Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 03:32 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,733,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
If you moved to the Midwest you could find a piece of cheap land.
There are places in the Midwest where land is only $1000-$3000 an acre, and less than $20k with septic and utilities. All the great views, wildlife, and greenery don't drop $100 bills in your lap to help afford life here unfortunately. If concerned about snow and cold in winter, can always take the RV and snowbird in the south and just rent a spot for the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2020, 04:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
MOVE ?

Sound like my WA tax assessor...

consider those who dedicated years to improving your now desirable community did NOT do so with the intent to LEAVE it!

They did not build their homes brick by brick, improve their landscape tree by tree to have to SELL it...

They did so to have a nice place to retire in the presence of their friends and family.

Old 03-11-2020, 05:03 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,733,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
MOVE ?

Sound like my WA tax assessor...

consider those who dedicated years to improving your now desirable community did NOT do so with the intent to LEAVE it!

They did not build their homes brick by brick, improve their landscape tree by tree to have to SELL it...

They did so to have a nice place to retire in the presence of their friends and family.

I don't like it a bit, but my last decade of standing on my "podium" for change has been countered by 1000's of California implants that are perfectly happy because it's "better than California".

Old 03-12-2020, 08:37 AM

Our SWWA county gets 250 immigrants / month from the south (OR, CA) (since 1990s). Thus plan accordingly for a Long-term Retirement homesite.

Definitely use a Low Tax building guide / plan if building new construction. Talk to the assessor!

Old 03-12-2020, 04:06 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
If you moved to the Midwest you could find a piece of cheap land.
Awww, now you're spoiling a great opportunity to have a real big tantrum online, especially for those who can't seem to do much except complain on their keyboard..

Old 03-12-2020, 05:58 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFullTimer View Post
I am more frustrated than ever before regarding real estate prices. Properties continue to rise, real-estate investors buy up the properties add a few thousand to the price and then sell at a higher price. The asking price for properties are usually much higher than the counties assessed value. The only really affordable priced property is located where people do not want to live such as the desert and high elevations where cold weather and snow is a problem.

The homeless crisis is rising because people are being forced out of their rentals due to the rising rent increases and this is not just limited to rentals. Young people can not afford the rents alone try to buy a place. They are stuck living with relatives etc. I don't see where this problem will ever end.

The minimum wage never meets the cost of inflation. Store prices continue to rise, gas prices continue to rise, utilities continue to rise, health care continues to rise. Meanwhile AI artificial intelligence robots are taking over and replacing jobs. Amazon just started a automated check out system which requires no store clerks during check out. How many cashiers are or will be out of a job?

I am still trying to find a miracle property. I have saved a good size down payment 20k but the banks will not provide a loan on land alone and land with improvements are much higher than 20K. It must have a housing unit on the land in order to get financing. I can not afford a mortgage on a house because I am on social security which is not enough income for a mortgage. In most cases my social security income will not be enough for even a rental. I also have my dog (yellow lab) and most places would not accept a big dog.

I have found some land for 20k but land at that price does not have any improvements or utilities. I wouldn't mind going solar and hauling in water but these options require additional monies. Then septic is usually required by the counties, another 10k.

So I am really frustrated at the age of 62, just wanting a piece of land where I can play with my dog and build a garden. I am going to need a miracle.
Should I outlive my spouse, I fully intend to sell our house on Anderson Island and move to an apartment or condo. No desire to stay in WA state. I can rent an apartment where my son lives for 900 a month. Who needs the aggravation of a big mortgage and home repairs.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:10 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
And NO property tax abatement for disabled vets like we had in Texas. We paid zero PT tax there.

Imma out of here if I outlive husb.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:50 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
And NO property tax abatement for disabled vets like we had in Texas. We paid zero PT tax there.
You paid ZERO property tax in Texas? If I were a tax-paying Texan, I wouldn't be happy to foot the entire bill for anyone, including disabled vets, to pay absolutely nothing at all. Everyone should contribute some money towards fire, paramedics, police, etc.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:06 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,531,425 times
I understand not wanting to move in retirement. I am from the Midwest and now live in Nevada. If we didn’t own we couldn’t afford to stay here. It’s a combination of Californians moving in to retire and having 30 tech companies moving here.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:31 PM

Of course, as per thread... WANT /CHOICE is not an option for many seniors, they have not had a significant raise, and no paycheck for 25-30 yrs. Being displaced as a tax value refugee is not due to poor planning either. Since Retirement / no paycheck / no pension / no healthcare....my WA prop taxes increased 100% 4 yrs in a row, 6 yrs of 30% + annual increases. Not something you expect or plan, or can afford with no income wndfalls as options for foreseeable future.

We provide volunteer assistance to rural retirees...many are crushed by increases in fixed costs. Healthcare, housing, insurance, providing rehab for wayward adult kids, $50 - $100k / pop), raising grandkids when parents flake out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington