Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 03:56 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,006,598 times

Advertisements

It's a small town way up along WA-542 in the far north Cascade foothills. I wouldn't have thought much about it until I noticed on its Wikipedia page that Glacier has a median household income of $10,875, dead last in the state of WA --- poverty rate of 34%. More recent figures (2017) have the income up a bit, to a still-horrendous $16,633.

The population is almost entirely white, it's not a reservation town. Crime rates seem to be average for the state. Seems to be mostly known for its lodges for tourists visiting Mt. Baker.

To anyone familiar with the east Whatcom County region: what's going on here driving this specific town's extreme poverty, which would look bad even in Appalachia? I can't find a lot of information on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 04:13 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
It's a small town way up along WA-542 in the far north Cascade foothills. I wouldn't have thought much about it until I noticed on its Wikipedia page that Glacier has a median household income of $10,875, dead last in the state of WA --- poverty rate of 34%. More recent figures (2017) have the income up a bit, to a still-horrendous $16,633.

The population is almost entirely white, it's not a reservation town. Crime rates seem to be average for the state. Seems to be mostly known for its lodges for tourists visiting Mt. Baker.

To anyone familiar with the east Whatcom County region: what's going on here driving this specific town's extreme poverty, which would look bad even in Appalachia? I can't find a lot of information on it.
Mostly retirees? They can have some of the worst "incomes"....

Old 01-25-2021, 04:16 PM

Never mind. I looked myself... umm... maybe they're all "off grid" granola types???

Old 01-25-2021, 05:06 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,486,856 times
From what I know historically, it is a home for ski bum types renting and working at the Mt. Baker Ski Area on the lifts, Ski Patrol or in the eating establishments or equipment rental stores in Glacier. It could be the “off grid granola” types, too, but they also can be found near Deming, Maple Falls and Kendall, which has a large Russian immigrant population.

I used to ski there way back when and my mom worked at the old lodge before it burned down.

Old 01-25-2021, 05:09 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Retirees running lodges? That would be my guess. Btw, many retirees have low income as mentioned, but it does not necessarily mean they are poor.

Old 01-25-2021, 05:40 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,006,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Retirees running lodges? That would be my guess. Btw, many retirees have low income as mentioned, but it does not necessarily mean they are poor.
True. However I'm looking into the demographics more closely, and only 14% of the population (as of 2000) was over 65. I'm thinking the off-grid hippie explanation is more likely --- although why would all those people congregate in one place, especially somewhere that's cold and rainy, not great for growing food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
From what I know historically, it is a home for ski bum types renting and working at the Mt. Baker Ski Area on the lifts, Ski Patrol or in the eating establishments or equipment rental stores in Glacier.
Hmm. Is it possible that they have one of those living arrangements where their employer provides room and board in exchange for a cut of their wage? I could imagine a setup like that on a ski resort since it's not exactly easy to commute there during peak season.

Actually, the seasonal aspect could also help explain it: they're only working at the resort a few months per year, so their annual wages are low.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I get that.. that's why I put it in "... ".

Old 01-25-2021, 07:00 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
True. However I'm looking into the demographics more closely, and only 14% of the population (as of 2000) was over 65. I'm thinking the off-grid hippie explanation is more likely --- although why would all those people congregate in one place, especially somewhere that's cold and rainy, not great for growing food?

Hmm. Is it possible that they have one of those living arrangements where their employer provides room and board in exchange for a cut of their wage? I could imagine a setup like that on a ski resort since it's not exactly easy to commute there during peak season.

Actually, the seasonal aspect could also help explain it: they're only working at the resort a few months per year, so their annual wages are low.
Bingo.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:50 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,486,856 times
Some of the skiers/snowboarders I know told me that some can stay in their vans in the parking lot. A couple I know sold their Glacier condo as they can stay in their Sprinter van in the parking lot for the weekend. I haven’t been there for ages but there were bunk beds you could stay in at a lodge. Probably not long term, though.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:37 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Quote:

You make a good point, but 2000 population stats are now over 20 years old. Things can and do change.

I would think this small town is probably a mish mash of old and young, some with money, some without. But I have not been up that way for atleast a decade, so I don't pretend to really be an expert on this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington