Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 09:14 PM

11 posts, read 10,769 times

Advertisements

My husband is extremely morbidly obese and usually rides a scooter to the store to pick up groceries. He can go a couple miles if the road is flat but when he encounters hills it is problematic. We are looking at relocating to Port Townsend, Langley or Lake Conner and have only visited Langley in person. I am wondering if Port Townsend or La Conner are hilly and what is the condition of the roads? Potholes? Are they scooter friendly? I do not want my husbands mobility to be compromised. He suffers from depression and a host of other mental health challenges so getting out and about is vital for his mental state.

I am also wondering if Port Townsend, Langley or La Conner were affected badly by the wild fires in BC because my husband has asthma. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 06:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Those places are all pretty flat, being near water they are in the 50'-15- elevation range. While there will be some potholes they not nearly as bad as Seattle. All of those areas subject to the nasty smoke, and it was that way all the way down to Seattle where my employer passed out masks last summer. Wildfires cannot be predicted. We had no smoke issues at all this year (knocking on wood).

Old 09-23-2019, 08:19 AM

499 posts, read 471,125 times
Haven't been to Port Townsend, but La Conner is mostly flat. You can use google maps to check elevation by putting in two locations in a city and then clicking the walking or biking icon at the top. The result will show the elevation change between the locations. This more significant issue might be the 8 months of drizzly weather and how that would impact your husband's ability to use the scooter as well as his general mod. Some people find the rain, grey skies and short days depressing, so that is something to consider.

As for smokiness, as Hemlock said, those periods come and go. Over the past three summers I've spent in western WA, 2017 had a week or two of very bad smokiness, 2018 was several weeks, and 2019 had zero. If climate change pushes western WA and BC toward drier summers, there will be more fires and thus more smoke. Something to consider if you are looking to relocate.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:00 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,707,654 times
There are also winter inversions when the air is stagnant and smoke from woodstoves and car exhaust hangs close to the ground, sometimes in fog. These result in burn bans, but the air is still bad for asthmatics during that time.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:53 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
The areas are flat, but any homes you consider would need to be evaluated for whether they're really appropriate for scooter riding versus traffic. If you're right in the tourist part of downtown, OK.... but these are small towns, and country roads, not not all are built with shoulders or sidewalks or even bike paths.

Find the path first, then the homes along it.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:34 PM

58 posts, read 134,433 times
The elevation of downtown PT is around 16 feet; the elevation of nearby Morgan Hill is 292 feet. The highest elevation within the PT city limits is around 340 feet. There are significant areas of the town that will be inaccessible to a scooter!

Reference: https://en-gb.topographic-map.com/ma...Port-Townsend/

Old 09-24-2019, 09:17 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Pt T is not flat. You could choose a neighborhood, however, that has easy (flat) access to a grocery store. Uptown is one such neighborhood. It also has a public library. You could look also in the vicinity of the Safeway/Albertson's in town (whatever they call it, now). The food co-op is a great place to shop, but it's in an area with a lot of traffic, so probably wouldn't be practical for a scooter.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:27 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,672,180 times
La Conner has some pretty steep hills in places but is flat in others. The difference is so great between 1st and 2nd street that there are steps between them at some points. The museum is at the top of a hill, but you can go around the hill if you need to travel from one side to the other.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:39 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,707,654 times
You aren't going to find many flat towns near Puget Sound.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:27 PM

11 posts, read 10,769 times
Thank you. I think we are focusing on Gig Harbor and Seattle. I know Seattle is hilly but the mental health facilities are top notch. My husband wants gastric bypass but due to paranoia, depression and anxiety he is not considered a candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington