Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 08:06 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,082,509 times

Advertisements

Cabin fever here.
And we have been totally isolated for 6 weeks

We are near PA.

I kinda want to do a road trip.
Cry me a river if you don’t like it.

We have masks, and gloves, a full tank of gas that will do over 400 miles and are fully aware.

If we could fish this query would be a no brainer.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 08:10 AM

3,695 posts, read 2,416,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post

What would you do?
Go for a drive and walk away from people with my mask and eye-wear.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:20 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,082,509 times
That is kinda the plan .

Most places are shut down.

No beaches or stuff like that are open

Might just have to do stay at home for home improvements.

That is all we have done for weeks.

I do have to do some more gardening and stuff like that.

There is 4 cords of wood that are clean and fallen that need to be cut to size.

I just wanted to change it up and have some fun.

That’s all I got.

Andy.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:43 PM

8,217 posts, read 16,708,095 times
I try to find something local, semi-local that we haven't visited before. Or at least take a different route on a trail.

Most importantly, for me, I get out on the water and paddle - local rivers and lakes. It's the best place for social distancing while enjoying the outdoors. Funny thing was, I paddled our local lake a couple of days ago and saw a local I've met out there before. We shared the lake all to ourselves, at safe distances, while chatting. It seemed almost like life was back to normal for a little while, a nice reprieve from the four walls inside the house.

Derek

Old 04-26-2020, 10:07 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Cabin fever here.
And we have been totally isolated for 6 weeks

We are near PA.

I kinda want to do a road trip.
Cry me a river if you don’t like it.

We have masks, and gloves, a full tank of gas that will do over 400 miles and are fully aware.

If we could fish this query would be a no brainer.

What would you do?
I really don't understand this urge to go on a road trip some people are having. If you get out every day, or nearly every day, for fresh air, exercise, and enjoyment of your surroundings (your right at the foot of the Olympic Mountains, for heaven's sake!), that should give you enough outdoor activity and inspiration from the elements, that the urge to burst out and go on a long road trip won't arise. And Andy, don't you have property near the water? You could go kayaking or canoeing, for variety. You're in an ideal location. You could even drive to Pt Townsend, and kayak off one of the beaches, for a change of scenery. Heck, if I lived where you are, I'd maintain a small sailboat, and would raise a sail and go off to enjoy the islands or at least, cruise the coastline for a day.

You're very fortunate. Make the most of what you have.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
When we lived on the water we sailed and kayaked nearly everyday. That is a good idea.

Being stuck 'inland' at the moment.... I take a motorcycle ride daily. Bluebonnet season in TX, and I am in the midst of best motorcycle roads in Texas. (Not saying much...). I do have switchbacks and curves and very scenic creeks nearby. 5 min.

Lot of remodeling going on at my place. Keeps me active 16 hrs / day.

If in PNW, I would be on a Rhododendron, azalea, daffodil, and lilac quest.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
There is nothing wrong with a road trip. As long as you stay in the car, except maybe for gas, and return the same day. I have done that a few times, even an hour on the road helps a lot with the cabin fever. Especially if you enjoy driving, and have a winding, scenic road such as 101 from PA to Forks.

Old 04-26-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
When we lived on the water we sailed and kayaked nearly everyday. That is a good idea.

Being stuck 'inland' at the moment.... I take a motorcycle ride daily. Bluebonnet season in TX, and I am in the midst of best motorcycle roads in Texas. (Not saying much...). I do have switchbacks and curves and very scenic creeks nearby. 5 min.

Lot of remodeling going on at my place. Keeps me active 16 hrs / day.

If in PNW, I would be on a Rhododendron, azalea, daffodil, and lilac quest.
And don't forget the cherry blossoms!

Old 04-26-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There is nothing wrong with a road trip. As long as you stay in the car, except maybe for gas, and return the same day. I have done that a few times, even an hour on the road helps a lot with the cabin fever. Especially if you enjoy driving, and have a winding, scenic road such as 101 from PA to Forks.
OK, I can see that, definitely. But some people are planning multi-day trips, crossing two states, and suchlike, asking if it's safe to cross X or Y state.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:31 PM

1,517 posts, read 991,998 times
Careful Andy. You might cause some heads in the "people-who-actually-try-to-live-their-own-lives-on-their-own-terms-and-not-the-media's-or-gummit's-are-'entitled'-unamerican-commie-pinko-swine-who-should-be-summarily-executed" threads to explode.

Might be best not to even mention wanting to go on road trips on this site for a while, at least until this has blown over and the media and career bureaucrats are obsessing 100% on the next crisis du jour. Don't feed the trolls.

Last edited by Ttark; 04-26-2020 at 07:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington