was told that the dating scene in Bellingham and Seattle sucks unless you're into the hippie lifestyle...where do you reside in TX? If you can make 90k..go to Austin. I'm planing to move back to Austin this year if possible.

GL!
Good for you from considering moving back to Austin. I have lived at Austin for 30 years, but we will likely move to Mukilteo when we retire. However, my wife still like Austin and we might keep a smaller place and spend Winter in Austin. Austin has changed a lot in last 30 years. Other than the traffic, I think that Austin is getting better especially in downtown area. But, the summer is too hot and we need a place that we could see the water in Summer. For the price at the water front in Lake Travis, we could buy a smaller Sound view house in Mukilteo.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:46 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
For Seattle, look at some of the West Seattle neighborhoods, which are easy commutes to the Sea-Tac area. You should be able to find a one-bedroom for $800-1,000, then scout out the general area for a house purchase.

If you were married with children I'd recommend Bellingham. It can be nice, but it can also be quite boring over the winter when there's very little to do, other than skiing or snowboarding at Mt. Baker. The dating scene in Seattle, even accounting for the supposed "Seattle Freeze", is a hundred times better than Bellingham, in that there are tons of things to do year-round.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:58 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,535,208 times
Its amazing how many people want to move to Bham. It sucks here lol. Especially if you are younger and not an alcoholic/stoner. My gf and i have 2 more years here then are gone asap.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:22 AM

68 posts, read 148,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Its amazing how many people want to move to Bham. It sucks here lol. Especially if you are younger and not an alcoholic/stoner. My gf and i have 2 more years here then are gone asap.
Yes, the WHOLE town is drunk and stoned 24/7. Students, Professionals, Working Class People, Elderly, School age children, Government workers, Law Enforcement, Bus Drivers, Street Sweepers, Bird Feeder attendants, Window washers, Donut makers, Lawyers, Refinery workers, Nurses, Cooks, Teachers...... all drunk and stoned. No demographic is left untouched by legal or elicit drug use in Bellingham. The town is practicably a nest of zombies.... old junky zombies.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:48 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
It's funny how one person can hate a town so much, and another can love it. I've been in Bellingham for just over three years now, and I have yet to feel any desire to live anywhere else. Maybe ask me again in another 30 years, who knows?

P.S. I'm not a stoner and I never drink, amazingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington