Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 08:38 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,752,127 times

Advertisements

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ngs?src=usn_tw

Kind of surprised to see our neighbor Oregon so far down the list. Oregon tanked their ratings mainly due to mediocre education, fiscal stability, and opportunity.

#15 on natural environment seems a little low. Does New Hampshire really have that much better natural environment than Washington or Minnesota? I've been to both states and would disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 11:48 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,737,856 times
We didn't fare so well in the last 4 categories, but it looks like the first 4 carried us into the #1 spot.
Healthcare could be skewed because the state doles out a lot of free healthcare when the insured can barely afford the copays and out of pocket expenses.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:44 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,170,439 times
#14 in natural environment? Washington has everything from high deserts to rain forests? Take a trip to the North Cascades and tell me again how we're #14.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:51 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,441,903 times
This state is absolutely terrible for health care, unless you live in or around Seattle or Portland.

Old 12-06-2019, 08:40 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,893,699 times
These lists are always inexact science, but then again Washington, and Seattle, always seem to score high.

On the healthcare issue, not sure what you mean as being "absolutely terrible". Washington ranks #4 in this category from the report. From a compassion standpoint, WA has one of the best expanded medicaid programs in the country. Perhaps you were referring to something else in the health care industry.

Old 12-07-2019, 12:58 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,376,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
#14 in natural environment? Washington has everything from high deserts to rain forests? Take a trip to the North Cascades and tell me again how we're #14.
Solely based on "the quality of air and water in a state, as well as exposure to pollution and toxins". Three National Parks don't count.

Old 12-07-2019, 02:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
There is more to Washington State than Seattle?

Shh... Don't burst their bubble.

Shipping all our USA coal to China, then breathing the soot does not fair well for WA. (Directly downwind)

Old 12-07-2019, 03:16 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,441,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
These lists are always inexact science, but then again Washington, and Seattle, always seem to score high.

On the healthcare issue, not sure what you mean as being "absolutely terrible". Washington ranks #4 in this category from the report. From a compassion standpoint, WA has one of the best expanded medicaid programs in the country. Perhaps you were referring to something else in the health care industry.
I’m referring to the fact that there is inadequate healthcare per capita everywhere in the state except in the greater Seattle area. Washington still has many rural/remote areas and they are poorly underserved. If there were as many medical clinics as there are marijuana stores, healthcare in Washington would be awesome.

P.S., many individuals/families are not eligible for “expanded medicaid”.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:40 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I’m referring to the fact that there is inadequate healthcare per capita everywhere in the state except in the greater Seattle area. Washington still has many rural/remote areas and they are poorly underserved. If there were as many medical clinics as there are marijuana stores, healthcare in Washington would be awesome.

P.S., many individuals/families are not eligible for “expanded medicaid”.
So Seattle is supposed to give rural areas more than the $3B a year they already do? If someone chooses a lesser populated part of Washington, there will be compromises. Beauty at a lower price, sure, but lower populated areas have less money to pay for infrastructure and services. They are already extremely supplemented by King County and don’t pay state income tax. They need to choose what price they are willing to pay to have a lower price.

Old 12-07-2019, 04:10 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,505,022 times
This state is absolutely terrible for health care, unless you live in or around Seattle or Portland.

When I was "between jobs" living in Moses Lake back in 2015 my wife and I got Washington State "Apple Care" and it paid for our doctor and dentist bills pretty much in full. I don't know what you're talking about. That only lasted for about 3 months until I found a job in my medical field over in Dodge City, KS.

We were really happy to have that medical/dental and I remain grateful to the State of Washington for it to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington