Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 09:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

ah... Seattle... That is kind of a 'different' state.

I did see some free testing in Portland when there last week, but they still preferred you to be symptomatic and have insurance (As the Seattle site states as well), tho they will test a 'pre-symptomatic' if you insist and they have extra resources / available test kits.

these 48 - 72 hr results are really too long to control this particular virus (Unless everyone sequesters during wait time).

The $4 Tests that S Korea offered the USA in March would come in handy for travelers and those working with the public everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 10:00 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I don't know if it's fake news or not but I heard that it's really hard to get tested for covid in Canada unless you are really sick and you have to pay for it? In the US so many people without any symptoms get tested daily and it's absolutely free in a lot of places even without insurance. So the difference in cases could be a lot closer per one million when you take into consideration the number of asymptomatic cases in the US. The daily lifestyle between US and Canada is not that different.
No you do not have to pay for it under normal circumstances. Meaning, if I have symptoms, testing is free. If I want to go against the travel advisory of NOT to travel outside of Canada, then the cost is $50. This is for BC, no idea about other areas of Canada.

Canada's method of testing was to test people who have symptoms, or people that have come into contact with people who have had Covid. It makes more sense since testing everyone is a waste since just because you get tested today, doesn't mean you don't contract it the next. So in the US, you have millions of people who have never had symptoms, walking around thinking they are Covid free because they had a test last month? Not sure what good that does. Everyone, should be following the guidelines, so that asymptomatic people do not spread the virus.

The proof is in the different approaches. Canada is doing better than the US, and BC is doing MUCH better than Washington State, so I think I'll stick to our approach.

Old 10-22-2020, 01:01 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
No you do not have to pay for it under normal circumstances. Meaning, if I have symptoms, testing is free. If I want to go against the travel advisory of NOT to travel outside of Canada, then the cost is $50. This is for BC, no idea about other areas of Canada.

Canada's method of testing was to test people who have symptoms, or people that have come into contact with people who have had Covid. It makes more sense since testing everyone is a waste since just because you get tested today, doesn't mean you don't contract it the next. So in the US, you have millions of people who have never had symptoms, walking around thinking they are Covid free because they had a test last month? Not sure what good that does. Everyone, should be following the guidelines, so that asymptomatic people do not spread the virus.

The proof is in the different approaches. Canada is doing better than the US, and BC is doing MUCH better than Washington State, so I think I'll stick to our approach.
Canada also has fewer people than the state of California alone

I guess the huddle in fear for a constantly shifting narrative works for you guys

Old 10-22-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Canada also has fewer people than the state of California alone

I guess the huddle in fear for a constantly shifting narrative works for you guys
This reasoning doesn't fly.

Nearly 82 percent of Canadians live in cities, dense, very dense cities.

There has been no shifting narrative in Canada and no one is huddling in fear.

Old 10-22-2020, 05:21 PM

499 posts, read 471,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
This reasoning doesn't fly.

Nearly 82 percent of Canadians live in cities, dense, very dense cities.

There has been no shifting narrative in Canada and no one is huddling in fear.

Natnasci, Please excuse the xenophobic types on this forum. I admire Canada's approach to COVID and its relative success in limiting the spread, particularly in Vancouver, which we have visited many times. British Columbia has a population of ~5 million people, and has had 12,330 cases. Washington state has a population of ~7 million people and has now had 100K cases.

I'd say B.C. has done a very good job so far, even though cases have risen in recent days.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartIrish View Post
Natnasci, Please excuse the xenophobic types on this forum. I admire Canada's approach to COVID and its relative success in limiting the spread, particularly in Vancouver, ...

I'd say B.C. has done a very good job so far, even though cases have risen in recent days.
Agree, Better to actually be making progress on slowing spread and keeping residents healthy than to be arguing and accusing and watching large numbers of unnecessary deaths when all the resources and knowledge is available to save those lives.

Stuck in Texas! *hoping to survive to be able to visit Canada again (Lived on Thetis Island in the early 1990s)
Life was so peaceful (and safe) there. A GREAT 'getaway' (when allowed)

Old 10-23-2020, 12:12 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartIrish View Post
Natnasci, Please excuse the xenophobic types on this forum. I admire Canada's approach to COVID and its relative success in limiting the spread, particularly in Vancouver, which we have visited many times. British Columbia has a population of ~5 million people, and has had 12,330 cases. Washington state has a population of ~7 million people and has now had 100K cases.

You apparently struggle with understanding where the xenophobia is coming from... maybe the country with a closed border?

Justin Trudeau’s own words recently:

“We keep extending the border closures because the United States is not in a place where we would feel comfortable reopening those borders,”

Old 10-23-2020, 06:42 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
As an American citizen married to a Canadian citizen I, actually understand some of their ideas.
I like most of their ideas but I’m a bit shocked with some of it.

It is just that simple.

When a armed intruder comes to harm you and your family.... you should have the right to protect you and your family..

My cousins father was a prison guard.
He had an ex prison guy enter his home to create mayhem.
He shot this guy in the foot to protect his house.

He was, charged with lots of charges He also had to totally explain the situation.
He was,also found innocent of any misdoings.

Why is this this wrong?.

Old 10-23-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
You apparently struggle with understanding where the xenophobia is coming from... maybe the country with a closed border?

“We keep extending the border closures because the United States is not in a place where we would feel comfortable reopening those borders,”
The restricted border, has NOTHING to do with xenophobia.

That type of thinking seems to align with the thought process of conspiracy theorists, anti-maskers and those who want to politicize a health issue.

Is practically the whole world xenophobic now because of the restrictions put on Americans travelling outside the US?

Do I think the EU is xenophobic because of the possibility of putting Canadians on the no entry list?

No, I believe that they are just trying to what's best for their citizens under extremely trying times.

I simply can't understand why some can't see that.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:03 PM

1,348 posts, read 707,025 times
Quote:

bingo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington